Secondage is the only shard thats population is increasing.

Topics related to Second Age
Faust

Re: Secondage is the only shard thats population is increasing.

Post by Faust »

The comment about the "annual" wipe was actually meant to mean the disposal of 2.0 after 3.0 was released. Your buddy Pisces was the one that made the commnet about 2.0 being up for about a year and scrapping it once 3.0 is released since the "fun" factor would be vaporized by that time. Azaroth seemed to agree with that notion from my understanding. This technically means there will be an annual wipe or close to it when 3.0 is released around this time frame. I really don't see things such as removing syncs to be an "incentive" in the "fun factor" spectrum. Sure, some of the ideas may actually be decent but in reality the game is older than 10 years and you're trying to customize it in order to be "fun" like so many before it. This will only bring the shard down in a matter of time just like the rest *cough* Divinity. Do you remember only a year ago when you said I was wrong about Divinity dying? Wow, a whopping 60 clients on average from the 200-300 previously during that comment.

Who was right about that outcome just like every single time before it such as the demise of the original IPY and DFI failures?

The same thing will happen with me being right this time too. That is what happens when you have 10+ years of experience around these shards. Hey, just like the several dozen times in the past... Don't say that I didn't tell you so my son, don't say I didn't tell you so. :wink:

Tron

Post by Tron »

Faust, you have 10 years of experience on uo free shard forums, the rest of us have 10 years of experience actually playing the game.

Sh*t in your own cereal, leave the rest of us out of it.
V SISTERS UNITE! SAVING OUR VAJAYJAYS FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL!

Homie
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Homie »

LOL

Homie
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Homie »

I for my part think that a "good" and stable staff is a big issue on many other free shards.. or admins that turn into gods and that may have forgot why and for whom they are hosting a shard.

A big shards forum i visited some time ago had a sticky thread from its owner that showed "what we got to deal with the whole day" ... something like this). In this thread the shard owner flamed and raged about some kids that were obviously stupid and inexpierenced (ok they wrote dumb pages) .. you could call them newbs if you like to.

Im glad that my eyes dont have to see something less professional like that on these boards although its conceivable and understandable that staff would like to LET IT OUT in such a manner. :mrgreen:

Mazer

Post by Mazer »

Faust wrote:The comment about the "annual" wipe was actually meant to mean the disposal of 2.0 after 3.0 was released. Your buddy Pisces was the one that made the commnet about 2.0 being up for about a year and scrapping it once 3.0 is released since the "fun" factor would be vaporized by that time. Azaroth seemed to agree with that notion from my understanding. This technically means there will be an annual wipe or close to it when 3.0 is released around this time frame. I really don't see things such as removing syncs to be an "incentive" in the "fun factor" spectrum. Sure, some of the ideas may actually be decent but in reality the game is older than 10 years and you're trying to customize it in order to be "fun" like so many before it. This will only bring the shard down in a matter of time just like the rest *cough* Divinity. Do you remember only a year ago when you said I was wrong about Divinity dying? Wow, a whopping 60 clients on average from the 200-300 previously during that comment.

Who was right about that outcome just like every single time before it such as the demise of the original IPY and DFI failures?

The same thing will happen with me being right this time too. That is what happens when you have 10+ years of experience around these shards. Hey, just like the several dozen times in the past... Don't say that I didn't tell you so my son, don't say I didn't tell you so. :wink:
You’re about three months behind on whether or not there will be two separate IPY shards or a wipe in b/w the launch of an ‘evolved’ server. Pisces was just one person who wanted to go down that route b/c he’s strictly PvP oriented and just wanted a shard with fun large-scale PvP that you currently can’t find on any pre-ren shard. And ffs, that proposed course of action would have only had a single wipe if it were the chosen one (cut the annual wipe BS; that was never on the table). The majority supported one server with no wipes (200+ votes total) and to go down the path of ‘evolution’. If Azaroth were just going to put out a pure IPY clone with the intention of bringing it down for something different eventually, it would have been up by now.

With a shard like UOSA, people can safely assume it will remain consistent especially now that it’s proven itself. Any changes made will be done so without bias to follow the vision of accurate gameplay and people are attracted to that. Throw in a guy like Derrick to run the show and you pretty much have a guaranteed recipe for success. It’s easy to bet against a new IPY since most custom shards do fail. But to say any shard with new ideas has no chance at success is absurd. Equally absurd is your assumption that a complete 1998 replica is the only type of pre-ren shard that people can possibly enjoy. Considering the hundreds of people that have moved on from here, it’s plain as day that this isn’t the be all and end all of pre-ren free shards. With proper planning and the right people, it can work. The reason I stay optimistic about IPY is that it’s been a while since Az revealed his intentions for a new shard. Since then, there have been several discussions touching on various aspects of the game to address the issues from the first IPY and some of the overall issues with all free shards. The coding and testing process will go on for as long as it needs to before launch.

I’m not going to sit here and predict that the new IPY will have 1,000 online for years to come. Maybe it will. I will however say that as long as they don’t repeat the same mistakes other shards have made (Divinity most notably), it will be a good time.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Homie wrote:I for my part think that a "good" and stable staff is a big issue on many other free shards.. or admins that turn into gods and that may have forgot why and for whom they are hosting a shard.

A big shards forum i visited some time ago had a sticky thread from its owner that showed "what we got to deal with the whole day" ... something like this). In this thread the shard owner flamed and raged about some kids that were obviously stupid and inexpierenced (ok they wrote dumb pages) .. you could call them newbs if you like to.

Im glad that my eyes dont have to see something less professional like that on these boards although its conceivable and understandable that staff would like to LET IT OUT in such a manner. :mrgreen:
That's another reason why SecondAge has nothing to ever worry about... All these other T2A shards (and series at this point) are reknown for corruption.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

Time will tell if I am right just like the other several cases where it was so. :wink:

Watch and see, lol.

Also, last night was another new record since last summer.

Online Peak: 625 on 1/2/2010 9:28:31 PM

There was over 350 unique IP's logged on as well.

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

Tron wrote:Faust, you have 10 years of experience on uo free shard forums, the rest of us have 10 years of experience actually playing the game.

Sh*t in your own cereal, leave the rest of us out of it.
lololololololol
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.

Faust

Post by Faust »

HAHAHAH THAT WAS SO FUNNY WASN'T IT MIKE! :shock:

Hey, at least I heard Tron is no longer the worst member in +- now that Brad is in the guild. :wink:

Lebowski

Post by Lebowski »

Faust wrote:The harcore fans of IPY even admit that the "boring" factor will set in after around a year and that would be the best time to load up IPY 3.0 which is a custom shard that will look absolutely nothing like the Pre:UOR eras that we all love. Azaroth has stated that this would probably be the best route for his ideas. This tells you that IPY that everyone blindly worshipped thinking it was the best thing since sliced pizza will collapse with in a year just like the last time. Only a fool would actually waste their time on that shard again. There is no similarities between that shard and the pre:uor eras. It's a custom shard just like the many you can find right now over at JoinUO.com that are not fun at all. The only true fun experience with Ultima Online is an accurate version of the real deal that existed such as UO Second Age. There is no need to waste time playing a custom version of a 10 year old game that will just be wiped clean and disappear annually.
fear, lies, and manipulations aren't going to keep this shard on it's toes. In fact, weird presumptuous posts like the one above are going to bring the same attention and curiosity to the competition that posts like mine and others are. If you don't contribute some kind of idea other than ignoring a potential problem and putting your head in the sand, you're just making things worse.

It's not hard to advertise a bit. It could be done free and effective with a good team.

Another idea would be to come up with some good events, prizes, and other incentives to keep players logged in the first few weeks of each shards launch.

You have to be a fool to deny there's no potential for these 2 prowlers to affect this place. Don't get caught on the tiny details and weird conversations about minute things that don't really matter to a majority. Not as many people are going to delve deep into the things you're discussing. They're going to get sucked in by hype (something each of these players can, and already have generated a good deal of), just like everyone does with everything else.... don't get blind sided.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

To avoid what appears to be potential confusion, we wish the mentioned and other shards the best of luck, and I personally do not feel like we need to be in a competitive relationship with other free-shards. In the gaming world UO is a small community, and respect for other shard owners and their shards would be highly appreciated in these forums.

We operate JoinUO in order to give smaller and/or newer shards exposure, as does the UOGamers team with ConnectUO (whos extended downtime last year spurred JoinUO). This isn't about who is king of the hill.

Discussion about other shards should however be directed to forums more suited to these topics, not our discussion forums.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

RupertTCat

Post by RupertTCat »

Faust, you didnt even play IPY, you are just running off of a bunch of assumptions and bull. You cant even get T2A era pvp accuracy right - you can't pvp worth a but added in a bunch of pvp changes to the shard, now whenever someone talks about UOSA they always say Great shard, but the PVP is horrible.

so what right do you have talking about a shard you never even played on?
what right do you have making pvp changes when you are GOD AWFUL at pvp?

1. Yes IPY 2.0 had 100-300 players before it shut down, because azaroth warned MONTHS in advance that it was going to shut down and most players didn't want to stick around.

2. If you wern't banned for being a complete idiot on the ipy 3.0 discussion forums you would have a better idea of where the shard is going. Saying things like

"The harcore fans of IPY even admit that the "boring" factor will set in after around a year and that would be the best time to load up IPY 3.0 which is a custom shard that will look absolutely nothing like the Pre:UOR eras that we all love."

is complete nonsense and not what is going to happen at all to the shard.

3. "There is no need to waste time playing a custom version of a 10 year old game that will just be wiped clean and disappear annually."

It wouldn't be wiped annually, but wiping it frees up problems that all free shards have such as douchebags owning every nice housing location in the game, never doing anything with the houses, and hotspots being eliminated. This is a problem that you have on secondage currently with people owning 15 houses.

4. how does it feel being the biggest douchebag on the forum?
Last edited by Derrick on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language

Faust

Post by Faust »

blah blah blah, the usual ranting nobody that goes on about the dreaded Faust getting inaccurate changes put into the shard. Why do you keep on ranting about this but fail to answer my simple question about what inaccurate features was implemented here because of me?

Wrong, I played IPY shortly up until the server wipe, please try again.

Second, Azaroth banned me because he can't handle contstructive critism about him and his views. He has always been like this since working with him and Rixus during the IPY beta where he accused me of hacking after beating him several times in duel. He is an insecure nobody that leaches off the work that other people does for him no differently than the promo leaching of wtfman.com for his crappy shard too. Seriously, look at his pleas for progammers right now because it's rather pathetic. You would think if he actually cared enough that he would sit down and learn how to code to begin with.

Joke my son, joke.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

RupertTCat wrote:It wouldn't be wiped annually, but wiping it frees up problems that all free shards have such as douchebags owning every nice housing location in the game, never doing anything with the houses, and hotspots being eliminated. This is a problem that you have on secondage currently with people owning 15 houses.
Shard wipes are the worst possible thing a shard could do. Simply erasing all in game acheivments people have reached shouldnt be considered a real solution to anything.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Faust

Post by Faust »

Can you just imagine the enthusiasm?

Hey everybody we're wiping the shard today!

Weeeeeee dawwwwwgies, shard wiping time!

:lol: