Player Companion Program

News and Announcements
Derrick

Player Companion Program

Post by Derrick »

We have long spoken about the possible introduction of a OSI style "Companion" program into UO Second Age. We have begun some of the steps towards making this possible, and the plan is to do away with Counselors entirely and open up a new highly restricted Player Companion program with which the experience of the playerbase of Second Age can be tapped to help get new players oriented and provide some instruction and guidance to people who may be new to Ultima Online altogether.

I'm unable to gauge the full potential interest that our players may have in participation in a program such as this, but will say that this will initially be a highly supervised experiment and enormous restrictions have been put in place to ensure that the potential for abuse is minimal to non existent.

The capabilities of Companions will be very similar to that of ghosts and will have minimal ability to physically interact with the world. They will be able to provide guidance and answer questions, but not able to respond to bug or stuck player/item issues. They will have the ability to respond to pages about general gameplay questions and may visit with new players on their first day or two on the shard.

Players who are interested in participating in the companion program may contact either Maahes or I via forums or IRC, but this entire program is very preliminary and experimental. Anyone invited to take part in it will be selected based on numerous factors and there will be very few initially. Depending on the amount of interest in the program we may not be able to respond right away.

I understand there may be some objection to this program and I look forward to listening to and addressing your concerns. To a large extent the rationale behind this program is that no one knows this shard better than the players that play it. This program is a way for players to provide help and advice from a player perspective in a way that staff are often unable to do, and in a way that is true to the OSI T2A era.

Blackraven

Re: Player Companion Program

Post by Blackraven »

Who better to help people then the people who have experienced problems,questions,and concerns them selves.

I think it's a marvelous idea.

Ralina

Post by Ralina »

i have to agree with the above post.....i think its a Great idea !

Anthae

Post by Anthae »

I think it's a great idea too. As a new player that has never played the game before I currently really don't have any idea where to start or how to do anything.

I think I've only been on for about 10 minutes and I've mostly just been trying to work out how to move around and see my skills and stuff like that whilst trying to get away from the thieves that seem to be drawn to my pack like bees to honey *grin* I guess the sight of someone looking rather lost and staggering about the place a few steps at a time is a pretty tempting target though ;)

Anyway, I've logged off for now so I can read the forums which I'm sure will help.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Welcome to Second Age!

This program really is targeted at people that are trying to get a grasp of the game. This program probably will be a few days before it's online, but we do have staff online. If you really get hung up on something, use the Help button on your paper doll and hopefully someone will be available to assist.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

The companion program sounds great. I'm sure there are plenty of noobs who join that could use some guidance & wisdom in the T2A ways. Hope to see it running soon!

dazedman

Post by dazedman »

This is a great idea! I wouldn't mind helping test the process and then help in the live server.

Milford Cubicle
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Milford Cubicle »

Wouldn't also adding the era-accurate (young) player status to the shard be helpful as well?

Deadiam

Post by Deadiam »

Milford Cubicle wrote:Wouldn't also adding the era-accurate (young) player status to the shard be helpful as well?
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3282

That has already been discussed, doubtful it will happen.

aXe

Post by aXe »

I've always loved helping new players in IRC and in game. I would actually enjoy doing this.

TwoTon

Post by TwoTon »

Derrick wrote:We have long spoken about the possible introduction of a OSI style "Companion" program into UO Second Age. We have begun some of the steps towards making this possible, and the plan is to do away with Counselors entirely and open up a new highly restricted Player Companion program with which the experience of the playerbase of Second Age can be tapped to help get new players oriented and provide some instruction and guidance to people who may be new to Ultima Online altogether.

I'm unable to gauge the full potential interest that our players may have in participation in a program such as this, but will say that this will initially be a highly supervised experiment and enormous restrictions have been put in place to ensure that the potential for abuse is minimal to non existent.

The capabilities of Companions will be very similar to that of ghosts and will have minimal ability to physically interact with the world. They will be able to provide guidance and answer questions, but not able to respond to bug or stuck player/item issues. They will have the ability to respond to pages about general gameplay questions and may visit with new players on their first day or two on the shard.

Players who are interested in participating in the companion program may contact either Maahes or I via forums or IRC, but this entire program is very preliminary and experimental. Anyone invited to take part in it will be selected based on numerous factors and there will be very few initially. Depending on the amount of interest in the program we may not be able to respond right away.

I understand there may be some objection to this program and I look forward to listening to and addressing your concerns. To a large extent the rationale behind this program is that no one knows this shard better than the players that play it. This program is a way for players to provide help and advice from a player perspective in a way that staff are often unable to do, and in a way that is true to the OSI T2A era.

im super interested, which is why i have the largest guild of newbs!! no offense to my guild :D

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Awesome idea, although I think the selection process should be well thought out.

IMO I don't think any pvper should really be one, I'm not sure of the privileges they get but I'm sure they can walk around the world unseen, snooping on whatever...just a thought.

Ezp
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Ezp »

Hemperor wrote:Awesome idea, although I think the selection process should be well thought out.

IMO I don't think any pvper should really be one, I'm not sure of the privileges they get but I'm sure they can walk around the world unseen, snooping on whatever...just a thought.
Derrick has a very detailed description laid out of what they can or can't do. It's not final but what I can say is, they'll be similar to a ghost. No teleporting to players "Unless Paged" or teleporting to different locations. Won't have the ability to loot or pickup items or open locked doors.
This program is well thought out and will be highly monitored by the staff. Its going to be a great system to improve the population imo.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

ill help be a ghost friend, weekday mornings is good time

Angelsbreath
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Angelsbreath »

The companion program, I have to say after nearly is it 10 years now, Omg old age lol, well I hate to say this but totaly NO! for me its about learing as we do in life , its not about the begining or the end , but the jerny we take from A -to -B. ATM we have a very special thing, if its not broke why fix it. Unless its felt we are losing out on new players or the shard is dying.
Perhaps we need to tweek 1 or 2 things to help keep the base we have and invite more players as in (hey no hate mail lol)
1/ bless rune books- why ok becouse players are to scared to lose them via pks looters / not been able to get back to there bodys in time etc, / in short we have a transport problem I.E who uses the under ground trains affter midnight !!!
2/ this will get me banned *joke* ok listen its a good idea- We lack atm a good trading system, I.e put a vendor out and get pk,d or robed ever other day ,i know what your going to say HEY thats the way it was before, ok i know but that was OSI - Mega player base Blue vs red 90%- 10% / this does not apply here we need a safe way or zone to trade (note also hepfull for player with a red char )
In short we now have a transport system Ake we all make more gold/ buy more goods /in a safe enviroment.

note grammer (dislexick)
BE safe gods speed
Lara of Yew
xxx