Reflections after one day in Ultima Online

A place to discuss shard marketing ideas to find players seeking a T2A experience.
MikeNH311

Reflections after one day in Ultima Online

Post by MikeNH311 »

I will be looking for a new shard starting tonight. I have been playing on your shard for all of one day, and have encountered several people who wished for nothing more than to help a new player like myself find their way in this somewhat confusing and intimidating game. To those (few) people I met: Thank you.

I was killed by 3 different players whilst in a city, and under protection of the town guard. That's great, PvP can happen anywhere, wonderful-no complaints from me. However, if you are never safe anywhere, and even towns cannot protect you from players who are unbelievably better than your character, then why bother playing? While this may sound like your typical "lol, n00b" story, I ask you: Why do you bother discussing how to attract new people to your shard when the vast majority of players on it clearly want the opposite?

I read the rules, and followed them to the letter. I read through some guides, and even perused the forum before creating a character-all to familiarize myself with what I thought would be a community of people excited to see fresh faces in their game. Instead I was killed at the closest healer as soon as I resurrected.

I play video games with three friends, all of whom were excited to play UO again and to get on an active shard. Unfortunately I have had to tell them that this shard would not be the fun experience we were looking for, and that in fact the other players would ruin the game itself just as with any other MMO. If all that people on this shard want to do is kill people new to the game then...okay? We will find somewhere else to play.

Bottom line: Your shard is not very welcoming to new players who are trying to get a feel for the game. I ask for no changes to be made, and I don't want my inventory and money back. What I want is for someone to seriously explain why you don't want new players to join?

Patek
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Reflections after one day in Ultima Online

Post by Patek »

MikeNH311 wrote:I will be looking for a new shard starting tonight. I have been playing on your shard for all of one day, and have encountered several people who wished for nothing more than to help a new player like myself find their way in this somewhat confusing and intimidating game. To those (few) people I met: Thank you.

I was killed by 3 different players whilst in a city, and under protection of the town guard. That's great, PvP can happen anywhere, wonderful-no complaints from me. However, if you are never safe anywhere, and even towns cannot protect you from players who are unbelievably better than your character, then why bother playing? While this may sound like your typical "lol, n00b" story, I ask you: Why do you bother discussing how to attract new people to your shard when the vast majority of players on it clearly want the opposite?

I read the rules, and followed them to the letter. I read through some guides, and even perused the forum before creating a character-all to familiarize myself with what I thought would be a community of people excited to see fresh faces in their game. Instead I was killed at the closest healer as soon as I resurrected.

I play video games with three friends, all of whom were excited to play UO again and to get on an active shard. Unfortunately I have had to tell them that this shard would not be the fun experience we were looking for, and that in fact the other players would ruin the game itself just as with any other MMO. If all that people on this shard want to do is kill people new to the game then...okay? We will find somewhere else to play.

Bottom line: Your shard is not very welcoming to new players who are trying to get a feel for the game. I ask for no changes to be made, and I don't want my inventory and money back. What I want is for someone to seriously explain why you don't want new players to join?
See my post in the Second Age General Discussion board for answers to everything above. You've got it all wrong :)

nubnub
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by nubnub »

MikeNH311 wrote:What I want is for someone to seriously explain why you don't want new players to join?
We're looking for new players not new sissies. Your first reaction to era mechanics you don't understand is to spam the forum with fist-biting rants and a promise to find a different server to play on after one day...T2A claims another!

Sierra

Post by Sierra »

nubnub wrote:
MikeNH311 wrote:What I want is for someone to seriously explain why you don't want new players to join?
We're looking for new players not new sissies. Your first reaction to era mechanics you don't understand is to spam the forum with fist-biting rants and a promise to find a different server to play on after one day...T2A claims another!

I am sad that you gave up on it so quickly. If you're new to UO it takes a fair amount of time to adjust. Basically UO has no limits except the ones you place on yourself. This game requires you to think outside the box, which can be a real change to those who come from more Nanny-state games like Warcraft. But, this game teaches you lessons about life and about yourself that you can not only utilize in game but in your real life as well. When I started in 98 (with my then boyfriend now husband) it was very difficult for me too because I have a weakness of wanting to trust others and make friends with everyone I see. They call me little ball of sunshine at the office because I'm short lol and always smiling. :)

There were definite growing pains. It's best to group with real life friends and family in my opinion. The greatest part of Ultima is you can accomplish anything in this game all by yourself. If I want to group, I can. If I want to go in on it alone I can. It's absolute freedom. Games that force grouping have taken the very spirit out of the MMO I think. The truest gaming experience is pushing yourself through new challenges with no one to depend on. There is no greater rush when you succeed and I actually believe that people who've been on this server for years haven't discovered that bliss yet, but many have and once you do you're hooked! Once you experience that everything else is cheap. I hope you reconsider and give it another try. Feel free to PM me if you need some help or advice.