Exceptionally Crafted armor and weapons

Topics related to Second Age
randale

Exceptionally Crafted armor and weapons

Post by randale »

A GM piece of armor is equal to a guarding magical piece. A exceptionally crafted weapon is equal to a force for a damage plus. What about those for accuracy and + to item HP?

SighelmofWyrmgard

Re: Exceptionally Crafted armor and weapons

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

randale wrote:A GM piece of armor is equal to a guarding magical piece.
No. Exceptional armor gives only a trifle more AR than "of Defense": GM armor should be considered equal to "of Defense".
randale wrote:A exceptionally crafted weapon is equal to a force for a damage plus.
No. An exceptional weapon gives a base damage bonus that is between "Might" and "Force": Force is better than GM; Might with high Tactics bonus will almost always be better than GM (depends on the weapon, though: a Supremely Accurate Dagger of Might is not better than a GM dagger, but an Accurate Halberd of Might is better than a GM halberd, and should be considered equal to a +0 Halberd of Force)
randale wrote:What about those for accuracy and + to item HP?
Exceptional weapons offer no accuracy/tactics bonus. Exceptional armor and weapons do receive a bonus to the die roll for determining durability hit points (on OSI, players found that they could use "VDP" to determine the durability and, hence, pricing for GM gear; that mechanism has not been replicated here at UOSA).

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

randale

Post by randale »

I meant to say exceptional instead of GM. Just what exactly is the difference between a GM piece and an exceptional piece? Is a GM piece ANY piece of armor crafted by a GM smith, or any exceptional piece of armor crafted by a GM smith? I didn't know GM makes any difference to a piece of armor you can make.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

randale wrote:I meant to say exceptional instead of GM. Just what exactly is the difference between a GM piece and an exceptional piece? Is a GM piece ANY piece of armor crafted by a GM smith, or any exceptional piece of armor crafted by a GM smith? I didn't know GM makes any difference to a piece of armor you can make.
GM = Exceptional; Exceptional = Exceptional, period. "GM" refers to any exceptional piece, made by a GM Smith, to which the maker's mark has been attached (a maker's mark can be attached ONLY by a GM Smith).

To be clear, an exceptional piece is exceptional, regardless of the skill of the blacksmith; a maker's mark can ONLY appear on an exceptional piece that has been produced by a GM Blacksmith; hence, in common parlance, "GM" assumes exceptional.

There is no difference, otherwise: exceptional is exceptional, irrespective of the skill of the blacksmith. The same is true of all crafted items (i.e., a 50-skill bowyer's exceptional bow is exactly the same as a GM bowyer's maker's-marked GM exceptional bow).

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

randale

Post by randale »

But, you said a GM armor should be equivalent of defense, so are you saying exceptionals made by a GM do have a higher quality than an exceptional made by a non-GM smith?