Playing a PvP Swordler

Topics related to Second Age
Lucas Wood

Playing a PvP Swordler

Post by Lucas Wood »

Hello,
I'm some days old now on this shard and started to play a swordman. I come up to skills:

Anatomy
Swordmanship
Tactics
Healing

But my experience I got (I died often at the britian graveyard by PKs), that I should learn to fight with my char (or to escape).
Cause I don't know how to fight against these PKs.

My main problem is, that I'm afraid of loosing all of my stuff, cause I need a long time to collect gold to rebuild it, so I only want to take with me, what I only and really need. This is why I don't want to put in magery in my template.
If I use magery, I can lose all of my regs and to buy them and to lose them every time agian, (for me this is too much work). This is why I started a swordler first.

Now, my questions:
1. which skills should I put in to do PvP with my char? Could you offer me some templates for my char to do PvP?
2. Is magery really necessary?
3. Whats about parrying? Relevant for PvP?
4. I tought of becoming a Dexxer with Lumberjacking and Swordmanship. Is this an good idea? Cause I also want to go hunting too for (mobs :D)
5. What benefits does Resistant Spells bring me? I only know the new OSI Shard Ruleset. I think they are different here.
6. Same Questions like 5), but for Poisoning.
7. In the early times of UO a Poisoning Fencer/Swordler was a good PK.
Cause I think you could paralise the other player and infect him. Is this effect (still) working here? Are there PKs out there witch such a template?
8. What will happen to me if I become red one day and die? How can I receive a horse anymore?
9. How do you play the Sword PvP char and what will you carry with you and which items do you wear?

that's all for now :D Thank's for your help so far!

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Playing a PvP Swordler

Post by Menkaure »

Lucas Wood wrote:Hello,
I'm some days old now on this shard and started to play a swordman. I come up to skills:

Anatomy
Swordmanship
Tactics
Healing

But my experience I got (I died often at the britian graveyard by PKs), that I should learn to fight with my char (or to escape).

My main problem is, that I'm afraid of loosing all of my stuff, cause I need a long time to collect gold to rebuild it, so I only want to take with me, what I only and really need. This is why I don't want to put in magery in my template.
If I use magery, I can lose all of my regs and to buy them and to lose them every time agian, (for me this is too much work). This is why I started a swordler first.

Now, my questions:
1. which skills should I put in to do PvP with my char? Could you offer me some templates for my char to do PvP?
4. I tought of becoming a Dexxer with Lumberjacking and Swordmanship. Is this an good idea? Cause I also want to go hunting too for (mobs :D)
5. What benefits does Resistant Spells bring me? I only know the new OSI Shard Ruleset. I think they are different here.
Cause I think you could paralise the other player and infect him. Is this effect (still) working here? Are there PKs out there witch such a template?
8. What will happen to me if I become red one day and die? How can I receive a horse anymore?
9. How do you play the Sword PvP char and what will you carry with you and which items do you wear?

1) a dexxers is a good first build to get used to the game. Swords, healing, tactics, anatomy, resist spells and hiding IF you don't want Margery. Though Magery is nice to have. But again this is the character you should use to learn the game more with so I'd stick with hiding for now, this way you can run away and hide when in danger. Then once you understand the game more, build a character with Magery so you start getting a grasp for that.
2) Magery isn't necessary but it's really nice to have. Recall scrolls are annoying and it's nice to be able to pop a big heal and cure yourself at the drop of a hat.
3) parrying is pretty pointless in my opinion.
4)lumber jacking does nothing on this server except let you cut wood. The lumberjack warriors weren't introduced until after this servers target date. Don't use it.
5)resist helps you take less damage from spells, it's a must
6)poisoning is good if your a little richer, don't bother til you get some money it takes a lot to get up
7)you can't paralyze with a spear here, this was again after this servers target date in 1999.
8) these questions take longer to answer and ill answer when I'm less busy at work. Also contact me via pm and ill give you a little start up gold.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Lucas Wood wrote:Hello,

Anatomy
Swordmanship
Tactics
Healing

Now, my questions:

1. resist, swords, tactics, anatomy, healing, magery
2. magery is very, very useful. emergency heal, emergency cure, teleport to chase a mage who teleports over a fence, recall to pvp spots, bless.. tons of uses.
3.parrying.. you can pass on that, better to have a free hand so you can chug potions, or use a two-handed weapon.
4. lumberjacking gives no damage bonus, do not put it on a pvp char.
5. you need resist spells to survive against mages, no question about it.
6. posioning.. only to apply poison.. wasted points on a pvper; carry more poisoned weapons if you need it.
7. using poisoned weapons is good, but do not put poison skill on your main pvper.
8. there are no bonded pets that become ghosts, and not ethreal mounts. When you die, you can buy a horse for 800 gold. If you die as a red, and then rez yourself while in stat loss you will lose skill points.. you generally do not want to do this unless you have money and time to spend to gain the skills and stats back up.
9. to be fully prepared you would want your weapons, armor, bandages, heal - cure- strength- explode- refresh- agility potions., magic jewelry or clothing such as teleport, spell reflection, blessings, protection, with razor hotkeys to use them effectively. also magic trapped pouches on a hotkey to free yourself from paralyze.

Welcome to the shard.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Poisoning is actually awesome on a dexxer in my opinion. For example, Swords, Tactics, Anatomy, Healing, Magery, Resist, Poisoning. One of my favorite characters to play. Unfortunately, I dont feel like GMing poison again, and my only poisoner is my alchemist. So he has no resist and just hangs out in town all day. I may switch the magery for resist so I can fight outside, or I may just make a new poisoner, which is actually probably what Im going to end up doing.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

nubnub
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by nubnub »

Just my newbie 2 cents... I would make another character, on a different account, as your initial means of harvesting loot (a ‘different account’ so you can easily transfer items from your harvesting character to your swordsman character if you don’t have a house).

For your initial gold/loot harvesting character I would make a lockpicker. The majority of skills needed for this are free (or low cost) and easy to build. You would need:

• Stealth - Free to build, can be done in town and easy to GM
• Hiding - Free to build, can be trained in town and easy to GM
• Lockpicking - This would require the bulk of your upfront cost since you would need to buy a set of tinkered boxes to train on (fairly easy to find on player run vendors)
• Magery - You really only need enough magery to recall in/out of the treasure chest locations.

Once this character is ready (GM stealth, GM hiding, 95 lockpicking, 50ish magery - recall/mark using scrolls if needed) all you need to do is find a rune library to dungeon chests (most can be found near towns), mark a rune to the library and recall to the various dungeons to pick the chests. You can recall into the dungeon invisible (spam 'hide' as soon as you recall) thus no monsters will attack you, then stealth to the chest and pick it, once the lock is picked stealth 1 tile from the chest and open the chest so you can avoid taking any damage. Now loot the chest and recall out (back to the rune library) - the entire time you are invisible so no PKs (usually, unless the rare occasion that a group runs through and they are tracking), no spawn trying to kill you, etc. From a round of level 4 dungeon chests you can get about 4k in gold and tons of magic items (weapons, armor, etc), regs, scrolls, etc (more than you can probably carry in a single trip). Transfer the armor/weps/gold to your swordsman, sell or trash the stuff you dont want, etc. Now you're harvesting gold/loot with almost no chance of ever dying and this character will serve as an initial foundation to fund your other characters through items and/or gold.
Or, I started with a 50 tailor throw-away character and spent a lot of time sheering sheep, making fancy shirts and selling to tailors – decent gold in this as well with little chance of being killed. I soon discovered lockpicking though and the magic items aside from just gold was a better yield than sheering sheep.
You can also build your swordsman in town without worrying about dying to PKs... You can hire a fighter, trap him/her and have it guard you then beat on it while healing it, etc. There are more in depth threads out there regarding this tactic.

Now your questions:
The cookie-cutter character is a tank mage (swords/magery/eval/resist/tactics/wrestle/meditation)

Yes

It’s my understand parrying is a throw-away skill, not helpful for PVP – but I’ve never used it so my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

4. I tought of becoming a Dexxer with Lumberjacking and Swordmanship. Is this an good idea? Cause I also want to go hunting too for (mobs )
Lumberjacking provides no benefit to swordsmanship and provides not value to fighting PVP, PVM, etc…

Resist for PVP is pretty important in my opinion, most agree to about 90 skill is decent enough and GM resist may be overkill – I have GM resist on my characters and prefer it

Poisoning is a good skill for an assassin… it is very expensive to GM though (for deadly poison) and every PVPer will prob be carrying plenty potions so your hard earned/expensive skill is nullified with a single potion.

Same as response to #6, also, if you paralyze someone the poison will free them from the paralysis (and fencers cannot deliver paralyzing blows here)

You mean going to town to buy a horse from stable masters… You will be guard wacked.

A halberd, lots of pots, regs, trapped pouches and razor skills…

Jay

Post by Jay »

If you don't have a lot of time/interest to make gold I would hold off on GM'ing magery/poisioning but you are really going to want to get magic resist either way unless you never want to leave town.

A template to work towards-

GM- Swords (Macing is another good option because it drains opponents stamina and breaks armor)
GM- Tactics
GM- Anatomy
GM- Healing
GM- Magic Resist (Although 90+ will usually suffice in the interim)
GM- Hiding
30-40 Magery (For recalls/teleport/trapping your own pouches)
The remaining 70~ skill points can be used for wrestling/tracking or whatever you want depending on your play style.
If you're looking to hunt PK's/Find MOB's in the middle of the forest 70 tracking might be nice, or wrestling for PVP because it helps you take a little less melee punishment. It's up to you, choose wisely!

Eventually if you want to do PVP you will want to have GM Magery, it helps a lot.

Sincerely yours,

http://www.uosapvp.com/rankings.html

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Swords
Parry
Anatomy
Tactics
Healing
Resist
Magery 50
Poisoning 50

Start 50 mage 50 poison

Everything but resist will be cake to raise after, if you want inside the city of Wind drop anatomy to 80 and raise magery to 70. You absorb a lot through AR so drop Str to 95 and dex to 90 if you go 70 mage to bring your intelligence to 40 which will allow you to precast Meteor Swarm and Chain lightning off scrolls as well as reduce damage from Mindblast. This will also allow you to cast EV from a scroll if a mage casts cunning on you if you want to fight dirty and you know they go after the more intelligent. (pop a mage hat on first and get full mana so you don't need to wait so long and keep in mind its an opportunist tactic. Keep a DP hally to strike after the mage cures before rearming shield and sword) You will still be over 100 in dex and str both after even lesser potions.

Normal Poison tier 2 (not lesser that's just silly :lol: ) goes a long way even if it is not Deadly.

PS- its swordsman if I hear you say swordler again I am slapping you with a wet trout
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.