Proposed changes to Tamed creatures

News and Announcements
Derrick

Re: Proposed changes to Tamed creatures

Post by Derrick »

platy wrote:i think this should be tested more instead of diving in.. seems tamers got a major nerf here, although accurate it seems bugged and makes it tuff for tamers to actually keep pets seeing as how they turn on each other after five commands
This has been up on a test shard for 4 days.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

platy wrote:anyways with a high chance of pets turning on each other i doubt you'll ever see a tamer in guards.. seems like a nice way to get guardwacked and lose drags ;p
Not so much of a problem with dragons, but for wyrms yes. What you're seeing the effects of is the mass curse spell. Pets will not turn on you for lack of loyatly, and will not attack you even if released (unless you are red)

alatar

Post by alatar »

how often can we expect the wyrm to cast mass curse? i see it is listed as a "rare" occurance.. although to me it seems like a simple "all stop" should take care of it.. if you don't know how to control your pets then get off your tamer..

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

alatar wrote:how often can we expect the wyrm to cast mass curse? i see it is listed as a "rare" occurance..
Right now, anytime a higher level casting pet would have cast curse, he's now casting mass-curse. We are going to tweak some issues that have been raised soon. This was on the test shard for so long in the hopes that people would not be surprised by anything when it went live.

platy

Post by platy »

alatar wrote:if you don't know how to control your pets then get off your tamer..
i assume u havent tried anything with a WW in your arsenal?

its far from a "rare occurance" and all stop isn't as effective as you think unfortunately

they flag you everytime they fight a monster.. i said you'd get wacked cuz i'd assume having a WW along with anything else it would cast a field spell and get wacked along with owner.. unless guilded maybe it'll go green?

alatar

Post by alatar »

platy wrote:
alatar wrote:unless guilded maybe it'll go green?
and platy takes the gold prize..

Lothain

Post by Lothain »

This has not been a major nerf in any sense of the term. It necessitates a few basic changes to one's play-style:

1. Use dragons.
2. Stable any dragons that start casting 7th Circle spells for later us on "special projects."
3. If one of your pets does cast mass curse, use only non-aggressive commands (all follow me, all stay, all stop) until you are back at the stable. Aggressive commands like all kill or all guard will prompt your pet to attack anything in it's aggro list, which will include any other pets that have recently hurt it with mass curse. Also, be aware that 1) fire breath has slightly delayed spell damage, so that you might tell your pets to stay, they'll stop fighting, then one will take the firebreath damage and start fighting again; and 2) that any dmg taken from poison after being told to "stay" will prompt a pet to start fighting again.

Curse happens relatively rarely even with white wyrms after the second patch, but it still adds an element of unpredictability which makes using dragons a wiser choice.

alatar

Post by alatar »

I'm still using 5 wyrms, I have no trouble at all really.. If they happen to mass curse, 2-3 all stops usually does the trick. The difficult part is getting them to stop fighting eachother while fighting a mob, especially the ancient wyrm..