Going hunting, woot.

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

Dam after derrick reads this there goes the skill gains :(

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

To be honest, I would not play here if skill gain was slower.

UO has been out for 10 years. It's a player-ran shard. It should be easier. This skillgain is harder than the current leading T2A shard. Definitely don't make it harder - it would only detract players.

The only reason I am gaining so fast is because I have made many characters on other shards and am a huge power gamer. I have all of my accounts doing something that benefits my other character. Have my beat-up dummy gaining strength and healing himself, my main tank mage beating on the dummy, and then picking cotton/making money.

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

Derrick the owner has all of these fond memory's of how hard skill gaining was when he played T2A, He told me to gm parry he had to fight blade spirits for days, To gm it, Meditation shouldn't gm till 90 magery and other little statements like that, I am glad you came by today cause he set the skill gain speed up.

Who knows, he has heard a few complaints on skill/stat gain now he might keep the new speeds :D

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

Skill gain was only so hard because everyone was dumb and didn't have all the programs/knowledge that everyone has access to now. It wouldn't have been so hard if it was your 100th character and you had Razor doing everything for you.

Shiiiiiiit, I remember GMing many skills using UOE while avoiding the skill delay and hitting 100 in a few seconds :)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for this feedback.

We've done some work lately to ease stat gain. How were your stat gains during that same period?

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

Seems like my stats will be alright by the time I hit 7xgm. I wouldn't mind them being a little faster, but it's not bad.

Kronus

Post by Kronus »

bigcheez wrote:To be honest, I would not play here if skill gain was slower.

UO has been out for 10 years. It's a player-ran shard. It should be easier. This skillgain is harder than the current leading T2A shard. Definitely don't make it harder - it would only detract players.

The only reason I am gaining so fast is because I have made many characters on other shards and am a huge power gamer. I have all of my accounts doing something that benefits my other character. Have my beat-up dummy gaining strength and healing himself, my main tank mage beating on the dummy, and then picking cotton/making money.
Hehe... even though i'm completely for FAST skill gains... to argue this if you think back in T2A... what were the skill gains?

Case closed=D

Blakheart

thats too fast, not like t2a at all

Post by Blakheart »

hmm I think hitting 100 in archery took me around 4 months or so, playing 6 hours or more per night.
I was the second on our shard to gm it.
You could only gain a certain amount per hour, etc.

I picked this shard because of the realistic skill gains. Every other player shard has newbified skill gain systems, you can gm in a day, etc.

Those shards also attract the jerks imho.

If you can gm a skill in a day to two, may as well just let everyone start at 7x gm and call the game a shooter.

skyfire

Post by skyfire »

lol, agreed!
c:\dos
c:\dos\run
run\dos\run

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I remember spending 2-4 hours a day after school 4-5 days a week, for 2 months to get from 50 to 100 parrying using a wisp trick (there was a bug to get them to stop casting, so we'd get 3-4 wisps stacked on 1 tile and cross heal)

GM healing took a week of macroing over night, every night.

GM resist was always easy. There was always a bug or method to get fast resist gains.

I like slow skill gains, but I also don't mind "jumping" into things. Most people come to free shards because they know skill gain is sped up, they just want to play. People will macro to 7x more now than they did back in the old days. People use to actually play with skills in the 60s-80s w/o thinking twice. Now it seems everyone has to get everything to GM before they'll even step foot into a real "out of town situation"

That's just my observations from playing on several successful (and unsuccessful) UO shards
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

i remember GMing parry in 1 day on OSI... skills werent as hard as you guys say they were

Deano

Post by Deano »

bigcheez wrote:i remember GMing parry in 1 day on OSI... skills werent as hard as you guys say they were

Did you spend all 24 hour of that day doing it? I found it took a very long time. Begging mate sto leave their blade spirits running around, even the sheep at the farm helped out a bit.
Deano