Stamina Loss and Swing TImer

News and Announcements
Derrick

Stamina Loss and Swing TImer

Post by Derrick »

We're finally ready to test the changes aluded to in the "Our Vision, The Lost Patch Notes, and Upcoming changes." post.

We've set up a test server so that players may test and give feedback on these changes
Server: test.uosecondage.com
Port: 2593
  • Archery will have a one second delayed damage
  • Mounts will lose stamina while running, you will receive a warning when their stamina is low
  • Mounts will not be able to move if out of stamina, you may feed a mount like any pet to restore stamina.
  • Players will lose stamina when running
  • Players will be able to walk at one stamina, but will not be able to run until 5% stamina
  • You will lose stamina fast if you try to run when slightly overloaded, you may still walk when slightly overloaded.
  • The cool-down timer between weapon swings will now only advance if you are standing still.

The following patch notes are applicable to some of the changes described above:
Dec 16, 1997
"Arrows now inflict the damage one second after the arrow is launched, instead of when the attack is launched."

Apr 28 2000: (Note, this is a UO:R change that documents a change to combat that was within T2A and prior)
"Players using melee weapons in combat will now hold their swing until their target is in range. Additionally, the timer that determines melee weapon swing times (combat timer) will now advance as the player is moving. Thus, melee weapon users will no longer be required to stop moving before swinging."
Additions to test patch (9/24/2008):
  • Spell recast delay of 0.5 secs, down from 0.75 and applied to interupted spells too (was 0.2 secs)
  • Spell animation timings corrected
  • ExplosionSpell delay down to 2.0 seconds from 2.5 seconds

venox

Re: Stamina Loss and Swing TImer

Post by venox »

"The cool-down timer between weapon swings will now only advance if you are standing still."
ack!!!!!!!!!
this hardly affects tank mages, cause they stand still when they cast spells anyhow but it does dexxers!

the archery timer cripples the dexxer a bit too but i can understand that one!

also will arming purples reveal you?, i guess it will!

ack is all i have to say!

but i like the sound of the stamina changes.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

venox wrote:the archery timer cripples the dexxer a bit too but i can understand that one!
The delayed damage on the bows dosn't slow down your next swing time, it only delays the damage after you fire, much like fireball or explode spells.

These changes may effect dexer playstyle much more than mages, although mages will be much more susceptible to the stamina loss since they have so much less of it to start; this is the reason we're grouping there two changes together, one or the other alone would be severly unbalanced.

The best way to answer these questions is to hop on the test shard and check it out :)

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

rough break for dexxers in events now, but field fighting should be funner now. No more speedy red liners!

I'll have to see the delay on archery myself before I commit to dropping it for parry. A heavy xbow shot is my main finisher when opponents back off and gheal

venox

Post by venox »

yeah i understand the timer on archery, "the flight of the arrow time!"

but i think the weapon refresh rate will reduce the use of a heavy ex-bow. due to the amount of time a character has to sit there to swing again, instead of been able to run towards target and swing...

plus running after someone will be harder too hit because your weapon may not be refeshed as yet, but i suppose this is where stamina loss comes into play.

Zim

Post by Zim »

So if Im chasing someone with a katana, and hit them I cant hit them again till I stop? So they just get away?

Imp

Post by Imp »

Maybe it is time to develop more wise tactics, then just click and follow.

+1 to swing timer change

venox

Post by venox »

Zim wrote:So if Im chasing someone with a katana, and hit them I cant hit them again till I stop? So they just get away?
if they have more stamina than you yes!!!

this change will affect the slower weapons more greatly however. because they will be much harder to 'reset'.

Q: if you stop for half of the timer, will the timer elapse for half the timer. so you could theoretically take lots of mirco stops? or will it reset and you have to do the timer again.

sorry i havent had time to test the server, i am going away this week end.

venox

Post by venox »

ok i have an extra half hr b4 i have to go so i played around with it.

i struggled to notice stam loss on a horse, i was running for ages, well it seemed like ages. til i got bored. i probable need 1 extra lap of britian bank.

stam loss for character on foot is about 1 every 3-4seconds and regains at about every 6seconds.

and i suspect from my brief encounter that my previous question in last post is correct.

thus with the fact than when casing player we all run into objects/turn have glimpses of lag we will elapse time my default as we run!

the archery timer is kinda fun!!! but it could possible allow a heal to go off!

i had better run now.
i think this change will be alright!

Imp

Post by Imp »

Confirming no stamina loss for a mount - run all way from Brit to Skara and back.
Just kept running. No messages, nothing.

For a 25 DEX person on foot stamina loss on run is acceptable, but looks like unmounted people in the field are now at even greater disadvantage.

Visual effect on priming an explo potion does exist.

Archery delayed damage is ok, but tactics "run->stop to aim and shoot->run" is harder to use now.

~|~Damaja
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ~|~Damaja »

nice. now after the recov delay for fizzles for spells and we are laughing. Looks good derrick. Can't believe you actually got it done :) well yes I can .....

Dashiva

Post by Dashiva »

Is it just me, or do these sound completely contradictory?
Derrick wrote: The cool-down timer between weapon swings will now only advance if you are standing still.

"Players using melee weapons in combat will now hold their swing until their target is in range. Additionally, the timer that determines melee weapon swing times (combat timer) will now advance as the player is moving. Thus, melee weapon users will no longer be required to stop moving before swinging."
OSI made it so you could move and swing, and we are doing the opposite?

Dashiva

Post by Dashiva »

Oh, it was a UO:R change. I see...
The stamina changes I applaud. And though the swingtimer is era accurate, I don't condone the change. This severely limits the use of anything under an attack speed of 30.

alatar

Post by alatar »

the new swing timer ruleset makes pvp half as fast (slow) as it already was..

Coffee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Coffee »

After a bunch of dueling on the test server (both 1v1 and 2v2), I don't see this as changing things that much. At least as far as the tank mage is concerned. This could be because due to my personal playstyle -- I don't know. Regardless, it seems a fairly mild change. Most of us aren't running around non-stop during a fight anyway.

Halberds are still plenty effective, and yes, you can still swing while running so long as your timer is ready.

The only thing I could imagine this affecting field-wise is PKing, or just runners in general. May be a bit hard to gun people down if you miss your hit, but then again that's what wands and pots are for. Also, those brief pauses when rounding corners or swinging by trees can add up fairly quickly.

Stam loss while running doesn't seem that drastic until you are < 10% hp. Large hits/combos seem to also cause a considerable chunk of stam loss.

As far as fight lengths go, it didn't seem like things were going at 1/2 speed to me... Maybe I'm just slow in general though :D