What to do

Topics related to Second Age
Gexuan

What to do

Post by Gexuan »

Just starting, downloaded everything this weekend. I played UO from 1997 to 2008 on the Pacific Shard.

I like the idea of pre AOS shard and there is a TON I have to get used to again. The rules are so much different during this age (which I love). I think most of my templates I had in 2008 are not very viable. If I remember correctly I had a lot of fun with a Provo mage and of course my archer pre AOS.

Is taming worthwhile? (never had a pre AOS tamer)
Are there any player vendors and where are they?

looking forward to rebuilding after a long absence

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: What to do

Post by Roser »

Taming is very powerful, see my guide here for tips on how to raise it.

Also check out Horus and Roser's General store over at Ocllo bank, might have what you need. Link is in my signature.

And we have a discord if you want to chat, its quite active. Link is at the top of the page.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

All of Roser's advice is tremendously good.

Lots of rules-mechanics differences pre/post-AoS: it's pretty-much everything, lol; post in this section, or in this post, or PM me, and these differences can be explained.

The most-important ones:
  • Skill- and Stat-caps; all skills max. 100
  • Insta-Hit & weapon timers; weapon damage
  • No Special Moves
  • Hit-Location & AR; no Resistances; damage calculation; colored-ingot-crafted armor is only 'pretty', and/or GM
  • definitions of magic modifiers for magic weapons & armor; silver is the only kind of "slayer"
  • No "Lumberjack bonus" to axe-weapon damage; how Anatomy relates to Weapon-damage & Healing
  • Bandage timers
  • Active & Passive Meditation; effects of armor (pieces) on Meditation
  • Certain spell effects
  • Crafting menus/gumps, & "recipes"; no Bulk Order Deeds
  • No Faction Warfare; NO TRAMMEL (except in certain peeps' houses ...)
  • Different Murder & Reputation system; Player-Killing & Guard Zones
  • Skill-delays
  • Differences in certain difficulty-based, v. non-difficulty-based, skills
  • Different skill effects/mechanics with certain skills
  • Housing, and Rules for Houses & Ships
  • No "Paragons"; some differences in Treasure-Map Hunting
I'm sure there's tons I've failed to mention. Do not be discouraged! Ask! These mechanics are awesome (even if some are era-accurately 'imperfect')!

A lot of stuff can be confirmed here (use links in the side-bar), or by visiting UOSA's Wiki.

Once you get a handle on the basic differences, visit 3 pages on my own guildpage to explore Template possibilities: Professions of Virtue, Professions of Pride, and Other Professions.

Welcome to the shard!

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

There are lots of player vendors around Yew moongate and Yew bank as well.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Hi, I played Pacific from circa 98 to not too long after Trammel... UO was dead at that point.

Green Horde guild of East Brit forest.

Gexuan

Post by Gexuan »

OK,

I am having fun building my new Provo mage Wing. I die a lot but I like the fact that this game is not meant to be easy. Soon I will get the margery and resist up there so I can really be useful

then get enough money for a small house.

Rik Smits

Post by Rik Smits »

I recommend a 2nd account (you can have 3 total) and mine ingots or chop trees for boards while your other account macros skills. They are both easy to sell and a good way to get quick cash for regs/house/etc.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Rik Smits wrote:I recommend a 2nd account (you can have 3 total) and mine ingots or chop trees for boards while your other account macros skills. They are both easy to sell and a good way to get quick cash for regs/house/etc.
This, also, is good advice. I'll add: 50/50 lumberjack/bowyer can effortlessly harvest wood & craft bows to sell to the NPC shopkeepers; never leaving Britain guard zone, for example, such a character can earn several thousand gold per hour.

For Gexuan,

Provo-mage is an excellent PvM template: Dyschord (Jester).

Have fun!

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Gexuan

Post by Gexuan »

got enough gold to buy a small house and place it a screen away from Trinsic Moongate. Love rexeploring all the places I remember from 97. Finding placed I had totally forgotten about. Love it