General Questions Thread

Topics related to Second Age
ifotwo

General Questions Thread

Post by ifotwo »

I figured I'd make a thread for all the little general questions about, well, anything in-game that doesn't warrant it's own thread. Just to keep it nice and neat and all in once place.

First question. Treasure maps. I've never really played with going treasure hunting on other shards, so I don't know how well or if the t-map system is implimented on runuo shards. Is it up and running? Does it work properly? Just trying to figure out if I should waste the money making a treasure hunter.

Phoenixes and Phoenix armor. The Second Age was when the phoenix was added in-game, with an incredibly small chance to drop Pheonix armor. (I don't remember the exact chance of dropping pieces. It was either something like 1 in 500 or 1 in 2000. It was incredibly rare.) Unfortuneately, I don't remember the exact AR it gave, but it was impressive. And weighed the same and had the same stat loss as normal ringmail armor. I'm pretty sure it had not that great durability either. I can't seem to find any info on the old stats for it. So, who knows?

Do Gargoyles have the chance to drop gargoyle pickaxes? Those were around since the beginning, and were pretty useful for miners. They upgraded the ore vein to the next higher level if possible. And had something like a 20% chance to dig up an ore elemental of the type you were mining for. Higher level ores had stronger elementals. They were basically pallet swaped earth eles, and dropped like 20-40 of the ore color they were if you killed them. But most miners don't have the chance. The gargoyle pickaxe was also the only way to get these elementals, they didn't spawn naturally.

Efreets were also introduced in the second age, with t2a. They dropped daemon bone armor, which was about a 1 in 200 rare drop. In game?

Slayer weapon modifiers? Are they in-game, working, and whatnot? I know they'll be more rare than magic weapons, but stuff like silver, repond, dragon slayer, etc. will drop, correct?

Ice serpants and glacial staffs?

I think that's all for now =P

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

You should find treasure hunting to be very rewarding. It's running and very accurate, more so than the monster loot as the present.

If Pheonix armor and Gargoyle picaxes were in during second age, it must have been just prior to UO:R; I left OSI about a month before the UO:R realease, and I never saw or heard of them.

Efreets are in, I'll have to check on that drop.

Silver drops, but that's it for slayer weaps. I didn't believe anything else was in era.

I'm going to have to do some research on this, same for Glacial Staffs, although there are Ice Serps.

ifotwo

Post by ifotwo »

Phoenixes were introduced with the addition of t2a, and the armor was part of their loot since the beginning. I do believe OSI didn't really mention much about the rare drops of all the new t2a creature (like ice serps and glacial staffs) because they wanted people to find out themselves. Although phoenixes were hard to kill and didn't have much worthwhile loot for their difficulty besides the armor, which no one really knew about.

And gargoyles have been in since the launch of the game, along with their loot. But the pickaxes were never really big news because no one really kills gargoyles. For profit or training. They suck to train on and have dismal loot. So, once again, no one really knew/cared/bothered with the rare loot.

Efreets were also introduced with t2a with the daemon bone drop. Now that I think about it, they introduced a lot of rare drops with the new t2a monsters. I guess probably some incentive to get people to go and check it out/spend time there.

Just silver is fine by me. I don't really remember when slayers were introduced aside from silvers. Those were in since the beginning. I can't really find any info (Like, offical update release) talking about the introduction of slayer weapons. Admittedly, I didn't look very hard though. =P

The Glacial Staffs were weird. When first introduced, they had X amount of charges and there were 3 different sets of power words you were meant to say to activate their power. As I remember it, the staff had 3 possible effects, but only 1 that would work. And you had to say the corresponding power word to make it active. You could try all three until one worked. Once you said the right power words, it was active with it's spell. And using it would then use said power and charges. One was like, an ice ball blast or something, I think the damage range was somewhere around say... the lightning spell. And there was one other that used your remaining mana and converted it to a damage spell. So, if you don't have much mana, it's not that great. A lot, it's pretty useful. They also never really had many charges, mostly around the 30s.

Edit: Apparently gargoyle pickaxes also lasted twice as long as normal pickaxes. V:)V

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Working on finding some historical details about this.

I was wrong about the daemon bone armor on the Efreets, it is in game currently.

ifotwo

Post by ifotwo »

What about the enticement skill? It's current replaced by the discord skill. When they took out enticement they replaced it with discordance. The discord spell lowers the stats of whoever you use it on. This was added in around AOS times, I do believe. Sometimes after pub 16.

Enticement was a skill that, if you used it on an npc, they came to you. Basically, you'd entice something, it'd come to your current position if you succeeded, and then you'd walk somewhere else and entice it again, essentially stringing it along to where ever you'd want it.

http://update.uo.com/design_408.html
That's an official update log from UO, I include it because it basically sums up the enticement skill in one sentence.
Enticement. The only skill this ability takes is Enticement. This ability changes slightly. Rather than a one-time effect that draws a single target to the bard, it will become continuous, causing the target to continue to follow the bard so long as the song is being played.
http://update.uo.com/design_415.html
This is the update where they switch out the enticement skill for discordance.

http://noctalis.com/dis/uo/oz-enti1.shtml
I've never used this site before, but it seems to have a pretty good explanation of the enticement skill, so I figured I'd link it for ease of use.

I don't know how hard it would be to re-code in the enticement skill, but if you want to put it back in-game, there's a bunch of info right there. I can also tell you about how much I remember. I used to have enticement on one of my characters long, long ago.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

ifotwo wrote:What about the enticement skill? ...
I don't know how hard it would be to re-code in the enticement skill, but if you want to put it back in-game, there's a bunch of info right there. I can also tell you about how much I remember. I used to have enticement on one of my characters long, long ago.
We will absolutley have this in game. It was completly overlooked in development. Thanks for the sources. This may or may not take some time. I'll give a more comprehesive post about this soon, hopefully tommorrow.