Which era was the best for you.

Topics related to Second Age
GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Which era was the best for you.

Post by GuardianKnight »

Light Shade wrote:
theuodealer wrote:If you played during Ren, you farmed in Trammel. There was a reason for that.
Yep. You have 2 paths to the same goal and it made zero sense to take the path that was frought with peril and possible setbacks.

It was simple logic to take the easier path and that alone was enough to make Felucca a ghost town.

Trammel never should have been put on every server. They should have opened up Trammel Servers and seen how it played out at the very least.

The introduction to Trammel on all servers just created a sharp divide in the playerbase and scattered Player-Run Establishments to the winds. It was, in my mind, the single worst decision ever made by the Dev's of OSI. It never should have been put on the same servers as ones with the Feluccan Ruleset.

It destroyed the very heart of Ultima Online. People no longer had any real incentive to band together and protect one another. This lead to the degradation of guilds and communities. It basically ripped the "world" out of UO and just made it a game like any other out there....
Notice that this is the same phenomenon that is occurring when people get tired of dying here nonstop. They go to a server that doesn't have professional pks. Somewhere that that isn't ALL a certain group of players do. This is a big killer for this server. What point is there in learning to pvp is you are just going to die to some lifeless idiot that has spent 3 years just pvping. That is also a good reason for the tournaments to have been shut down.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

theuodealer

Post by theuodealer »

GuardianKnight wrote:Notice that this is the same phenomenon that is occurring when people get tired of dying here nonstop. They go to a server that doesn't have professional pks. Somewhere that that isn't ALL a certain group of players do. This is a big killer for this server. What point is there in learning to pvp is you are just going to die to some lifeless idiot that has spent 3 years just pvping. That is also a good reason for the tournaments to have been shut down.
^He gets it. The people playing Ultima now on free servers are either the same players who played back then or have similar enough mindsets to re-create the same situation over and over and over again, albeit on a smaller scale than OSI. Until someone accepts the fact that Trammel served a purpose instead of just discarding it and creates/implements an alternative that replaces Trammel and solves the problem, this is inescapable.
A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. ~Muhammad Ali

Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors - try to be better than yourself. ~William Faulkner

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

theuodealer wrote:
GuardianKnight wrote:Notice that this is the same phenomenon that is occurring when people get tired of dying here nonstop. They go to a server that doesn't have professional pks. Somewhere that that isn't ALL a certain group of players do. This is a big killer for this server. What point is there in learning to pvp is you are just going to die to some lifeless idiot that has spent 3 years just pvping. That is also a good reason for the tournaments to have been shut down.
^He gets it. The people playing Ultima now on free servers are either the same players who played back then or have similar enough mindsets to re-create the same situation over and over and over again, albeit on a smaller scale than OSI. Until someone accepts the fact that Trammel served a purpose instead of just discarding it and creates/implements an alternative that replaces Trammel and solves the problem, this is inescapable.
I was not implying any of that nor do I agree with any of these statements in any way.

There were probably a million better ways to handle the "squeaky wheel" that was people not wanting to be attacked.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

It wasn't implying that that was what you said. Your statement was just an example that added to my statement.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

GuardianKnight wrote:It wasn't implying that that was what you said. Your statement was just an example that added to my statement.
Why do we still post? We don't even play anymore... :P

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

It's this or do 2 more psychology quizzes and they hurt my head.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Yeah, I get tired of looking at my work, also.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I played on Oceania during UO:R which was a relatively small server (Aus/NZ), Fel dungeons weren't a total ghost town there. Sure, trammel was much more active, but I farmed in fel and often ran into other people doing the same.

T2A was the most fun I ever had in an era, but I did enjoy the UO:R combat mechanics more.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine »

I started in UO:R but I have played T2A shards and say I enjoyed so much more about UO:R. If OSI had just made trammel a place where yo could farm but felluca you had a higher chance of getting better items (vanqs,etc.) and more gold from mobs, I think it would of been a perfect harmony. Ballsy people would come for the extra loot in fel at the price of possibly being PKd.

But IMO UO:R was a lot more balanced and the amount of templates available were amazing, many more templates were viable vs t2a temps. A pure mage on this server is borderline just stupid. Dexxies cut u down and almost everyone has some weapon skill. It sucks that it's that way, to me it was a LOT funner with how things were in UO:R. I'd LOVE if this staff was that era with the way it is maintained. There are UO:R servers but they aren't true to the era. I liked early UO:R without stupid neon colors and crap. I guess with vet rewards it wasnt bad, truly enjoyed the game up to a little after the runics patch. The runic weapons were stupid OP but fun to loot off people. And the VERY few bless deeds left on Napa could create a valorite weapon worth 100's of mils.

Stealing was fun as hell too, and actually worked better, as well as being able to cast spells in town. Just overall there's not much I like more about T2A. I know one thing I DIDN't like was when they patched so you couldn't gate monsters and tamers could only have a certain number of pets. That was lame.

Brules

Post by Brules »

Best era was 97-98 before they really started messing with the game. 97 was epic, 98 to 99 it started down hill. Before stat loss, dreads, plate mail archer mages, gain skill from taking damage (polar bear turrets FTW), GM Magery and resist were impossible to do and you were a God with 95 magery and 85 resist, house keys could be stolen, no friends list etc.

The good old days!

cmerolon

Post by cmerolon »

YES UO:R was the best in my eyes. Just for one reason. Mages were not over power and I could kill them with my fencer. I went to UO:renaissance free server but i am not trying to start over again. but who knows maybe over the winter i will.... Neon colors did ruin the game. But i do love the log cabin and small stone tower.
[/color]Crack kills Weed Doesn't

Daffy Duck

Post by Daffy Duck »

I liked having my rune book blessed - so whenever that was and yea wep enhancments crushing blow etc.... was cool made it a bit more interesting - however i hated trammel with a passion as it killed all the risk in the game and created a lot of bored bank sitters with loads of neon shit.

cmerolon

Post by cmerolon »

I think its time to open it up to UO:R without Trammel. Why not
[/color]Crack kills Weed Doesn't

Pac

Post by Pac »

UO vanilla was the best. Back when there was no thieves guild and you could roll 50 steal/50 snoop on other shards when your shard was down and grief people while you waited.

mr mahoney

Post by mr mahoney »

T2a for player interactions and finding quirky things.

Uo:R/AoS: pre artifacts for more interesting pvp, and more involved crafting and housing.

I simply love the interactions and housing rules of t2a but dislike o.e sided pvp template and lackluster crafting gumps and options.