Unique Staff-Made Items for Player-Run Events

Topics related to Second Age
Luca|Blight

Unique Staff-Made Items for Player-Run Events

Post by Luca|Blight »

Should unique items made by staff be given out at player run events? I may need to rephrase that to read, at Blackfoot's player run events. I have also seen Blackfoot host a type of "tourny" which was in a staff made event arena where you couldn't attack other players. It's also apparent that favoritism takes place for this whole situation:
[16:41] <Nevermore> They're not staff events
[16:41] <Nevermore> Hence "player run event"
[16:41] <Nevermore> Just because they're player run doesn't mean they don't get help from staff
[16:42] <Luca|Blight> then why isnt it a player given reward?
[16:42] <Nevermore> The players are given the rewards
[16:42] <Luca|Blight> a staff reward
[16:42] <Luca|Blight> from a player run event
[16:42] <Nevermore> Yes.
[16:42] <Luca|Blight> well thats the whole thing i been talkin about
[16:43] <Nevermore> Once again
[16:43] <Nevermore> Just because they're player run doesn't mean they don't get help from staff
[16:43] <Luca|Blight> so anyone can run a player run event, and get unique items to give out?
[16:43] <Nevermore> No
[16:43] <Luca|Blight> ...
[16:43] <Nevermore> Like, say, if you wanted to run a player run event with special rewards I wouldn't give you items because I don't trust you
[16:44] <Luca|Blight> so its favoritism
[16:44] <Nevermore> I trust blackfoot to do the right thing and make sure it's fair and that the winners get the rewards
[16:44] <Nevermore> Because he's proven himself trustworthy and has made many notable efforts to help the shard
[16:44] <Nevermore> It has nothing to do with favoritism
[16:45] <Luca|Blight> lol
[16:45] <Luca|Blight> you just openly said you would only do this for blackfoot
[16:45] <Nevermore> Actually
[16:45] <Nevermore> I'm pretty sure
[16:45] <Nevermore> I just said I wouldn't do it for you
[16:45] <Nevermore> But you know, whatever you want to read into it
[16:45] <Luca|Blight> ok so who would you do it for
[16:46] <Nevermore> Well the cool thing about being me is that I don't know any of the players outside of like, silver and coffee and about two other people who don't even play the shard anymore
[16:48] <Nevermore> Regardless, I would probably do it for silver and blackfoot
So apparently unless you're 'liked' by staff this 'service' is not available to you. The items given out at these events have been unique items only available through GM creation. One player said he only goes to Blackfoot's events to win these items and sell them for 'millions'. How is this any different than straight up creating gold for players at a player-run event?

I say, either make Blackfoot an official staff member (and not a player), or end this here and now.

Keep UOSA legit.

Kryptokuddlelite
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Unique Staff-Made Items for Player-Run Events

Post by Kryptokuddlelite »

simply stated and well put luca BF for STAFF!!!!! player ran event= player reward.. or reward given by the GM who created it...or simply another staff member.....Now just look at how he treats players and my concerns with the issue.. http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16045
Image]

haize

Post by haize »

lol...dumb post bump

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Atleast post the whole chat log if you're going to post it.

[17:36] <Luca|Blight> interesting PM i jsut got

[17:36] <Luca|Blight> [16:34] <felix> its funny cur u r right

[17:36] <Luca|Blight> [16:34] <Luca|Blight> lmao

[17:36] <Luca|Blight> [16:34] <felix> but im makin millions

[17:36] <Luca|Blight> [16:34] <felix> until its stopped

[17:36] <Luca|Blight> [16:34] <felix> :D

[17:36] <Nevermore> And I'm assuming you're going to believe that, right?

[17:36] <Nevermore> Cause it fits with your corruption theory?

[17:37] <Luca|Blight> im no conspiracy theory nut

[17:37] <Luca|Blight> im just simply saying

[17:37] <Luca|Blight> that its not right that that goes on

[17:37] <Luca|Blight> its favoritism maybe i dont know

[17:37] <Luca|Blight> the only reason i even care is cause i like the shard :/

[17:39] <Nevermore> Which part, blackfoot offering help to create and run events so we don't have to

[17:39] <Nevermore> Or felix saying he gets millions from us?

[17:39] <Luca|Blight> no felix meant the unique items he wins from the player run events he sells and makes considerable gold

[17:40] <Luca|Blight> but if blackfoot wants to run staff events, make him staff?

[17:40] <Nevermore> They're not staff events

[17:40] <Nevermore> Hence "player run event"

[17:41] <Nevermore> Just because they're player run doesn't mean they don't get help from staff

[17:41] <Luca|Blight> then why isnt it a player given reward?

[17:41] <Nevermore> Player run towns get additions from staff

[17:41] <Nevermore> The players are given the rewards

[17:41] <Luca|Blight> a staff reward

[17:41] <Luca|Blight> from a player run event

[17:41] <Nevermore> Yes.

[17:42] <Luca|Blight> well thats the whole thing i been talkin about

[17:42] <Nevermore> Once again

[17:42] <Nevermore> Just because they're player run doesn't mean they don't get help from staff

[17:42] <Luca|Blight> so anyone can run a player run event, and get unique items to give out?

[17:42] <Nevermore> No

[17:42] <Luca|Blight> ...

[17:43] <Nevermore> Like, say, if you wanted to run a player run event with special rewards I wouldn't give you items because I don't trust you

[17:43] <Luca|Blight> so its favoritism

[17:43] <Nevermore> I trust blackfoot to do the right thing and make sure it's fair and that the winners get the rewards

[17:43] <Nevermore> Because he's proven himself trustworthy and has made many notable efforts to help the shard

[17:44] <Nevermore> It has nothing to do with favoritism

[17:44] <Luca|Blight> lol

[17:44] <Luca|Blight> you just openly said you would only do this for blackfoot

[17:44] <Nevermore> Actually

[17:44] <Nevermore> I'm pretty sure

[17:44] <Nevermore> I just said I wouldn't do it for you

[17:44] <Nevermore> But you know, whatever you want to read into it

[17:44] <Luca|Blight> ok so who would you do it for

[17:45] <Nevermore> Well the cool thing about being me is that I don't know any of the players outside of like, silver and coffee and about two other people who don't even play the shard anymore

[17:47] <Nevermore> Regardless, I would probably do it for silver and blackfoot

[17:48] <Nevermore> But not coffee or the others, because they're less trustworthy

[17:48] <Nevermore> And I sure do like coffee.

[17:48] <Nevermore> So there's your favoritism out the window

[17:48] <Luca|Blight> its cool

[17:48] <Nevermore> But that assumes I'd be participating in events which I don't do anyway

[17:48] <Nevermore> I don't even do anything besides make announcements

[17:48] <Nevermore> So you know

[17:49] <Luca|Blight> i really wasnt tryign to be a dick or say anything about you btw

[17:50] <Luca|Blight> but in the past there was a GM named wintersleep that gave out millions of gold to players

[17:50] <Nevermore> I wasn't around when that happened

[17:50] <Luca|Blight> i wasnt either

[17:50] <Nevermore> And if I hadn't taken my extended break it probably wouldn't have happened

[17:50] <Nevermore> Because I'm really untrusting of everyone

[17:50] <Nevermore> And I spy on my staff

[17:50] <Nevermore> So

[17:51] <Luca|Blight> so are you like 1 spot below derrick

[17:51] <Nevermore> I was the first admin

[17:51] <Nevermore> And yeah, pretty much

[17:52] <Nevermore> Everyone defaults to me or derrick

[17:52] <Luca|Blight> how come youre so negative most the time

[17:52] <Nevermore> I was also one of the very first players on the shard

[17:52] <Nevermore> I

[17:52] <Nevermore> I'm an asshole

[17:52] <Luca|Blight> lol

[17:52] <Nevermore> It's a personality flaw
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Luca|Blight wrote:Should unique items made by staff be given out at player run events? I may need to rephrase that to read, at Blackfoot's player run events. I have also seen Blackfoot host a type of "tourny" which was in a staff made event arena where you couldn't attack other players. It's also apparent that favoritism takes place for this whole situation:
[16:41] <Nevermore> They're not staff events
[16:41] <Nevermore> Hence "player run event"
[16:41] <Nevermore> Just because they're player run doesn't mean they don't get help from staff
[16:42] <Luca|Blight> then why isnt it a player given reward?
[16:42] <Nevermore> The players are given the rewards
[16:42] <Luca|Blight> a staff reward
[16:42] <Luca|Blight> from a player run event
[16:42] <Nevermore> Yes.
[16:42] <Luca|Blight> well thats the whole thing i been talkin about
[16:43] <Nevermore> Once again
[16:43] <Nevermore> Just because they're player run doesn't mean they don't get help from staff
[16:43] <Luca|Blight> so anyone can run a player run event, and get unique items to give out?
[16:43] <Nevermore> No
[16:43] <Luca|Blight> ...
[16:43] <Nevermore> Like, say, if you wanted to run a player run event with special rewards I wouldn't give you items because I don't trust you
[16:44] <Luca|Blight> so its favoritism
[16:44] <Nevermore> I trust blackfoot to do the right thing and make sure it's fair and that the winners get the rewards
[16:44] <Nevermore> Because he's proven himself trustworthy and has made many notable efforts to help the shard
[16:44] <Nevermore> It has nothing to do with favoritism
[16:45] <Luca|Blight> lol
[16:45] <Luca|Blight> you just openly said you would only do this for blackfoot
[16:45] <Nevermore> Actually
[16:45] <Nevermore> I'm pretty sure
[16:45] <Nevermore> I just said I wouldn't do it for you
[16:45] <Nevermore> But you know, whatever you want to read into it
[16:45] <Luca|Blight> ok so who would you do it for
[16:46] <Nevermore> Well the cool thing about being me is that I don't know any of the players outside of like, silver and coffee and about two other people who don't even play the shard anymore
[16:48] <Nevermore> Regardless, I would probably do it for silver and blackfoot
So apparently unless you're 'liked' by staff this 'service' is not available to you. The items given out at these events have been unique items only available through GM creation. One player said he only goes to Blackfoot's events to win these items and sell them for 'millions'. How is this any different than straight up creating gold for players at a player-run event?

I say, either make Blackfoot an official staff member (and not a player), or end this here and now.

Keep UOSA legit.

Luca|Blight

Post by Luca|Blight »

Nevermore wrote:Atleast post the whole chat log if you're going to post it.
I was just keeping Felix's name anonymous. Only thing I didn't add incase he didn't want it repeated.

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Luca|Blight wrote:
I was just keeping Felix's name anonymous. Only thing I didn't add incase he didn't want it repeated.
Sure looks like there's a lot more missing that just the beginning felix comment to me.

MustardCat

Post by MustardCat »

I don't see the problem here? No shit staff wont give uniques to a player they don't trust...

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

I don't understand your post. Could you clear up what your actually trying to say.

Is it that players shouldn't run events, or that players events should not be assisted? Is the system message the admin give out to all player run events too much?
Your post is too vague about what you are trying to say.

Clear up your post and make it a poll.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Luca|Blight

Post by Luca|Blight »

Nevermore wrote:
Luca|Blight wrote:
Sure looks like there's a lot more missing that just the beginning felix comment to me.

Was keeping log on topic. What's so bad about that? Please discuss the issue, not a couple irrelevant lines of text.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

BlackFoot wrote:I don't understand your post. Could you clear up what your actually trying to say.

Is it that players shouldn't run events, or that players events should not be assisted? Is the system message the admin give out to all player run events too much?
Your post is too vague about what you are trying to say.

Clear up your post and make it a poll.
They are pissed because you're getting specially made items for your events and they can't have any for themselves. They fail to realize that this didn't happen over night and that you're a respected and trusted player in SA. So they are throwing a fit about not getting free stuff.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Luca|Blight wrote:
Nevermore wrote:
Luca|Blight wrote:

Was keeping log on topic. What's so bad about that? Please discuss the issue, not a couple irrelevant lines of text.

Parts of the conversation that were clearly on topic, like me saying how I wouldn't do it for some people I do clearly favor are irrelevant lines of text? Your quote is out of context. I provided the full context so people can judge for themselves instead of forming an opinion about the issue based on your version of our conversation.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We have made special items for many well regulated player events at our discretion in the past, from many different players and guilds. If there was a problem with this particular event please specify the trouble, otherwise this should be a general conversation and not directed at one person.

It shouldn't come as any surprise that staff would have more of a comfort level with particular players who have had a history of organizing sucesssful player events than others, and that may certainly vary between staff. It's not favoritism it's caution.

This is well more reserved than OSI's system of player seers which was lagerly not overssen at all and reeked of corruption by reports that I've read.

The fact of course is that we pretty much help any player set up a well organized event if they have the ability and motivation to organize it.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Two points:

1. There is no issue of whether or not staff SHOULD give out items. Derrick owns the shard. He can do what he wants with it. He could give out neon mounts tomorrow and we would have no cause for complaint.

2. That said, it is obviously bad for the shard if the staff doles out special and undeserved favors. But quite obviously, giving out items that do not affect game play at a player run event hosted by the most respected and trusted UOSA player is not undeserved and is not bad for the shard.

There really isn't anything else to say.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Here's the deal with the way that staff assists in events:
  • If a player wishes to run an event, they can ask for GM assistance in announcing that event.
  • If a player would like a prize for that event, a GM may provide a prize for the event. This is done at the GM's discretion and generally follows these guidelines:
    • The player has done player events in the past that have not included GM prizes.
    • The player has successfully run those events to their conclusion.
    • The player has proven to be a benefit to player run events, based on past track records.
In the event that a GM does give out prizes, every step is taken to ensure that the prizes are handed out properly (and we have multiple ways of tracking where items are at), and anyone who misuses their prizes will not have the opportunity to receive them again.

This, as far as I've seen, falls directly in to that category. With Blackfoot participating as an active member on UOSA for quite some time, this result should come as no surprise to others.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org