Black Dye Tubs

Topics related to Second Age
Dupre[THG]

Black Dye Tubs

Post by Dupre[THG] »

i believe they were introduced with the anchient lichs, but itd be really nice considdering i need, the color to complete my Guilds uniform
Lord Dupre , Leader Of The Guard
Lord Of Trinsic.

Deano

Re: Black Dye Tubs

Post by Deano »

They were originally a hack/manipulation of the game to get them. Then they were added for the Holiday season for 98 as a gift.

I liked them as a veteran reward. Just adds that unique flavour to them. Much like what Garriot and his team are doing in Tabula Rasa right now with black and white dye.
Deano

alatar

Post by alatar »

the first black dye tubs came from the 'black' liches that were only in-game for a brief period, they also were not blessed or newbified like the reward tubs ;\

Dupre[THG]

Post by Dupre[THG] »

ya thats what i was talkin about
Lord Of Trinsic.

Deano

Post by Deano »

alatar wrote:the first black dye tubs came from the 'black' liches that were only in-game for a brief period, they also were not blessed or newbified like the reward tubs ;\

Far out I can't remember those ones.. :?
Deano

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

alatar wrote:the first black dye tubs came from the 'black' liches that were only in-game for a brief period, they also were not blessed or newbified like the reward tubs ;\
I remember creating black dye tubs pre-T2A (in "the dread days") OSI more than likely would have not added the tubs if players didn't start creating them first.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Well in that case, as soon as you guys start making them, I'll add them in. ;)
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

Deano

Post by Deano »

RoadKill wrote:
I remember creating black dye tubs pre-T2A (in "the dread days") OSI more than likely would have not added the tubs if players didn't start creating them first.
I think they would have. can't make something out of nothing so it had to be there.
Deano

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Deano wrote:
RoadKill wrote:
I think they would have. can't make something out of nothing so it had to be there.

The true black color is a hue. There are many hues on a computer. Back then we could make any color we wanted, UO couldn't read all the range of hues so it would set them to the default of what we call "true black"
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Dupre[THG]

Post by Dupre[THG] »

Either way, i wish we had them here itd be a great addition, and people would wear more then just ugly dye tub colors :D/ although its better then the glacial hair and stuff that is consuming real uo today :(
Lord Of Trinsic.

Maleficia

Post by Maleficia »

This item was originally made through an exploit, and later given out as a ’98 Christmas present. given that they were gifts in '98 and T2A came out in the fall of 98, they were certainly in for the entirety of T2A. UO:R din't come out until 2000.

I have been looking for the root of the exploit and I am not sure if this is accurate, but this is what I found on the good ol' Marqee Dragon rares website:

In spring of 98, there were various UO server emulators popping up. It was the beginning of player run servers and there were about 5 different programs for running your own server. One of these was called FUSE(Fallo's Ultima Server Emulator).

It was necessary to modify your uo login file in order to log into the player run servers. Fallo released a program called FUSERUN. This program loaded before UO and did the modifications to switch to player run servers and back to EA servers.

In a version of this program that Fallo released in April of 98, he included code that allowed you to change your textcolor, textfont, textfontsize... and a few easter eggs. All you had to do was type "%textcolor 999999" (hex values) and your text color would change. You could test out a lot of crazy numbers and it was the first time we saw neon colors in the game as people ran around with neon text.

One of the easter eggs Fallo included, was %dyecolor, which allowed you to change the dyetub color to any hex value. This included pitch black. You could create a new character, buy 9 tubs and a dye with your starting 100 gold - then turn them all black and sell for 500k each (500k was a lot of gold in 1998).

Well, Fallo released this program on Thursday, and by Sunday UO had patched it. The amount of black that had entered the game was out of control though, and there was very little they could really do about it. Thus, they released it later as a reward.

That's the way true black came to the world of UO.

Dupre[THG]

Post by Dupre[THG] »

WoW, thanks alot i wish more people would know things like this.
Lord Of Trinsic.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

That's an excellent history, thanks.

I understand that black tubs were in-era and as such am not completely opposed to them, however for most players during the era, true black was far less than accessible and if we do introduce them they will be very limited.

We are planning a turn in system for the event trophies and have not yet worked out all the rewards that will be available, but look for it soon.