Tips & Tricks

Topics related to Second Age
Ifrit

Re: Tips & Tricks

Post by Ifrit »

Mikel123 wrote:
Ifrit wrote: God I hate this character :lol:

Everytime I ran into you it seemed like you had 500 dex and a dp'ed vanq kryss
Actually, when I ran into you (at least, when you were playing Ifrit), I was only using lesser poison. And really, that was only for fighting dexers, to disrupt their bandages if they didn't have cure potions. Though a lot of mages did stop to cure it, even lesser poison, so it was a nice distraction I guess. I didn't see the purpose of deadly poison, since it had less charges (12, vs 20 for lesser) and was much more expensive to make. But I began trying it out and found that it was helpful and did do meaningful damage when someone was running away.

Anyways, this was my best character. It is ridiculously powerful with invulnerable armor, and pretty much unkillable with reflect items too. But, to give you credit, I don't believe I ever did kill you.

You play that char pretty much perfectly to be honest.

Since I always solo on my PK, im giving my tank a rest for a little bit, and gonna start using a similar template to yours, only with macing and no tracking. Just about done with him too, except my resist isnt high enough ATM. With the amount of heal wands / reflect shit I have though, It's not really a big deal :lol:

Also, you are correct on your analysis of DP. If you attack a mage without pots, and he is DP'ed and you're playing your fencer, he's pretty much done at that point. where LP is gonna disrupt him, but probably not stop him to cure when he is running away from you

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Footstools for sure.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I would strongly advise Tracking. I don't know what you'd even use in it's place... maybe Wrestling if you want to duel with the character. But Tracking is by far the most underutilized skill in the game. Like I said, you can track 5 or 6 screens away (I've tracked people/npc's as far as 130+ tiles away from me, which is somewhere between 8 and 10 screens I think). It very often happens that someone with GM hiding will get 8 tiles from you and hide, somewhere in Destard for example. If you try to walk, tile-by-tile, to find them, you'll have a few drakes or dragons on you by the time you find their hiding spot. With tracking, you find them infinitely quicker and without taking too much firebreath :-)

Macing is a good call, I liked it a lot and the ability to use wands/staves is damn helpful. Especially staves, which actually can hit for a meaningful amount of damage against an unarmored tank.

Ifrit

Post by Ifrit »

I did hiding in the place of tracking. I was torn between an eval warrior and a pure dexxer, but decided that giving up dex points isn't worth it these days if a weapon is your primary attack.
And since im not 7xing my PK's, I usually invest whatever leftover points into tracking. 30's def isn't near as good as GM, but with free points it doesn't hurt to get whatever I can out of it. But GM tracking definitely is badass when you solo
Mikel123 wrote: Macing is a good call, I liked it a lot and the ability to use wands/staves is damn helpful. Especially staves, which actually can hit for a meaningful amount of damage against an unarmored tank.
Yeah a macer's staff is definitely the compromise for a fencer/swords poison. Against someone with no pots, it's the same end result whether it's poison or not having any stam

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

Ifrit wrote:I did hiding in the place of tracking. I was torn between an eval warrior and a pure dexxer, but decided that giving up dex points isn't worth it these days if a weapon is your primary attack.
just wondering, how does evaluating intelligence benefit a warrior? or what kind of template is an "eval warrior". it seems when i figure out what skills do something else pops up!

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

magery + eval = full damage spells on a warrior...
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Ifrit

Post by Ifrit »

uofuntime wrote:
Ifrit wrote:I did hiding in the place of tracking. I was torn between an eval warrior and a pure dexxer, but decided that giving up dex points isn't worth it these days if a weapon is your primary attack.
just wondering, how does evaluating intelligence benefit a warrior? or what kind of template is an "eval warrior". it seems when i figure out what skills do something else pops up!
What Sandro said.
Eval warriors were somewhat popular on OSI during t2a, and suprisingly I haven't really seen many if any here.
I always liked the eval warrior over the med warrior myself.

Swords/Mace
Tact
Anat
Healing
Magery
Resist
Eval

Somewhere around 100 str, 40 int, 85 dex. or I've seen 90 str, 80 dex, 55 int stacked with blue and white pots

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

Ifrit wrote:
uofuntime wrote:
What Sandro said.
Eval warriors were somewhat popular on OSI during t2a, and suprisingly I haven't really seen many if any here.
I always liked the eval warrior over the med warrior myself.

Swords/Mace
Tact
Anat
Healing
Magery
Resist
Eval

Somewhere around 100 str, 40 int, 85 dex. or I've seen 90 str, 80 dex, 55 int stacked with blue and white pots
OH! when i thought warrior I didn't think it would have magery. But cool build.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I got killed by this cheesy eq-combo in a tourney the very same day this was posted! I have seen EVERYONE doing this now. Mike|123, you have created a monster.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Well, it works twice as good with an EQ scroll. Are those allowed in tourneys? Otherwise, you're banking on a 50/50 shot of getting the EQ off, a 50/50 shot of not getting hit with their swing during it, and possibly a second 50/50 shot of not getting hit with a swing.

Best way to counteract it is to use razor to ensure you see ACTUAL words of power (I know there's some way to accomplish this). And when you see Earthquake, get the hell away (or disrupt).

By the way... if you wonder where I ever got such an idea...

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 641#p62641
MatronDeWinter wrote: A good Explode-Earthquake-Potion-Hally combo usually works.

Germ

Post by Germ »

Go into Razor. Options tab, down towards the bottom check the Override Spell Hues box. Change the colors from what they default to, in order to keep other people from making their fake spell text show up as the default red/blue/grey colors.

Now if you have a Macro that says,

Vas Flam [Fireball]
Kal Vas Flam [Flamestrike]
cast -> An Ex Por [Paralyze]

The first two will appear in whatever their text color is while the real spell will appear in the color you defaulted harmful spells to.

You can also set the Override Speech Hue. This won't override your hue color for speech, but it will override everyone else's. So if you set this to the default yellowish/orangish color, you can leave the other spell color defaults alone.

Germ

Germ

Post by Germ »

Oh, and another spell tip. Down at the bottom you can change how Razor displays spells. So for instance, delete out the {power} and the [ ] around the spell. Now you will just see the name of the spell. You could also put text before or after the spell... like REAL, or INCOMING.

So instead of seeing

An Ex Por [Paralyze]
Vas Flam [Fireball]
cast -> Kal Vas Flam [Flamestrike]

You would see
An Ex Por [Paralyze]
Vas Flam [Fireball]
Flamestrike REAL / INCOMING / etc.

Germ

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

Mikel123 as much shit as I give you in these forums sometimes I have to give you props. Not many people here would share their closely guarded secrets with the rest of the population.

As this shard is 95% assholes and immature douchebags, I think you deserve a great deal of respect for posting this. If more people shared their tips/tricks here I think the shard would benefit greatly. It really gives noobs a good idea of wtf is going on. Nice Job!

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I find UO much more interesting when the blues and new players have more of a chance against the reds. So I'm all for the spread of information like some of the tricks in my post. The tables/footstools, in particular, are an enormous asset against the new crop of red dexer PKs. There's so many one-tile-wide pathways in the natural land that you can almost always find a spot to drop a footstool and recall to safety (just make sure you do so before you get purple-potioned to death).

Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Really interesting man. It's hearing people's stories like this, and their tips that get me excited for UO.
So, I'm off to log on and chop some wood, and one day Ill be able to use your tips and pwn sum nubs. Thanks man.