Step by Step Guide to SecondAge growth with examples

Topics related to Second Age
kwhiz73
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Step by Step Guide to SecondAge growth with examples

Post by kwhiz73 »

Surprisingly enough what attracted me back to UO was that mandolin intro music. Although most of us turn the music off---I can't think of a more powerful reminder. This would be geared toward folks that have played before at some time. I'm not sure you're going to see too many people joining secondage that have never played before. It's a different era with shorter attention spans---will probably only happen due to personal referrals.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

kwhiz73 wrote:---will probably only happen due to personal referrals.
Likely true. It's possibly a hard thing to understand outside of having played in this time.

Referrals though: Yes. Second Age is a success primarily and possibly solely due to word of mouth.
Subject: Step by Step Guide to SecondAge growth with examples

The music really is something :)
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Derrick wrote:
kwhiz73 wrote:---will probably only happen due to personal referrals.
Likely true. It's possibly a hard thing to understand outside of having played in this time.

Referrals though: Yes. Second Age is a success primarily and possibly solely due to word of mouth.
Subject: Step by Step Guide to SecondAge growth with examples

The music really is something :)
If there are regularly 'seer oriented events' and this info gets out to people on other shards, it'd be something to draw people to this one. Perhaps a seer only forum (where the outcomes of events can be posted) or some sort of schedule showing previous, current, and upcoming events/story arcs. I dunno exactly...but people like content and a seer is basically content.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Twyzted

Post by Twyzted »

I am a long term member of a large (800+ members) Gaming clan, www.atfclan.com. I'm trying to drum up some interest for UOSA, I've been here for about a week and I'm not going anywhere.

So if you start to see a few folks running around with names like ATFsomethinsomethin, That's us.

Thanks for the wonderful server UOSA staff.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Welcome to Second Age!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Dirk Magirk

Post by Dirk Magirk »

kwhiz73 wrote:Surprisingly enough what attracted me back to UO was that mandolin intro music.
Interestingly enough, I've been thinking about coming back to UO for the last couple of weeks (UO Second Age specifically, because well... come on, who wants to play with a bunch of glowing bullshit and l33t sk1llz?), but what struck me to finally get back into it was listening to a musician at my work playing a song that sounded similar to a classic UO midi track. Humorous.

So, does anyone ever get the bone wall going again?

Victor Cassella

Post by Victor Cassella »

Twyzted wrote:I am a long term member of a large (800+ members) Gaming clan, http://www.atfclan.com. I'm trying to drum up some interest for UOSA, I've been here for about a week and I'm not going anywhere.

So if you start to see a few folks running around with names like ATFsomethinsomethin, That's us.

Thanks for the wonderful server UOSA staff.
That is a really good idea. If people can contact some old school large Clans/Guilds. We could get some large numbers coming over.

checkmate

Post by checkmate »

Not sure if anyone cares but I thought I'd post why I left.

So I haven't been on for maybe 8 months and it is because I ran out of things to do. I got my millions, my tower, and wanted more stuff to buy... but there was nothing within reach. You just hit this wall.

Now I know a lot of people here are going to say things like "Oh well you should go collect rares, go buy a castle, make a mule" or give a list of some sort of mundane collection task, but I just got tired of it. Tired of seeing the same objects, same houses, same weapons -- it would have been nice to have more ways to customize.

I also know the nature of the players here is to respond with "blah blah this is true T2A, if we add stuff then other people will want more, it will become a stupid neon-fest etc." and I totally respect that. I'm not trying to raise an argument, I'm just sharing my personal opinion of why I left.

I still check up here every now and again to see how the shard is doing, and it seems that it is doing... just okay. I get the feeling the IN RATE is the same as the OUT RATE as I haven't seen much growth. It makes me feel like the question shouldn't be how to get more people to come, but how to get more people to STAY. Do I have an ultimate answer? Naively I'd say add more items back like plants, house decorations, and some of other houses introduced in Renaissance for more variety, but others would challenge that. But to all those who don't want change, keep in mind era's, in any context, only last so long for a reason.

Inda

Post by Inda »

Wow, ok, whatever Checkmate.

Anyways to those of us who actually care about UOSA:

Why doesn't somebody script up a "buddy invite" thingie mah-jigger on the website? i.e. I put my friends e-mail into a form, submit my real life name and it sends an email out to a friend or friends linking the getting started page and other pertinent information in a standardized e-mail?

dahbrew
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dahbrew »

Like the Facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/uosecondage

mic275620

Post by mic275620 »

I am a new player to this shard. One of the reasons I kept playing is because I met a lot of friendly people who helped me along through advice and gifting items (which were useful to me and probably less useful to an advanced player). One person (Phat Abbott) even gave me access to a house in which to train. I have started returning the favors to new players that I run across by taking time to explain game mechanics or gifting armor that I wasn't using.
- Mygar

s20dan

Post by s20dan »

kwhiz73 wrote:Surprisingly enough what attracted me back to UO was that mandolin intro music. Although most of us turn the music off---I can't think of a more powerful reminder.
Yes I saw that intro screen and that was it, that music is very powerful to me.

I found out about this server a few days ago, I've been on it non-stop ever since. One of the first things I did was look up my old UO buddies and let them know about this gem.

I never really played freeshards before, other than building my own custom shard for a handful of people (Using the original UO rulest of course ;) ) So this shard has been a massive surprise... It has more players than OSI had when I last played that, the players are "better", they have the right attitude towards playing a game from this era, which I suppose is obvious since we are all from that era.

And the fact that this server is T2A is just an even bigger bonus. That expansion always held the most powerful memories for me.

Cheers.

Edit//

Its also great to be able to play this again and see for certain that my memories/opinions of the game are not caused by "rose-tinted glasses" ;)

decrement

Post by decrement »

Heya, new blood here.

I played UO off and on from release, with the majority of my play-time in the T2A era. We recently had a UO themed post hit the front page over at Reddit, http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... leplaying/ . The conversation that came about from it triggered some nostalgia, someone in there dropped a link to SecondAge and here I am.

Sites like Reddit are a good hunting ground to rope players back in. I remember the poor quality of the first Free-to-Play shards to emerge, I would not have known that quality options now exist, of my favorite era no less, had a funny reference to UO not popped up on the site.

Thanks to everyone who has put countless hours and resources into this project. It's nice to find pieces of my past still alive.

EnigmaMaitreya

Post by EnigmaMaitreya »

*Shrug* My 2cp's follow

I think the major key in any MMORPG, regardless of free or pay, is an active and functional community.

I think that community is both in game and on forums, such as this.

I think the more active and functional the community is the more people will come to it.

Degamra

Post by Degamra »

I started a blog about playing on the server. Any advice on how to get it seen? I'll post the address shortly.

http://degamra.tumblr.com/