Voting for UOSA (2016 Update)

News and Announcements
LargePiece
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Publicizing the Server and helping players find us

Post by LargePiece »

I was just hoping you could be a little more specific. Personally I really like the art work on the original CD cover and I like how the present banner utilises that instead of in game graphics. I'm not so sure I like the inconsistency between the the style of the two fonts at the bottom however.

I like parts of your remake too. The colours work well together, especially the blue font over the blue cloudy background. I also like your opaque work with the UO insignia, although I'd like to be able to see it a little better. The main font is cool, simple yet effective, I like to black keyline. Although, I would like to be able to see your recdu guy a bit better, is that a ship's mast sticking out of his butt? Personally, I don't think the 'recdu' speech adds much to it, although I guess it has some links to the T2a era.
Disco Damnation: "Why is my mouth so dry? I think I need something to eat."
Large Piece: "Damn, fencing is useless..."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Ha, on the ships mast.

You've got a better eye than me. I thought that the recdu guy was fishing the first time I looked at the banner.

I do really like the style of this too, the one thing I wish was integrated was the "UO Mondain" logo, which is really the trademark of T2A. The crisp font's are definately a huge improvement.

Thanks Cheez.

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

I think it's way too busy as shit, but if you like it.. use it.

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

LargePiece wrote:Personally, I don't think the 'recdu' speech adds much to it, although I guess it has some links to the T2a era.
I don't know, I wanted to add something to it so I was just cruising around the main page and saw him. "Recdu" connects with the lost lands introduced in T2A and also I thought might mean "enter" as you use it to enter them.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

bigcheez wrote:I think it's way too busy as shit, but if you like it.. use it.

Thanks. It does seem a little busy to me too, but as soon as I get a chance I'll get these new banners into some of the lisiting sites.

Riv

Post by Riv »

how many clients can the server handle at a time?

one thing i've noticed is that there is no lag here which is awesome. I'm on dsl but it's shared with a few other ppl and even i haven't experienced any lag.

the client list seems pretty consistently over 300..how many could it handle? 500? more?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Riv wrote:how many clients can the server handle at a time?

one thing i've noticed is that there is no lag here which is awesome. I'm on dsl but it's shared with a few other ppl and even i haven't experienced any lag.

the client list seems pretty consistently over 300..how many could it handle? 500? more?
We can handle many times more than we currently have. It's a qud proc machine and we're averaging < 4% processor usage for the shard. If it comes to it we will upgrade hardware. There is no limit to our growth potential.

GzA

Post by GzA »

I've done my part and voted when I can. Trying to start up and enjoy the server casually...

If the packet-loss issue gets fixed with this new server, I'm sure this will bring back some players who probably noticed this upon their first experiences. I would really recommend pumping up the new server over and over on your main page and throughout the forums.

Perhaps also on top of having an active client counter, list the high of the previous day or week somewhere on the main page.

People are drawn to player run shards with a strong player base... if someone comes by this site and sees it peaks at near 500... they might give it a go.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks a ton for your support!

We have some great statistics available on the JoinUO.com site:
http://joinuo.com/Stats.aspx?i=2

An online counter right on our banner image on the Shard Listing Sites is one thing I'm also currently working on.

GzA

Post by GzA »

This might be the easiest/simplest way to gather in all the traffic that visits this site or clicks on this link via a google search...

I noticed it last night when I wanted to jump on t2a via my lap. Last time I played UO on it was a year ago when I bought a char to screw around with on Divinity. I still had Razor/UO... and I'm sure alot of people who are casually browsing the internet have Razor installed... either from a stint on IPY, Hybrid, Divinity or some crap make shift shard.

Anyway, I went to the main page here and couldn't find the address/port. Sure, I looked around for 2 minutes and found it... but... I found this server casually surfing the net... I could have just as easily not given it a try. However, if you have UO/Razor installed, knowing all you have to do to join the best UO server online is just change the address/port and the info is right in front of you... you'd be much more likely to give it a try.

People are inherently lazy... and most people don't wake up one morning saying I need to play UO again after 5 years... it's casual.

So I recommend a small image, sort of like the IRC info on the right... simply saying, "Have UO/Razor? Sign in NOW @ uothesecondage.com port XXXX." Then the obvious link if you "don't have it"

Small idea, but really think a couple of people browsing this site have Razor/UO already.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Great suggestion. Doing this right now!

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

I love the testimonial section.

Also...may we should get a group of our local programmers together and work on a razor replacement....im sure we could make one better then razor. In that way it would point to T2A by default ^_^
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Drak

Post by Drak »

Hi. I just joined this server yesterday after a long beak from UO. I was about to reopen my old account on the production shards when I thought a free server would be a better fit.

Long story short, this is my second day here and I realy like what I see.

To the point of this thread. When I searched for "free UO servers" on google and followed a link, I received a list of servers. I think these servers are ranked / rated somehow, but this server was number two on the list. I chose it over any other for the simple line at the bottom of the graphic. . . "The way it was."

I don't know if this will help in your future recruiting / advertising, but I thought you may like to know how I ended up choosing this server.

On a side note, I have already informed my brother and a friend about this server.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Welcome to Second Age!
Glad you were able to find us, thanks for the post.

Zigo-U-

Post by Zigo-U- »

The best way to help new players find us is to attack the runescape / ragnarok communities with messages that speak to the gamer looking for a better free mmorpg experience, not an old nostalgia.

Return to “Shard News”