Is this shard losing it's steam

Topics related to Second Age
WarmApplepie

Re: Is this shard losing it's steam

Post by WarmApplepie »

rest in peace
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

When I first started playing this server I want to say I saw a pop count of 800 at one point. I could totally be wrong about that it has been awhile.

This server has the most underrated Tamer farming/PvP ever. There is nothing more fun then dragon turreting at LL with maybe one other person there with you at most, with a few others on stand by in ventrillo for when reds come in. Admittedly there has only been a couple times that I successfully killed off a group of reds with help from others and not had to just evacuate myself & as many dragons as I could get out eventually. This is the one server it makes sense to have 100 Eval on a tamer and that is cool to me.

This of course ^ is all fine and dandy if you have your stable slots all setup, I don't miss the managing of stabling & claiming dragons on this server. However I wouldn't want it any other way, that is one of the annoying but little era accurate things that make the server what it is.

However unfortunately for a lot of us, most people out there don't want to deal with UOSA, also some are more intimidated then they should be about this server. I didn't play this shard long, but I possibly progressed a tamer to near 7x (even has 98 resist) as fast as Rose did, as I remember reading Rose's guide back in the day on taming. While the people I played with kept going to Titans with there bards. Which is understandable, the goal for any new player is to 7x a tank mage not try to 7x a tamer. I did 7x a tank mage, and I barely played him before I quit, which is another reason I want to play again, I actually want to PvP & get good at it on this server.

Which I think there is enough people playing to PvP with. So I may come back, and I may try to convince some others to come with me, though only one would probably stay playing admittedly if I successfully convince him to start. I wonder if you can stream UOSA on twitch? Is that allowed? That would be so awesome if you could. EDIT: Just remembered yes you can, Rose does it totally forgot about that.
Baalx in IRC
https://www.twitch.tv/adrenalinepvptwitch

"<Vega> he needs some refresh mount kegs"
"<Vega> for the incessant trammel-a-thons he goes on"

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

It is, but it's deffinately NOT because of the lack of automated events. Having automated events would kill the shard. As you can see, we're doing great without them.

Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Flea

Post by Flea »

Leadership.....the front page on the website is 2.5 years old.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

WHARF!!!!
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Gork

Post by Gork »

The shard loses steam when those who play it lose steam.
It is really not a shard issue more than a player issue.
UOSA is perfect .... the best for pvp .... in my opinion of course.
It is also era accurate.
Most of the "era accurate" shards are quite custom which defeats the purpose.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

Gork wrote:The shard loses steam when those who play it lose steam.
It is also era accurate.

ok fine... URBAN!!!!
chumbucket wrote:
Roleplays?!?

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Gork wrote:The shard loses steam when those who play it lose steam.
It is also era accurate.
Agreed 100%, but the events are the icing on the cake. No one wants to eat cake with no icing, or icing with no cake, you gotta have that balance.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Rextab

Post by Rextab »

I think, as said above, it is the onus of the players to spark interest. I think the veteran players who have been here for multiple years could really help with growth but aren't interested or unsure of how to do so.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

Rextab wrote:I think, as said above, it is the onus of the players to spark interest. I think the veteran players who have been here for multiple years could really help with growth but aren't interested or unsure of how to do so.
....i loved events. vets aint gonna do fucking shiiiit to spark interest. i would like for them to do so, but it's unreasonable to place the responsibility on them for reasons. they could help out, but they dont have to. you're just bitter about missing out on the sweet ctf or double domination games, or i'm a little drunk and wanna talk shit and wish they were back :) but seriously the ChoppaX ownage was good shit. where my idle-rpg (random irc channel back in 2007-8ish) homies at?? we need to bring that shit back yo
chumbucket wrote:
Roleplays?!?

redeodrik

Post by redeodrik »

Eastwood wrote:I enjoyed this server when it was thriving, I'm inactive now

I think the big issue is that classic Ultima Online was niche to begin with, and after being around for a few years, many thousands of those people beat the game in their own minds, myself included. We did things we could not do on OSI servers when we were kids, teenagers, whatever.

It really doesn't help now that the populate is this low, there is no excitement, mostly cynicism in the player base that is the most vocal.
You're exactly right. Part of the issue is this server can't chagne because it's T2A-only. The reason people want events and similar is because they want something different. This is why people go to other servers or other MMO's. Another reason is other servers are more friendly to people who don't wnat PvP or don't wnat to be ganked. But lets face it, a number of us who're drawn to this server don't wnat it to be friendly. We like that era because you were exposed to danger and had to learn survival skills. We're just dying as a population because, be it as it may, there're laws of nature which must be obeyed.

Events are back now but I don't think that changes what I say above.

Can't they keep this server alive and networked and also make a new one where they can add new content and new things? All the work put into making this server accurate is worth preserving, but the future... What about it? Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe this server is fine no matter how low hte population is. I just wnated to ask.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

There's nothing wrong with t2a or UO. Its retro and buggy. It gets old so people leave then come back over and over.
The player population problem stems from the staleness of the website and things of that nature.
It gets boring when you see the same stuff media wise, but the game itself is fine.

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

Edit:
Last edited by SaibotMK on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baalx in IRC
https://www.twitch.tv/adrenalinepvptwitch

"<Vega> he needs some refresh mount kegs"
"<Vega> for the incessant trammel-a-thons he goes on"

LNE

Post by LNE »

Here is UOSA --

The girl that broke your heart .. You waited years doing everything you could to win her back .. Show her your commitment. But she constantly ignored you over and over again. You finally moved on left her completely behind and became happy found someone new. Who maybe wasn't as great at first but she listened to you , cared about you.

Now that old girl who broke your heart is running back to you crying to please take her back that she will listen to you. - you have the choice to choke on pride and throw away your new love to possibly be heart broke again. Or get the last laugh and tell her eat a dick. That is UOSA the choice is yours .

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Somebody needs a reality-check.

Recently, a movement to update the shard's public presence has been gaining steam: any idiot who wishes to characterize that as "some ploy" intended to retrieve "disenchanted players" from another shard is not only delusional, but is perfectly welcome to propagate the lie (elsewhere) and, otherwise, continue to stay away; be assured that Derrick, Anarcho, Boomland and all of the players will continue to shed the exact same volume of great-wailing-tears over your absence.

UOSA is not chasing after anyone, least of all the whiny cry-babies who fled elsewhere at the promising wave of a pacifier.

"Eat a dick"? Another reality check: as I just pointed out, UOSA is not one of the entities that craves something to put in its mouth.

I understand why many people deny what's shown in the mirror: it's unpleasant. Look on the bright side: it's not my fault!

That girl who broke your heart? She's happier than you are, make no mistake, and she isn't running back to you. More than that: she never will.

Stop stalking her.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.