Auction PM Ettiquette

Moderator: Trade Moderators

Carpatheus

Auction PM Ettiquette

Post by Carpatheus »

Hi all,

So I've noticed something in the traders forums that doesn't seem to have a clear cut answer, and I myself am guilty of. The issue of receiving private bids via PM on an open auction.

My question is, what is the protocol here? Is a PM private bid acceptable to post? It does beg the question that one could make up fake bids just to drive up their own price on their auction, if they were unscrupulous enough to do so. However, in the case of an 'actual' private bidder, what's the best way of accepting his or her bid without slighting the rest of your potential buyers?

Any vets have some suggestions on this one? Thanks :D

Capitalist

Re: Auction PM Ettiquette

Post by Capitalist »

Clarify what you're doing.

People know who is buying x, y, and z item. The issue of a private bid is when a friend of mine wants something they know I want or someone who doesn't want to get upbid by me or people in general has complete protection by the buyer.

Private bids: you can lie and post a fake bid
no one will ever bid on an auction when you clarify that you're accepting private bids

Public bids: people will always bid on an auction that clarifies it's strictly public

Best option: if you accept private bids, post the private bidder... or else you're gonna have some very quiet sales where nothing really gets moved as a result of noting when people let someone outbid them with anonymity.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Return to “Traders Discussion”