icq....noooo way ever ever

Topics related to Second Age
Blakheart

icq....noooo way ever ever

Post by Blakheart »

icq was the nutz in the old days, back when Mirabilis first wrote it ( I own icq # 341)......but before he passed a away a few years ago, even he would not run it.
My computer would not even let me dload it just now...and my security settings are light. It's nothing but a trojan, which is why my puter made me reboot after just trying to install it. It's free, yeah...but idiot are in control (its freeware and anyone can host it for freedload, and add any content to the files.

I've never even heard of anyone thinking of using irc anymore...for about the last 8 years. There is teamspeak, ventrillo......pretty secure programs.
Don't use irc then whine about how somebody hacked your database and ripped off every registered user..cause that has been old news with irc for years now.

Remember the infamous guy that walked into the brit castle and actually KILLED Lord British (invulnerable), richard garriot ingame...did it using icq's backdoor. Last ingame appearance ever of Lord British. Hey its a roleplaying game...and he got killed. He could never appear again. The hacker got banned for life of course...but that didn't help richard.

I can't complain since i still have a few properties Lord British was friended to before he was killed hehe....on napa valley server. Makes my props worth a bit more....also have designer dragon on those house signs

Anywhooo...i got screamin warnings about trojans trying to grab irc from mirabillis.com......i sure as hell aint puttin this ancient reduntant program on my puter..try teamspeak or ventrillo.......irc is like from the age of pong just about??????? And hasnt been improved since!

Remember that the nature of irc allows me to attach files to my message. I can choose to give you the option to accept a file i am sending. I DO NOT HAVE TO ALLOW YOU THAT OPTION! I can choose instead to send you a simple message saying "hiya"....without telling you that I also sent a .exe file with my hiya, that is running as you read my message. You will never know. The nature of irc coding allows this.

I ran spysweeper while typing this and yes, it deleted a trojan that i just got a part of that was in my irc folder.

Irc is classic oldschool Ultima indeed....but do we want to also relive those old days of hacking and virus' just to get that authentic feel?
I hope not.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

My ICQ num was 755316, I'd thought that was a pretty high one. Still remember it to this day but haven't used ICQ for many many years.

Interesting post. Can you suggest a chat app that is text based?

We may put up a vent server, I just haven't gotten to it yet
Last edited by Derrick on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blakheart

Post by Blakheart »

sorry, i typed irc a few times when i meant icq.
I like irc okay.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Okay, I see now. Yes you did have me a little confused.

Please join our IRC channel then. The information can be found in this post