On blessed items

Topics related to Second Age
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

On blessed items

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Just so this little gem does not stay tucked away in the trading forum, I will post it here for further discussion to allow everyone to read it. Everyone should get the chance to fully understand changes that may or may not be made.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=31054

Notorious

Re: On blessed items

Post by Notorious »

Why aren't you generous.

Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

DOUBLE YAY!!! CMON CHANGES!!!!

Omnicron

Post by Omnicron »

I am rather glad I spent several millions on pixels only to have them break under some meathead's qstaff.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Omnicron wrote:I am rather glad I spent several millions on pixels only to have them break under some meathead's qstaff.
Nobody has said that they will break, or will not break. I posted this only so that everyone could have access to the information that is made available on $$$ guilds vent channel, whether it is true or not.

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

i see so many ppl quit if so. doesnt matter if you guys care about them or not, ull see if that is true.
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here

Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

I won't care. I play because I like the game not the people. 90% of the ppl in this game are POS so good bye and good riddance.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Regarding that post, the information given out was intentionally broad. Players have inserted their own concepts of when and how this issue will be solved. Beyond that, nothing that was said can be considered akin to 'insider trading', nor can any comments by players since the patch be considered authoritative answers on the subject. The only authoritative answer on the subject of blessed items comes from Derrick at this point, and it is spelled out as follows:
Derrick wrote:This effectively corrects a broken mechanic without violation of many previous statements both public and private by the administration that blessed items cannot be destroyed. I don't expect that this will end the debate on the destroy-ability of these grandfathered items, but this change is offered for now as at least a first step in correcting this previously inaccurate mechanic.
The bolded section is the part of interest. Clearly, the patch was not intended as a permanent change, otherwise the bolded portion would not have existed in the first place. Extending on that, the only possible change to blessed items that will have any meaningful effect is to eventually make all of them breakable. Thus, the statement that I reiterated has been out in the open for quite some time. Beyond that, I did not give a time frame for when such a change would occur because there is no time frame for it (ideally sooner than later, but no guarantees can be made).

Beyond the issue with blessed clothing, the change to friending mounts is a change that has been on the table for quite some time and has been readily available to anyone willing to do the research. The patch notes from May 25, 1999 clearly state the following:
Transfer and friending actually do two loyalty checks--one for the old owner and one for the new. Both must succeed for the order to be obeyed.
Extending upon this, the success or failure of a command is expressly due to a loyalty check which accounts for the orneriness of a pet, its difficulty to tame, and its raw loyalty and compares it against the owners animal taming and animal lore. This is documented in this line item from the May 25, 1999 patch note:
Pet "orneriness" is now a much larger factor. The tougher an animal was to originally tame, the tougher it will be to control in general. The higher your taming skill and animal lore skills, the better able to control the animal you will be. Animal taming is more significant for this than animal lore is.
Since the success of a command is dependent on loyalty checks, and loyalty checks take into consideration the difficulty of an animal to tame, orneriness, animal taming, and animal lore, nightmares and other 'high end' creatures will be virtually impossible to friend or transfer to a player without taming because the recipient of the friend command will fail the taming check. As a broad result, friending animals to a player without taming will not be possible anymore.

Finally, if players ask me questions, I am willing to answer them. However, nothing I say directly to a player on Ventrilo, in-game, or IRC is something that isn't out in the open, and I will not hold my tongue under the pretense of 'insider information' for those who aren't willing to do the research.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Notorious

Post by Notorious »

mhmmmm my bad for putting a time frame on this....

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

i think improperly placed houses would be a better addition than making grandfathered blessed items breakable :(

ppl love to complain tho... UO life goes on.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

kill drizitz wrote:i think improperly placed houses would be a better addition than making grandfathered blessed items breakable :(

ppl love to complain tho... UO life goes on.
Why are you worried about improperly placed houses when children in Africa are starving?

People love to complain I guess, life goes on...

To clarify:
I in no way mean to imply that staff is giving "insider information" or anything to that likeness, it was another player who jumped to that conclusion. I simply wanted the information to be easily available to everyone, as there seems to be an influx in grandfathered blessed items afloat lately. Personally, I have not heard about the possibility of them breaking from anyone, and Kaivans vent opinion was the first that I have heard of it.

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Kaivan wrote: Thus, the statement that I reiterated has been out in the open for quite some time. Beyond that, I did not give a time frame for when such a change would occur because there is no time frame for it (ideally sooner than later, but no guarantees can be made).
Seems that this change is desired and at least one GM would like it done soon. Interesting that anytime I mention this in one of Dr.Fausts threads my posts selling "gf" blessed items are immediately deleted.

Moderation at it's best in order to make sure the value of ones items is not affected.
Last edited by Telamon on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Thanks for this Matron.

I hate to think all of the other items the $$$ guild has been able to sell at a premium because of information leaked to them because of their preferential status.

The information given to $$$ was 'intentionally broad' according to Kaivan, but it seems that it was also 'intetionally directed to the $$$ guild.'

I think this is a travesty and Matron has done the right thing by putting such insider-information into the public arena. Conversely, I do not think giving out special hints and tips to any specific guild is the right thing. The shame of it.

Thanks again Matron - I would not have known this inside-information had it not been for your courage.

Regards,

Mens Rea.

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Mens Rea wrote:Thanks for this Matron.

I hate to think all of the other items the $$$ guild has been able to sell at a premium because of information leaked to them because of their preferential status.

The information given to $$$ was 'intentionally broad' according to Kaivan, but it seems that it was also 'intetionally directed to the $$$ guild.'

I think this is a travesty and Matron has done the right thing by putting such insider-information into the public arena. Conversely, I do not think giving out special hints and tips to any specific guild is the right thing. The shame of it.

Thanks again Matron - I would not have known this inside-information had it not been for your courage.

Regards,

Mens Rea.
His statements in the channel were made public almost instantly, ergo the amazing amount of GF'ed items for sale on the trade boards recently (at least 10 in the last 2 days)

What I find more interesting is how Dr.Faust deletes any post mentioning that GF'ed status can be possibly changed in the future.

Regardless I'm with Arsen, this seems like such an odd chain of events that really curbs my desire to play here.

Be interesting to see how quickly the silver system is removed in the name of era accuracy.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Telamon wrote:
Kaivan wrote: Thus, the statement that I reiterated has been out in the open for quite some time. Beyond that, I did not give a time frame for when such a change would occur because there is no time frame for it (ideally sooner than later, but no guarantees can be made).
Seems that this change is desired and at least one GM would like it done soon. Interesting that anytime I mention this in one of Dr.Fausts threads my posts selling "gf" blessed items are immediately deleted.

Moderation at it's best in order to make sure the value of ones items is not affected.
My own personal desire to have grandfathered items dealt with has nothing to do with when it is actually dealt with. Beyond that, no posts or threads have been moved, split, or deleted by Dr. Faustus or any other moderator of the trading forum in the last week.

These claims are entirely baseless and have no place here.
Mens Rea wrote:Thanks for this Matron.

Regards,

Mens Rea.
Intentionally directing information at people who ask me questions on a public Ventrilo regarding subjects that already have answers reveals nothing new or special.

This claim of favoritism is just as baseless as the claims regarding improper moderation in the trade forums.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org