Spell Revisions (Revised)

Topics related to Second Age
Derrick

Spell Revisions (Revised)

Post by Derrick »

The following spells may be undergoing revision soon for damage (and heal) and resist accuracy. The source of the corrections are from the Prima T2A Strat guide and Stratics guides from early 2000. I understand that neither of these sources are 100% accurate, but I feel that these changes do make the spells more accurate to the era than they were.
  • Heal : Reduction to amount healed. (Was 11 to 16, now 6 to 11 at GM Magery)
  • Harm : Correction to resisted damage, was no damage, now 50%.
  • Fireball : Damage calculation changed. Damage now based on magery skill.
  • Lightning : Correction to resisted damage, was 75%, now 50%.
  • Firefield : Correction to damage on resisted, was 1hp, now 50%
  • Energy Bolt : Damage when resisted was 12, now 50%
  • Explosion : Correction to resisted damage, was 75%, now 50%.
  • Flame Strike : Damage on resisted decreased from 60% to 50%
Feedback on this is encouraged.

alatar

Re: Spell Revisions

Post by alatar »

hell fuckin yeah, that's my feedback, those look like some realistic calculations.. Also is that change for mini heal or both heal spells?

And also, are there no changes to mind blast? Obviously I see it's not on the list but, its kinda useless at the moment.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Loathed

Re: Spell Revisions (Revised)

Post by Loathed »

i think all those changes are good, except for minheal. Miniheal should be 11 only at gm, not varying from 6 to 11, it's like weaken, at gm it always lowers stats by 11, i hear ppl bitching about minheal being too strong, but it doesn't heal thru dumps with two mere heals. that's only 22 hps recovered. casting miniheal three teams, would equal casting greaterheal once, and greater heal still heals a lil more, and takes 1 less mana, tho it can be interrupted. making the max for heal by miniheal at 11 would be good, but lowering the minimum to 6 is way off, i mean, at gm magery, c'mon 6 hp for 4 mana?

just my two cents

p.s - mindblast was always useless in this era. uo:r is when it actually did something.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Loathed wrote:i think all those changes are good, except for minheal.
The formula proposed for mini-heal is Magery/25 + (1-6). The problem with making is a fixed number like weaken by using a strict % of the magery skill is that it would significantly reduce the usefulness of the spell for lower level mages. Using the proposed formula, a mage with 25 skill would heal 2-7. Using a strict Magery skill only formula, that mage would heal 2hp. I know the response to this is going to be "who the hell has 25 magery", But this is the rationale behind the spell design. It's made to be useful to new mages.
alatar wrote:hell fuckin yeah, that's my feedback, those look like some realistic calculations.. Also is that change for mini heal or both heal spells?
And also, are there no changes to mind blast? Obviously I see it's not on the list but, its kinda useless at the moment.
I appreciate your enthusiasm. The changes to heal are for the first circle spell only. No changes are being made to greater heal.

Mind Blast was written from scratch for the shard and is believed to be completely accurate. Many of the errors on the above list are remnants of older era code.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

yeah i see what your saying about it not being constant, but 6 hp at gm magery seems a lil low. /shrugs
it's not like a mage spamming miniheal 10 times in a row is gonna be able to do much of a combo afterwards.

alatar

Post by alatar »

mini heal needs to be nerfed.. the ability to heal up to 16 hp with 100% chance of no disruption is unheard of.. if you want a big heal, cast -greater- heal.. as it is now my mini heals almost cover the damage when i resist a flamestrike, lol ;\

I think all the changes will bring good improvements to pvp, especially for those who choose to fight as a pure mage opposed to a hybrid. As it is now without a secondary source of damage (wands, pots, weps) it's pretty difficult to bring your opponent low on health simply because you can heal through poison.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

nerfed to 11 hp i think yes, but not to 6 minimum, takes mana to cast miniheal, i promise you a mage spamming miniheal, won't have mana to turn around and dump.

platy

Post by platy »

this is great news.!!!
finally it will take skill to survive a dump instead of a simple miniheal spam.
the spell was WAYYY to effective, thank you soo much derrick!!

loathed thats the way it should be for miniheal.. GHEAL was ALWAYS a better spell.. better mana for heal recover, its been opposite for too long here, seems too many people are getting used to the UO:R style miniheals..
miniheal spamming was horrible on osi- three miniheals were NEVER worth ONE gheal (hence gheal is in a circle 4 TIMES higher than miniheal), so as far as accuracy this is great.

alatars right, most people were able to miniheal through flamestrike or ebolt.. 6th and 7th circle spells being practicaly useless thanks to miniheal..

I remember mindblast being COMPLETELY useless until the factions test center was released.. at which point nobody casted ebolt anymore..

Also Derrick, seems there was a change to fireball, could you provide the formula?

this is going to change the pvp on this shard for the better, the more skilled pvpers should have an easier time killing those who depended on these high heal rates, not to mention the smaller spells now have a little bit more importance in disturbing gheals.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

hey, while we're on the subject of change. :)

think maybe meditation can be looked into? i'm GM meditation, like most out there i'm sure, and I fail at meditating, and awful lot... like way to much. anyone else get that?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Loathed wrote:hey, while we're on the subject of change. :)

think maybe meditation can be looked into? i'm GM meditation, like most out there i'm sure, and I fail at meditating, and awful lot... like way to much. anyone else get that?
It's not uncommon to fail if you have extremly low mana. You shouldn't fail though if you have > 10 mana or so at GM.

Ambidextrious

Post by Ambidextrious »

Loathed wrote:hey, while we're on the subject of change. :)

It's because your mana is too low. At too low mana, you can fail at meditation.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The meditation calculation is not right, and this also explains why the hat trick works here.
I'm fixing the calculation, the end result should be that you'll have half of the failures that you previously did at low mana levels, but the hat trick will no longer work. Meditation gains are difficulty based.

Here's a preliminary chart of the new formula:
MedChart.gif
MedChart.gif (3.37 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
If you are above MaxSkill, you will never fail, but you will also have no chance to gain skill. If you are below MinSkill, you have no chance of active meditation.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

If there's no further objection or comment on this I'm going to implement these changes for tomorrow. With great respect for Loathed's objection on the mini-heal and while from some standpoint I do agree with the points made, I think accuracy to the era is the trump here, and there seems to be great enthusiasm for the fixes.

Thanks guys for the constructive feedback.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

platy wrote:Also Derrick, seems there was a change to fireball, could you provide the formula?
Fireball = (Magery/8) + (1 to 6)

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

after long thought about the revision to miniheal, i too am going to jump on the bandwagon here and say, I think this will be good for us. Miniheal was too strong before this change, and this will bring some nice changes to pvp and such.
Great kudos all-round! :)