Is this shard losing it's steam

Topics related to Second Age
SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Is this shard losing it's steam

Post by SaibotMK »

I wouldn't go as far to say that UOSA is not chasing after anyone. Kavian stepped down and auto events are back, the server is not to be negative but a lil dead, and wants people playing it.

I like the auto events only because other people like them. I personally am fine with just open world field PvP. Ideally this shard would have 500 to 600 clients/IP's online on average. Auto events, updated website that I am pretty sure is in the works, all that is a sign of chasing after people. Which is a good thing.

Auto events are fun, but just straight field PvP is more fun in my opinion. Auto events have been attracting some PvPers to SA, and that helps create field PvP.
Last edited by SaibotMK on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baalx in IRC
https://www.twitch.tv/adrenalinepvptwitch

"<Vega> he needs some refresh mount kegs"
"<Vega> for the incessant trammel-a-thons he goes on"

LNE

Post by LNE »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:Somebody needs a reality-check.

Recently, a movement to update the shard's public presence has been gaining steam: any idiot who wishes to characterize that as "some ploy" intended to retrieve "disenchanted players" from another shard is not only delusional, but is perfectly welcome to propagate the lie (elsewhere) and, otherwise, continue to stay away; be assured that Derrick, Anarcho, Boomland and all of the players will continue to shed the exact same volume of great-wailing-tears over your absence.

UOSA is not chasing after anyone, least of all the whiny cry-babies who fled elsewhere at the promising wave of a pacifier.

"Eat a dick"? Another reality check: as I just pointed out, UOSA is not one of the entities that craves something to put in its mouth.

I understand why many people deny what's shown in the mirror: it's unpleasant. Look on the bright side: it's not my fault!

That girl who broke your heart? She's happier than you are, make no mistake, and she isn't running back to you. More than that: she never will.

Stop stalking her.

SS
Your intellect and vocabulary may be too much for me to handle. But let me attempt at a reply.

I have a deep appreciation and respect for UOSA. I want it to succeed more than anyone. However your distaste towards those who left is unwarranted. As the majority of those individuals hung around scraping the bottom begging , pleading , wishing , hoping for years before they moved on. Now some of those who moved on didn't leave with the most grace I will admit that.

However the premise that they immediately jumped ship is insanely wrong. Not one of those folks wanted to leave UOSA. In fact I was the first person who found "brand x" and went running to tell all my UOSA friends about it.... you know when they started "brand x" A YEAR 365 days later. They said no we are not leaving the beloved UOSA.

You're are correct UOSA is not running for anyone.

I don't believe staff intervention is a must or necessity on UO. In fact the highest pop times were basically riddled with NO staff seemingly around at all. BUT majority of the player base wanted staff communication and they felt neglected , whether they should want that or not idk. But they did want that so when they finally got tired of trying they went elsewhere.

Boom has done a great job but honestly he could have summoned three mongbat at WBB and called it an event and people would have loved it . They were so desperate and felt neglected from that communication they loved it .

Maybe UOSA doesn't want those needy players who want communication and staff involvement but unfortunately the majority of players just do want that. And need that. I am gracious of the steps they are making and I think any frustration voiced is "why are you just coming around" because those that have moved on are remembering their deep love for UOSA and are now torn between what to do !

Anarcho , Boomland , and Derrick run this server , own this server. At the end of the day they need to do what makes them happy and feel accomplished with where the server is at. Not what everyone else wants. However if their goal is to rekindle the flame is some of the past players they need to understand the feelings of other players. Because they can bring players back if that is the goal.

There was no recruiting or stealing of players . It was simply friends trying to help friends . "Hey I know you've been frustrated with this and want this , I found a place you can get it if you are interested" this isn't the UOF community old school classic Uo players have extreme dedication towards their server. As I said before many stuck it out for years.

However as a UOSA community member I think it's your job and in your best interest when those players do start peaking back around , not to come at them in a hostile nature like you just did me. But open them with arms wide open and maybe attempt to understand why they left. Because every single one of them once had the dedication and love for UOSA that you have.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

LNE, your tone has changed a little bit, I see.

FWIW, if you had exercised a little more care in making your previous assertion, I would not have come down on you so hard.

On the one hand, the issues you list are valid issues vis a vis any discussion of the "health" of UOSA (or of any similar enterprise); on the other, those issues are incidental.

The issue continues to be the era-accuracy mandate, and/or what degrees of "interpretation" and/or "adaptation" are acceptable, particularly in the sense of the "health" of the shard.

Regarding items like automated events, potentially this invites substantial (and, perhaps, tiresome) debate, and I do not wish to divert any further in that direction of discussion (at least, not at this juncture, in this venue; I'm not against auto-events, if that remark will satisfy everyone for now); particularly since (at least some) auto-events have been recently reinstated.

Regarding the "inviolability" of the era-accuracy mandate, there exists the danger of starting a "slide down a slippery slope": a number of us have offered a number of opinions on a number of matters, over the years, which have been evaluated, hitherto, primarily in terms of mechanical era-accuracy; however it may be that anyone wishes to approve/criticize Kaivan and/or his policies, it must be remembered that any "policy adjustments" might introduce many, and wide-spread, effects.

Whatever my own criticisms have been (and perhaps will continue to be), I remain here because "UOSA is t2A": it's not just "UOSA is t2A", it's "UOSA is OSI-UO before OSI-UO was (completely) ruined": UOSA set itself to reproduce and re-present t2A as it truly was; necessarily, this must be warts and all.

I have had occasion to evaluate a number of freeshards, all of which claim to be "OSI the way it should have been", and invariably found a bunch of self-indulgent, self-important, dolts who administrate a shard entirely to cater to a very-specific, and narrow, interpretation of "valid" playstyle (and eviscerate the ruleset in the process of forcing that playstyle onto everyone who signs up): "Felucca-only" is part of it, and farcically-so, since >80% of UO subscribers fled to Trammel, when UO:R launched; it seems that quite a few people have completely misunderstood this particular event.

Whatever UOSA policies are to be reviewed, and how, and to what end, both the reviewing-processes and any/all derived dispositions remain the purview of staff: it is not licit to attempt to undermine that, nor to do so by wilfully misrepresenting their actions, motivations, or goals.

Of course, as is required, members of staff will speak for themselves, in word or deed.

I'll pay attention to what they really have to say.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

The UOSA drama hasn't lost its steam.

/popcorn

LNE

Post by LNE »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:LNE, your tone has changed a little bit, I see.

FWIW, if you had exercised a little more care in making your previous assertion, I would not have come down on you so hard.

Eh we all want the same thing and staff is doing their thing for free. Now I suppose we need to do whatever we can to help them along with the process. Or just shut our mouths griping over the past does nothing.

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

Taboo wrote:The UOSA drama hasn't lost its steam.

/popcorn
Taboo FUCK YOU

That was joke, sorry. I am immature.
Baalx in IRC

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

:lol: seriously

You have to admit one of the reasons UOSA will never truly lose its steam is the drama. Its a big soap opera of who's mad at who and why.

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

Taboo wrote::lol: seriously

You have to admit one of the reasons UOSA will never truly lose its steam is the drama. Its a big soap opera of who's mad at who and why.
Oh the Trash Talk section is the most entertaining thing to read by far.

On a serious note more on topic with this thread. I don't think any game could be more fun then a populated UOSA. Oh dude *Begins dreaming of large scale Chaos vs Order town PvP, PKing 20 people in one day, 5v5 Gy field fights, 3v3's at wrong*
Baalx in IRC

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

20 kills? I remember my first hour of every day in college...

Ps steamed dumplings mmm
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

randale

Post by randale »

though, I have to say it has been quite beneficial to me in some ways, less pkers, can farm and macro in peace.

dazedman

Post by dazedman »

This shard is going and going like the energizer bunny. It is a little slow at time but we get to loot more houses and open up some land for fresh meat... I mean new player to come and grow into part of our population that just loves uo. We have events and other fun stuff to take off the boredom once you have everything you need and just want to play to enjoy the love of the game with other people who feel the same.

And yes, the drama here a combination of every house wives episode to ever air. Haha

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

randale wrote:though, I have to say it has been quite beneficial to me in some ways, less pkers, can farm and macro in peace.
Where do you typically farm?
Baalx in IRC

randale

Post by randale »

like I was saying, could be just plain boredom? There's a lot you can do in this game, in this age, but once you've done it all, maybe you'd get sick of it- and leave?

randale

Post by randale »

Boondock_Saint wrote:It's dying. Telamon told me so.
lol, his shard is thriving.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

randale wrote:
Boondock_Saint wrote:It's dying. Telamon told me so.
lol, his shard is thriving.

I wouldn't know. I never played it.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket