Faust

Re: dbl hally hit

Post by Faust »

T2A must be gay.

StDrahcir

Post by StDrahcir »

venox wrote:how do you do it?
You can't. If there was a way to do it the GMs would make sure to remove it if so as that would be fairly unbalancing.
Tanque / Chinchilla (crafter) / St Drahcir - (ingame characters)

Arcanus

Post by Arcanus »

On the contrary, the GMs (aka Derrick) have worked to add this bug of the era to the server. Yes, it is possible now with the new patch.

StDrahcir

Post by StDrahcir »

Arcanus wrote:On the contrary, the GMs (aka Derrick) have worked to add this bug of the era to the server. Yes, it is possible now with the new patch.
If this were true... don't you think this would make Derrick's comment here null and void?
Derrick wrote:The bugs we have are mostly as harmless as using incognito and dressing up in women's clothing

There are no known house break in bugs, or other detrimentally exploitable loopholes on Second Age.
I would call double hally hit very detrimental if you ask me. If this were true then there would need to be a double spear hit, double hammer hit, double mace hit, etc.

Arcanus

Post by Arcanus »

This bug is not limited to halberds. It can be replicated with any weapon. From the "Stamina Loss and Swing Timer" thread:

malice-tg wrote:I finally was able to test this out.

This patch is accurate BUT it is missing a whole aspect / bug that made it so the timer really only affected dexers. The bug was one of the main reasons OSI patched out precasting but it is what made the era so fun!

Anyone remember "double" weapon hits and specifically "double" hally hits?

This was made possible because there was a "bug" in game for a long time ( called precasting) which enabled you to reset weapon timer virtually infinitely by casting.

while at the SAME TIME there was the resetting timer we have on the test center now that only advanced while standing still.

so what does this mean?

You could cast harm > hally swing > harm > hally swing >weaken> hally swing > during a fight with no delays.

It also meant that if you were patient and held a swing tabbing and other difficult methods you could hit twice with your halberd with one animation. This was a deadly attack, difficult to predict and slow. Usually it was an accidental and fortunate occurance.

This bug was NOT in the patch notes because OSI had a policy to not specifically spell out bugs in patch notes for some fear of abuse. It however is proof that there was in fact two weapon timers at play simultaneously.

currently I have only anecdotal evidence but maybe someone can reply with a supporting statement?

One of the main reasons PVP'ers had to get UOA was because UOA arm/disarm was much faster than UO clients slow addition for arm /disarm. you needed the fast disarm / arm to effectively PVP in the field and duels because of the fast reset swing from spells. One of the first things I noticed when I cam here was the hally didnt reset during some of my combos i had macros for from OSI server.

I think while we have an opportunity to test the patch we should put in this wrinkle and see how people like it!
Derrick wrote:We're going to be adding to the patch slight spell changes and possibly what Malice mentions above. Still researching some issues so we've still no release date on this.

Thanks guys!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There is no special move called "double hally hit". What's being referred to here is a play with the now accurate timers that is era accurate and not easy at all to accomplish, it's in no way specific to any type of weapon.

StDrahcir

Post by StDrahcir »

Now that seems totally fair to me since everyone can do it! It adds a nice extra level of skill and luck there.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, I think it does add an interesting skill element to combat. I've not skilled enough to test this myself to be honest. If we do find that these timers are too easy to mash we may make some adjustments. We're certainly not wanting to allow instal-kill loopholes. I suspect that the frequency of using this technique successfully will be very uncommon.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Here I go, double posting....
Here are some of the patch notes that these weapon timers are based on:
OSI 12/16/97: Equipping a weapon in combat will restart your weapon swing. (overridden in 2/99, but not for archery)
OSI 12/16/97: Melee damage now occurs after the swing animation, instead of before. (overridden in 2/99)
OSI Feb 2 1999: Equipping a weapon now causes a short "prep time" before you can start swinging.
OSI Feb 2 1999: Damage for your blow is now assessed on your opponent on the start of the swing, instead of at the end.

StDrahcir

Post by StDrahcir »

Derrick wrote:Here I go, double posting....
Its ok, we will forgive you this time.

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

There is no special move called "double hally hit". What's being referred to here is a play with the now accurate timers that is era accurate and not easy at all to accomplish, it's in no way specific to any type of weapon.

Report this post
I don't know if it worked for every weapon, because I only did it with a halberd, but there was indeed a "double hally hit".

I recall doing it like this: Basically, during combat, if your foe didn't have any trapped pouches, you would paralyze him. Next, you would stand out of weapon range, and double click him (you would double click him even if he was already flagged/targeted to you). Next, you would stand still for about 4 seconds (the delay in the hally timer), which is why I'd paralyze them, then you would run over to them and you would hear "clink, clink", two hits instantly with one swing animation.

the end

[00:43] <Hemperor> i like turtles

StDrahcir

Post by StDrahcir »

I don't think that would do a double hally hit Kefka. I've done that hundreds of times and it never resulted in a double hally hit.

venox

Post by venox »

interesting