Our Vision, The Lost Patch Notes, and Upcoming changes.

News and Announcements
jackb

Re: Our Vision, The Lost Patch Notes, and Upcoming changes.

Post by jackb »

Hi. Nice shard.

I appreciate you have different crowds to cater to. Im starting back up in UO. I play a melee character and I was reading that you are making it so melee cant effectively hit someone who is running.

The thing though is even though they let the weapon re timer charge while running in 2000 you have to appreciate that things were different before 2000. In the least technology wise, say in 1998 UOs servers werent running as fast, there were lots more people logged into the game, people were on dial up connections and on much worse computers.

Consquently when someone stopped to cast a spell back in 1998 the person stopped for much longer than they do now, also when people were running around with obstacles away from each they were actually stopping along the way because of slower systems and ping back then. So weapons not refreshing while running wasnt a big issue back then.

Now though with lower populations, much faster serverr/connections, much better pings and computers gameplay simply isnt like that anymore. Players run fluidly through the world and only stop for like split seconds to get a fast cast off then continue on. In this type of game play leaving gameplay mechanics like this is just deabilitating to melee characters. Which is the reason why they changed it back in 2000 because things were already getting faster back then.

This isnt a balancing issue although either way is still T2A legal its just a game mechanics issue dealing with faster speeds

So Id like to just add my 2cents that although you might have a crowd supporting one way, I cant play on this shard with melee being the way it is now as thats the type of character I play. Like I said I dont say this to bitch and moan on a free shard, just to let you know there are also dexxers who would like to play too and as it is now its game stopping for a dexxer. Also I highly doubt any mage players would quit the game because recharge timers were changed but you will lose melee players if they are not.

Faust

Post by Faust »

A dexer can easily beat a tank mage if you know how to play one. Connections don't influence combat mechanics that much differently compared to back in '99. When you add fastwalk to it from UOE the "running" and "stopping" situation actually doesn't change much. It is actually the total opposite since you ran at the fastest possible speed with fast walk that being 0 ping. You are just not used to the changes that UOR made to simplify the game that dumbed down pvp.

jackb

Post by jackb »

?
so exactly how is a dexer supposed to kill someone while moving if he isnt allowed to swing his weapon while moving?

man and seriously that everyone used UOE fastwalk back in 99 and had 0 ping excuse is weak. do what you guys want its your shard but dont expect anyone to buy into that load of sht

Faust

Post by Faust »

Do you realize that we are the only pre:uor shard in the history of UO emulation that went up in population instead of down? All other major shards started with a massive amount of clients sometimes in the thousands from day one unlike this shard that started with single to low double digits. We are now the most successful pre:uor shard that is available. This is the case because we strictly abide by our accuracy stance in being the most accurate t2a ever. The reason that shards die is because they stray from this just like OSI did.

Also, you can swing your weapon while moving... However, you can't ELAPSE your combat timer while moving unless you're using archery. If you have a swing available you can swing ALWAYS while moving unless you're using archery.

PS
Any PVPer's that were decent used fastwalk from mid '98 up until it was fixed in early '00.

jackb

Post by jackb »

As stated previously both ways are t2a legal. This has nothing to do with game balancing and everything to do with technical issues making the game unplayable for melee.

things have already been changed on the technical issue side to make the game more accesible. why should this be any different, just because you dont want melee to be more powerful?

in fact even non technical gameplay mechanics have been changed. I heard magic weapon spawns like in Tet fort have been changed so they arent as good as they used to be. Which directly effects the power level of a weapon user. Say if a weapon user is 50% less likely to have a good magic weapon to use and thus is doing less damage, it would be like mage spells being 50% more likely to be resisted... Which I guaruntee you would protest.

but disregarding the aforementioned, like I said build the shard how you want just dont come at me with that "it will ruin t2a legality" as BOTH ways are t2a legal and dont come at with me absurd l33t comments about how this didnt effect people who used UOA fastwalk in 98 and how "every good PvPer used UOA fastwalk until it was fixxed in 2000"... which in addition to being absurd, do you not see the coincidence in weapon timer recharges being fixxed at the same time they fixxed fastwalk?

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

am I the only one wondering why he has only 1 post still?

jackb

Post by jackb »

also dont know why no one is pointing out both ways arent T2A legal. I was wrong April 2000 is UOR.

still this should be viewed as a hardware fix not a era balancing fix

Faust

Post by Faust »

Kaivan pretty much clears this entire post up in your other post about the same topic.

jackb

Post by jackb »

funny I was thinking the same thing about Senses reply in the other thread. Lets take this debate to the other thread so we dont have to keep bouncing back and forth.