Provoke gain - something has to be wrong here

Topics related to Second Age
Nemo the bard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Provoke gain - something has to be wrong here

Post by Nemo the bard »

Good afternoon,
So has anyone GM'd provoke lately? I started my guy this morning at 0730, he was at 88.5. It is now 1215 and he is at 89.6. No disconnects, straight macro time pitting 2 trapped animals against each other in the house. That is over 4 hours for 1.1 gain at 5/10 sec intervals (depending on success or fail of skill) and GM music.

Does this seem messed up to anyone else?
Is there some type of check on what the animal type is you are provoking that has some type of min/max skill gain?

Thanks for your input!

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Provoke gain - something has to be wrong here

Post by Mens Rea »

Hmmmmmmmmmm good question

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Nemo the bard wrote:...
Is there some type of check on what the animal type is you are provoking that has some type of min/max skill gain?

Thanks for your input!
It's been a little while since I trained a Provo but it didn't matter what kind of animal the char trained on, from 0 up to GM.

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

For the past two days I have been macroing provo on one of my newer chars. He is currently at 97,6 so I see no problem there. I have a troll trapped by tables in my house and provo him on my macroing char. Hope it helps. Cheers!

Werther: "Better die logged in than to never have logged in."

Nemo the bard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nemo the bard »

Very interesting, how would I go about trapping a monster like that in my house? I am currently using 2 dogs that I purchased and then released.

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

Just aggro a monster and lead it into your house. Simple as that. It surely is a little bit more difficult to do if you happen to own a small house, but still very do-able.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Short answer: there's no reason for your gains to stall, so far as the Provocation mechanics would be concerned.

Also, don't worry about any Trolls: Provocation, here, is not difficulty-based (OSI added that during UO:R); your dogs are just fine.

Some possibilities:

1. LOS: if one of the target objects can move into a location that can't be seen by either "Provokee", Provoke will fail; something similar will happen if either breaks LOS with the Provoker ...
2a. Macro screw-up: I bet this is the case (2a or 2b, that is), and I bet it's being caused by Razor remembering Sysmessages (perhaps combined with the server-side lagginess we've noticed a bit of, last few weeks); your macro might often be firing a valid Provoke attempt on something like only once every 21 seconds ...
2b. Macro screw-up based on how it's written, because Razor remembers previous Sysmessages: if the macro is written like this,

Loop!
If Sysmessage = fail
Pause 5.0 seconds
Else
Pause 10.0 seconds
UseSkill: Provocation
[la-de-da]
End If

You may be suffering a huge number of "false delays" because of Razor remembering Sysmessages, and that can compound to throw the timing synchronization off, too.

I would suggest a macro that simply spams Provoke every 5 seconds, or even every second, and does not "listen for" success or failure at all.

Good luck!

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

The only thing I would change is to get rid of one of the dogs and provoke onto yourself. Not sure how your targets are set up, but maybe you are trying to provoke a dog onto itself by accident?

On a side note, I gm'd provoke within the last 3 months. It's really slow.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

I never suggested it HAS to be a troll. I simply use the troll as it happened to be the closest monster in the vicinity of my house and also I simultaneously use it to gain eval on another char. :)

Nemo the bard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nemo the bard »

Thanks everyone for the tips, have it running now.... will track while I am at work. Started the day at 0730 at 94, so I will update this afternoon and let y'all know how it's going.

Kabup

Post by Kabup »

Provo is just very slow. I did try a lot of things, nothing speed up the training.
I did try inside a house, in the city, in the wild, with dogs and birds, monsters, cycling targets, eventually I give up. Just launch the macro and wait a week to gm.
Slowly Lord British, ruler of Britannia, rises from his throne. Brushing the dust off of his crown, a concerned realization crosses his face. The rumors are true!

Nemo the bard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nemo the bard »

UPDATE:
Finally got to GM! I added it up, broken up over several days it took approximately 40 hours of attempting provoke every 5 seconds. Wow. In comparison, he went from 0 music to GM in just under 5 hours when I started this whole mess. I tried ettins, grizzly bears, dogs, and then finally a couple rats I bought because I'm broke and that's what I could afford. lol All in all, it seemed like it raised the fastest with the ettins buts I'm sure more likely it was just in my mind.
Thanks to everyone for input and support!

Now comes the fun part.....trying to find stuff to provoke to make some dang money!!!
any suggestions?

Ben420Womp

Post by Ben420Womp »

Nemo the bard wrote:UPDATE:
Finally got to GM! I added it up, broken up over several days it took approximately 40 hours of attempting provoke every 5 seconds. Wow. In comparison, he went from 0 music to GM in just under 5 hours when I started this whole mess. I tried ettins, grizzly bears, dogs, and then finally a couple rats I bought because I'm broke and that's what I could afford. lol All in all, it seemed like it raised the fastest with the ettins buts I'm sure more likely it was just in my mind.
Thanks to everyone for input and support!

Now comes the fun part.....trying to find stuff to provoke to make some dang money!!!
any suggestions?
Think my Provo has been around 98 forever and I only fail like one out of every 150

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

Nemo the bard wrote: Now comes the fun part.....trying to find stuff to provoke to make some dang money!!!
any suggestions?
I would suggest recalling around a few high end spawn spots, make a few runs and then cash it at a bank or at home. And remember: Try to be as efficient and swift as possible - the more time you spend in a dungeon, the higher the chance to get PK'd.

Air eles in shame
Blood ele in Shame
Poison ele in Shame
Poison ele in Deceit
Ancient wyrm in Destard

On ocasion there are a few PKs, namely vega (everywhere), wildchild (Shame) and krivid (Shame), Miss Monster (Destard) and a couple others here and there.