Automated Events/ Cash Donations

Topics related to Second Age
Jay

Automated Events/ Cash Donations

Post by Jay »

automated event threads have been shutdown in the past with the understanding that the servers owner was against them, or for whatever reason the re-implementation of AE's didn't line up with the servers vision. after roses IRC conversation and nothing official in the contrary it appears now that the only thing keeping them from going live is development time.
Rose wrote:It's not beating a dead horse at all... The horse got the OK (An Corp) from the boss to live again.

So the issue is no longer to convince staff that we should have them, it is now to convince staff to do a little bit of coding.
i dont think most people feel that automated events is an end all to fix all server issues at this point, but i do think it may be a huge contributing factor in continued success here. (along with marketing and community/website development etc.)

with that being said.. what can we do to help move this along? players brought up the idea to compensate mammoth or a developer for their time, but the idea was shot down as it was construed as buying features we wanted vs what the server owner and team wanted. if the owner is for events who could be against them? if we are willing to pay for development time to develop features approved by derrick i dont see how we could go wrong.

in fact.. why couldn't we do that with everything (all of the server goals we dont have time for?) donations for development goals? working capital for the GM's to do their thing/or even hire someone to do it for them.

Anarcho
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Re: Automated Events/ Cash Donations

Post by Anarcho »

I should clarify, again, that according to Derrick this is not what he meant whatsoever - frankly it would shock me as all of us staff have wasted countless hours discussing the topic to death with him in the past.

I welcome the discussion - but a discussion based on false pretenses is pointless.

bushman

Post by bushman »

again someone requesting events and seems it wont go anywhere. staff can ignore the playerbase all they want, but itll result in the shard dying

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Make it like a coin-op machine - pay your money and get a shard wide event. That is cool.

However I will not be back until the game-breaking LOS exploit is removed.

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

Have you tried not hiding in shitty houses all the time?
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Brules

Post by Brules »

A LOS bug that DID NOT EXIST in era, was NOT USED in era, and would have resulted in a BAN in era (due to you having to use a program not allowed at the time) should be this shard's #1 patch priority.

The fact that it is now useable due to the ability of Razor should not mean it should be readily allowed in game as it is in no way shape or form era accurate.

This shard claims to be era accurate, but in ERA, you could not exploit the LOS bug (BUG is just what it is) and it should not exist here.

It is the single worst thing that exists on UOSA right now and is keeping countless players away, running off any new players and all round ruing this shard - just like it would have done in era if it existed. No one knew about it or exploited it due to the fact there was NO WAY TO IN ERA.

Fix this please.

Then worry about events.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Re: Razor & LOS.

I see. Statloss reds should be able to use Razor to idle-off counts and evade and/or macro-back statloss, but other players should be prevented from using Razor to grief those efforts ...

... because, as we all know, every new UO player takes his starter-100gp and places a tower/keep/castle to macro in.

There are numerous "era-inaccuracies" that are related to UOSA's policies on Razor and multi-clienting.

I possess absolutely zero-interest in attracting to this shard players who can not (be bothered to) adapt to the limitations imposed by the over-exaggerated "LOS bug".

So, these remarks here are nothing more than off-topic, after all.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Jay

Post by Jay »

SaibotMK wrote:there are plenty of people out there that would love to play here, and they don't even know it yet.
It's true there are a lot of arguably trammy related "problems" (LOS/grief etc.) that exist on this server and drive some people away, but there are those of us who love it. i think we just need to find more of us while working on whatever (if any) minor problems we may have.

with that being said what about cash donations for a detailed marketing plan? (facebook is a good place to run paid ads imo because you can be very selective on who your ads reach and spend only want you want to spend.)

i would donate personally for a marketing plan that made sense, so far I've heard nothing.

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:Re: Razor & LOS.

I see. Statloss reds should be able to use Razor to idle-off counts and evade and/or macro-back statloss, but other players should be prevented from using Razor to grief those efforts ...

... because, as we all know, every new UO player takes his starter-100gp and places a tower/keep/castle to macro in.

There are numerous "era-inaccuracies" that are related to UOSA's policies on Razor and multi-clienting.

I possess absolutely zero-interest in attracting to this shard players who can not (be bothered to) adapt to the limitations imposed by the over-exaggerated "LOS bug".

So, these remarks here are nothing more than off-topic, after all.

SS
lol, the people who have statloss reds don't macro in vulnerable houses... Newbies who don't know any better do. I've seen far more newbs killed with this method than reds.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Kye Smogg

Post by Kye Smogg »

What I don't think you're seeing here is that simply perhaps it isn't worth his caring about anymore. I highly suspect that this place, in Derrick's eyes, has become like an adopted child who is now 25 and jobless living at home. The drama, population loss and toxic player base all likely contributed, along with whatever is going on in real life.

What'll happen is this thread will build up, people will present reasonable but highly unlikely ideas, and then the thread will get arbitrarily locked, because some seem to really enjoy the control of being a message board admin. Let the people speak, at least they care, don't run them off too.

Nickodemuse

Post by Nickodemuse »

I started on this shard in November of 2014, have only been killed once while macroing. Thanks soma!

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Kye Smogg wrote:What I don't think you're seeing here is that simply perhaps it isn't worth his caring about anymore. I highly suspect that this place, in Derrick's eyes, has become like an adopted child who is now 25 and jobless living at home. The drama, population loss and toxic player base all likely contributed, along with whatever is going on in real life.

What'll happen is this thread will build up, people will present reasonable but highly unlikely ideas, and then the thread will get arbitrarily locked, because some seem to really enjoy the control of being a message board admin. Let the people speak, at least they care, don't run them off too.
Most threads do not get locked. We let people suggest ideas or complain day in and day out, but typically lock or move threads due to forum warriors. Having 35 of the same thread where we discuss the same topic every time and people sling hate at each other, at the shard's goals, or the shard's administration do not have a place here.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

LNE

Post by LNE »

If the goal of staff regarding this server was to increase population they would do that ? I don't think staff is neglecting playbase and population. However their dedication to preserving era accuracy out weighs the decisions to "sell out" and build population the cheap way.

As far as we can tell there really is actually only 1 staff member who contributes. He tries his best to listen to community while walking the fine line of being politically correct.

You have to keep people interested by adding fresh content , obtainable goals , and reasons to do things. There is absolutely 0 reason to do anything in UOSA after initial set up. Unless you have 35+ mil you cannot buy anything unique. No point in buying a tower or any LOS type house. Bless deed ? Who cares things break . Pointless. Neon hair is really they only thing to strive for.

Stop beating a dead horse and let Boom create for who is left. Hopefully draw back in some vets and new players alike. UO free servers are a niche. T2A is a niche within a niche. THIS type of t2a is a niche within a niche within a niche. They are doing a fantastic job to have what they have. There is no magic button to save it. Just entertain one new player at a time and hope it grows. The ONLY quick fix I could think of would be a CUB. Which will not happen but trust me add some pretty little stuff to that and you'd have 175-200 easy.

In the last couple years Boom has done a great job not neglecting player base and it has shown some success.

****LOS bug is ridiculous , why this was not immediately fixed I have no idea.

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

Because killing newbs in houses is hilarious.

Also era accurate.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Brules

Post by Brules »

Soma wrote:Because killing newbs in houses is hilarious.

Also era accurate.
Yes, but not using a bug that didn't exist/was not exploitable in era.....

They just need to make houses as safe as they were in era and it would fix a lot of issues. Too bad we can't make a custom version of Razor for here......make it era accurate FTW. :)