Why some unique/server births aren't getting high bids.

Moderator: Trade Moderators

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Why some unique/server births aren't getting high bids.

Post by GuardianKnight »

1. They are not as awesome as others. There might be that 1 guy out there who will pay you 5 to 10 million gold for an item the size of a house deed, but not without holding onto your item for a long while.

2. You want high # to double digit millions for items that sold for 500k to 1 million just barely a 2 years ago. You thought that the previous owner had payed such an high price, it might be the true value. If we use cave as an example, he only bid high prices to cut out all potential competition. The people you are selling to now are the same people that didn't want to compete with him the last time your item was on the market.

3. Your item is just ugly. It is unique, but it is just god awful and fits nothing you would ever decorate. The only reason anyone would buy an ugly item is to have all of the ugly items.

4. Your item is just too close to average looking. Example: books. Who would want that? Just the other guy with books, and he isn't going to pay a crazy price just to buy the other books that he will eventually want to get rid of.
Open books are a different story. Their artwork implies class. The other books just look slike someone scribbled on a page.

5. Your item isn't a unique or a server birth. Quest items have their own classification and are only as valuable as the intended use of the owner.

6. You decided to sell your item right after a big IDOC that everyone had attended. People are expecting a quick deal. You are NOT going to get good offers during this period. People expect that your item came for free and that you will be willing to be lenient. Lock it up for a couple weeks
Last edited by GuardianKnight on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Why some unique/server births aren't getting high bids.

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

6. Everyone already spent all their gold on two-story statues!
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

A lot of people just want to get an idea of the worth. Usually the best way to do that within this forum is to "put it on the market". I don't see anything wrong with that. It's fun to ride the excitement of a newly obtained rare no matter how ugly the eye of the beholder considers it. Finding out the worth is part of that fun.
I truly agree that having total and explicit intent to sell so early after the idoc is not the best idea. But that depends on the items as you stated.
I also feel that with housing in such a funk, rares become a more popular commodity to play with. The market tycoons on the shard have already made their transition from real estate to antiquities.

PS: my ultimate goal is to own all the book and literature items. When I get on the come up alittle more, I'm going to be That guy who overpays for those things "ugly" or purdy aside. There's always one weirdo out there looking to indulge in their twisted pixel impulse.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

THe problem with "just testing to see what kind of price an item will get" is that we have a forum just for that. It is called the price check. We even have trader discussion. That is two forums that expressly help you avoid being pushed into selling.

By placing an item in the rares section and not actually intending to sell, you are alienating yourself and pissing off future buyers.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Downs

Post by Downs »

That used to drive me nuts how cave would buy stuff.

I bid 27mil,but I can't pay you in full yet, if you wanna settle for 8mil,we can do the deal now.

This was constant. He rarely paid his bid price for items.

But GK is right, what cave "paid" for items is irrelevant towards pricing.

Aside from the iron Maiden, 2 story statues, cannon, and armor suit. Those items are all easily worth billions each
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

I know what your saying is true. But the price check just doesn't attract the "foot traffic" that the selling thread does. It's unfortunate, but the items worth is what someone will pay for it usually. So a casual passerby offering up their opinion in price check is less valuable than what a buyer is offering up in the sales thread.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Return to “Traders Discussion”