Patch 117 Preview on Test Center

News and Announcements
Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Patch 117 Preview on Test Center

Post by Kraarug »

Poogoblin,

We know that both player and mount stamina drain was off as implemented here on live. The TC is a direct application of OSI code but it seems that the mount fatigue is excessive. Player fatigue should be pretty much spot on.

We've spent a long time with virtually limitless mount stamina and favorable player stamina loss so there will be some things that seem off.

It seems that the mount stamina needs to be addressed but when it's done right we will not see the conditions we currently have on UOSA. There will be some adjustment we'll all need to make.

I guess mount killing will take on a new statement. It would suck to lose a mount you trained for a week or so.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

I guess I'm not really understanding, faust says mount stam is unlimited (then why is my mount fatigued after ~50sih steps) and Kaarurug says it is off but player stam is spot on? Someone with 10 stam can't run from Brit Inn to Brit Jewlers? It all seems goofy to me (I was on TC just a day or two ago and didn't have this problem btw)...I guess I'll just see what ends up going live because as I said it is virtually unplayable as is on the TC.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

poogoblin wrote:I guess I'm not really understanding, faust says mount stam is unlimited (then why is my mount fatigued after ~50sih steps) and Kaarurug says it is off but player stam is spot on? Someone with 10 stam can't run from Brit Inn to Brit Jewlers? It all seems goofy to me (I was on TC just a day or two ago and didn't have this problem btw)...I guess I'll just see what ends up going live because as I said it is virtually unplayable as is on the TC.
I don't remember being able to run much as a new character on OSI during era. Have low stamina meant something significant back then.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Hop of your horse and tell it to follow you just like it was possible in '99...

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

I agree, but I also remember making my first character, a blacksmith, and never even noticing stamina as I ran from the inn to the northern BS forge. I can make it about half way to the forge now before I have to walk...I'm telling you, maybe it needed fixed but it feels too far the "other" way.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Faust wrote:Hop of your horse and tell it to follow you just like it was possible in '99...
Again, I didn't need to use tactics to make it from Brit forge to N Brit mines, my horse could make the run np...that isn't the case on TC.

I know it is nice to have this tactic implemented but the overall stamina drain now feels like overkill.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

I know you don't play any longer Faust, but Kraarug, make a newbie character and run with him...you don't get but 2 screens before you have to walk.

Again I'll see how it ends up being published. If it ends up being like it is on TC there will probably be many more than just myself freaking out about this. It truly feels on the verge of "gamebreaking"

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

poogoblin wrote:I know you don't play any longer Faust, but Kraarug, make a newbie character and run with him...you don't get but 2 screens before you have to walk.

Again I'll see how it ends up being published. If it ends up being like it is on TC there will probably be many more than just myself freaking out about this. It truly feels on the verge of "gamebreaking"
Will do when I get back from work.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Also Faust, Kraarug translated your "unlimited" stamina comment, for me.

I still stand by the fact the amount one should be able to run on a mount before using the "all follow" bug is still far too short.

I don't think it would actually count as playing if you just jumped on TC and tried it Faust, so you wouldn't be ridiculed for actually playing :-P

Faust

Post by Faust »

I have been actively playing for the past week after taking a break from the game... If you read my post earlier on in this thread you would realize that I have already tested the changes this morning. I also placed in my comment that the decay in stamina seemed rather extreme based on my recollection of the way it worked. However, this doesn't mean anything since NOTHING is based on memory alone here. Taking a pause for one second to refresh your mounts stamina for the benefit of having unlimited stamina isn't that big of a deal to me. This actually adds a risk vs reward in this situation since you could very well lose your mount if you attempt to refresh it.

The only problem with trying to divert from the demo code is that there are no patches or information to suggest it was ever changed until September '00 when a patch specifically states that mounts receive an overhaul that will increase their stamina value so they can run a lot further. It is highly possible that people including me could be mistaking the UOR change for the way mounts run. However, I do recall in '99 using fastwalk and having to hop off and refresh my mounts stamina numerous times doing in what it seemed to be every 20 or so seconds. I have very mixed feelings about the stamina decay so far based on my recollections...

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Ok well made post...

Unfortunately we all know OSI didn't post every update about game mechanics, this for one is a reason I am not a huge fan of the demo to fall back on.

I think the "all follow" business is great...I for one never remember having to actually use this though, as I stayed in a tight knit area of brit and brit mines unless I needed to go home in which I recalled. As it stands though you can not run from E brit bank to W brit bank without your mount ending up being fatigued, this seems like something that definitely would have stuck in people's memory banks if this was the case. The same with creating a brand new crit with 10 dex and not even being able to run to the bank from the inn of Brit.

There was most definitely a change in the time frame of demo to T2A if this is how it was on the demo, though finding documentation is highly unlikely and this may be one that Derrick needs to go off of his own memory or players to get it to about what it was.

Again, I agree a change needed to be made but it seems too drastic on TC.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Why don't you try testing some of these situations using a 56k connection?

I think this is actually the main problem behind the discrepencies among most people. The more that I continue thinking about my fastwalk days the more this stamina decay seems to be looking precisely accurate. I remember the day that fastwalk was fixed and having to shift back to my slow 56k chugging speed on a mount. The amount of "all follows me" that had to be used was such a drastic shift it was simply insane... There are specific situations that I recall such as running from BK room chasing a guy and making it almost or to the pit room in Deceit on level 4 having to use the refresh bug to continue. I have yet to test this but it will be interesting to see.

The majority of Ultima Online players didn't get to experience the fast speeds before it was fixed in '00.

I wouldn't doubt it at all that this is the major problem behind this issue.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Again, I agree a change needed to be made but it seems too drastic on TC.
It is too drastic on TC. The stam loss should be around 3 times less than how it is now.

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

Fatigued Mounts cost me my life several times back in the day, so it is era accurate....just keep in mind that Nightmares were celebrated for their stamina ability.....and nobody on a horse could keep up with a Nightmare.....

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

I would also like to point out that people almost always kept apples or pears in their backpacks for this reason. And while it was frustrating to have to dismount and feed your pet....many players would walk around on horseback saving their pets stamina for when they would need it, and they would give their mounts food periodically to ensure that its stamina would stay high.

This was great for the economy, keeping food vendors important, and should have never been taken out of the game.