Patch 118 Preview: House/boat item visibility

News and Announcements
Derrick

Patch 118 Preview: House/boat item visibility

Post by Derrick »

We've had this feature on the shard before (Patch 108), but there were some issues with it and we had to pull it.

It's back corrected and available for preview
  • Items in houses and boats are not sent to client until the house is entered.
    • OSI Patch Mar 28 1999: "A major optimization was done to houses and boats. You will no longer receive the objects that are on or in houses and boats until you step on them."
This feature is live on our test center:
Server: test.uosecondage.com
Port: 2593
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Downs

Re: Patch 118 Preview: House/boat item visibility

Post by Downs »

bye bye roadkills t2a runes library and easy access to vendors from brit boats

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Downs wrote:bye bye roadkills t2a runes library and easy access to vendors from brit boats
Oh lord! Now i actually have to enter the house to use some other persons hard work!

Krats

Post by Krats »

I can see it now, Towns are littered with runes to ranom vendor houses and people will start selling runes to vendors (which i havent seen here yet)

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Krats wrote:I can see it now, Towns are littered with runes to ranom vendor houses and people will start selling runes to vendors (which i havent seen here yet)
Maybe selling, but ground trash decays in like 30 min.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I haven't been able to get onto test center for the last 12 hours or so. I can log in, I get to the point where I select the shard, it says Connecting, and then crashes/freezes

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This should be fixed. Thanks for the report.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Downs

Post by Downs »

Sum_Mors wrote:
Downs wrote:bye bye roadkills t2a runes library and easy access to vendors from brit boats
Oh lord! Now i actually have to enter the house to use some other persons hard work!
take it to trash talk retard. im talking about boats. its era accurate tho so im good with it.

question. do ppl show up in houses and on boats without setting foot on them?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Pretty sure they do Downs.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, players, npc's monsters, animals, guildstones, corpses, and anything on the front steps will be visible.

fatmagic

Post by fatmagic »

Just to confirm my understanding of this change -- this means players won't be able to see what is sitting on the deck of any boat we see sitting in rivers/ports, unless we physically step onto the boat - correct?

zzyzx
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by zzyzx »

fatmagic wrote:Just to confirm my understanding of this change -- this means players won't be able to see what is sitting on the deck of any boat we see sitting in rivers/ports, unless we physically step onto the boat - correct?
Derrick wrote:A major optimization was done to houses and boats. You will no longer receive the objects that are on or in houses and boats until you step on them.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

fatmagic wrote:Just to confirm my understanding of this change -- this means players won't be able to see what is sitting on the deck of any boat we see sitting in rivers/ports, unless we physically step onto the boat - correct?
This question made me think... Would this be the end of boat looting? I was never aware of boats becoming 100% secure during the t2a period..

Are we sure this is an accurate change? Im assuming you wouldnt see stacks or items ragardless of z axis?

fatmagic

Post by fatmagic »

zzyzx wrote:
Derrick wrote:A major optimization was done to houses and boats. You will no longer receive the objects that are on or in houses and boats until you step on them.
Yep seems like a dumb question -- but I'm making sure this is true. Because if it is - this makes boats more secure than they were before. And I think once this change kicks in, many people will cry foul when they can't see the recall runes sitting in Brit & other Rivers. Just confirming my thoughts ;)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Hoots wrote:
This question made me think... Would this be the end of boat looting? I was never aware of boats becoming 100% secure during the t2a period..

Are we sure this is an accurate change? I'm assuming you wouldn't see stacks or items regardless of z axis?
This does make boats somewhat more secure, but is 100% osi accurate.

Any piles that are added to or removed from or moved will become visible, and all items will be visible if the ship moves.

In era you could tell what veins someone was boat mining, because those are the only piles or ore you would see if the boat was stationary.

I'm sure this mechanic persists on OSI (EA) to this day.