Stamina Loss and Swing TImer

News and Announcements
Hernando_Kortez

Re: Stamina Loss and Swing TImer

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

I have been on TC and dueled a lot to test these changes. I'm not sure why people don't like them because pvp seems to still work fine to me. Sure you need to rethink your tactics a little but many of the same things seem to work. We probably won't see the full effects of these changes until they are published (which I hope will happen soon).

If the changes are being made from documented evidence then they should be going in because the shards remit is to be T2A accurate. As soon as the staff here start forgetting that remit and listening to players telling them what to do the shard will lose all integrity. If some people quit over the changes so be it, you cant please everyone all of the time and the shard population seems to be doing just fine.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

In terms of the swing-timer changes, I just hope that the words of the patch haven't been misconstrued. They are ambiguous words.

UO:R made it so, depending on your dexterity, the swing would begin at the start of the animation and if your opponent moved the swing would be invalid. The length of time standing next to a target decreased with dexterity- this was another way the 25 dex on a mage became useless because the hally would not hit.

I am just wondering, on a pragmatic level, what the changes to the swing timer mean?

Milford Cubicle
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Milford Cubicle »

Mens Rea wrote:In terms of the swing-timer changes, I just hope that the words of the patch haven't been misconstrued. They are ambiguous words.

UO:R made it so, depending on your dexterity, the swing would begin at the start of the animation and if your opponent moved the swing would be invalid. The length of time standing next to a target decreased with dexterity- this was another way the 25 dex on a mage became useless because the hally would not hit.

I am just wondering, on a pragmatic level, what the changes to the swing timer mean?
The changes to the swing timer mean that since there is a time between swings, that is the swing timer, not the actual swinging of the weapon itself. The swing timer will be refreshed during pauses (big or minute in size) so that when it is refreshed you can hit again. I know what you're talking about with the delayed hit, but that's not what is happening here.

venox

Post by venox »

another Q:
this time in regards to stam loss and horses.
does been on a horse with 25dex as opposed 100dex mean you cant travel as far. or does the horse make all players the same?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The horse when running loses stamina at a much slower rate that a player on NPC on foot. The player will lose a little stamina when the horse is running, but it is negligible.

platy

Post by platy »

Damaja you do know that patches made to t2a were made for the betterment of the community right? Your acting like OSI/EA did NOTHING to benefit the game while we played- simply not true.
Your telling all of us that we are now tainted by the "other" t2a shards that we've played: i've played two: one was OSI's original t2a Catskills, the other was Necessary Evil (which did the opposite of this shard: took the FUN PVP patches and implemented them in).. I like accuracy but for God Sakes there CAN be a limit.. the mechanics are fine/have been fine for months.. take it from me, (200+days) take it from alatar (200+days) take it from bomb (200+) days..

It's people like you Damaja who are the ones who "just don't get it"... The REST of us just want to play a consistent game which won't change every fucking week...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I certainly understand the frustration here. For what it's worth, this will be the last major change to combat. Where I'm at with this is that if we don't do it, and do it now, no one will ever do it. I wish we could have gotten this in a lot sooner than we have, but tbh it is a pretty major change to the way combat is coded and was a lot of work.

platy

Post by platy »

Yea, sorry Derrick: I didn't want to hop into this thread and start flamings.. I am just tired of logging in NOT to have fun: but to make sure I don't fall off the PVP grid ...

I stated already I don't hate the patch.. and tbh if it's accurate i feel that the staff should implement the patch regardless of what the population thinks

I just feel like we haven't really learned anything from the demise of the original OSI/EA t2a shards: there is simply not enough for someone to do in a t2a shard (especially if they strive for 100% accuracy- because the game itself was barely developed back then) Hence I feel like the PVP should be left alone (maybe even left alone ten patches ago) so that we can get some actual things to do here..

dont forget OSI ruined UO with one patch in the later years: pls don't ruin uosa with one of the crappy patches from the early years D:

Morbent Fel

Post by Morbent Fel »

Derrick wrote:We're finally ready to test the changes aluded to in the "Our Vision, The Lost Patch Notes, and Upcoming changes." post.

We've set up a test server so that players may test and give feedback on these changes
Server: test.uosecondage.com
Port: 2593
  • Archery will have a one second delayed damage
  • The cool-down timer between weapon swings will now only advance if you are standing still.
[/quote]Def, not looking forward to these two. hehe

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I hear what you're saying and we intend to do a lot of interesting in game stuff to help fill in the boring periods, but I really think it's important to get these changes made, if they are going to be made, as early as possible.

~|~Damaja
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ~|~Damaja »

platy wrote:Damaja you do know that patches made to t2a were made for the betterment of the community right? Your acting like OSI/EA did NOTHING to benefit the game while we played- simply not true.
Your telling all of us that we are now tainted by the "other" t2a shards that we've played: i've played two: one was OSI's original t2a Catskills, the other was Necessary Evil (which did the opposite of this shard: took the FUN PVP patches and implemented them in).. I like accuracy but for God Sakes there CAN be a limit.. the mechanics are fine/have been fine for months.. take it from me, (200+days) take it from alatar (200+days) take it from bomb (200+) days..

It's people like you Damaja who are the ones who "just don't get it"... The REST of us just want to play a consistent game which won't change every fucking week...
This shard is a t2a server... hence nothing after t2a is put in. Nothing after t2a bettered the community, It ruined it. That is the whole point of this shard. to relive the t2a era. Including the real pvp experience. So why the resistance to making it the way it really was? why? answer that. We are doing it for everthign else why not with combat? It worked great back then and that is why I play here now. To play that experience again right down to the last detail. Why stop half way because it was like that for the first 2 months of this server's existance. It was only like that becuase the proper info wasnt available. Derrick knew it wasn't right along with a bunch of others including myself. I honestly just dont understand the resistance to this at all. Nothing that gets changed should come to you as a surprise. If it was in t2a you'll eventually have it here. For T2a to strive it needs to be as close as possible to the real thing as it will let you. If you have the documentation why not do it?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i think a reason this server has done so well and is doing so well is that it actually does have a goal - accuracy. i dont think ive ever been on a server that has had a goal tha tthey can state, which means the server just ends up bending to the will of the loudest most obnoxious people and ultimately loses any credibility or trust players had in the staff and the server falls apart. knowing that the staff isnt going to bend to peoples own person 'wants' because they have that goal does a lot to establish credibility and trust in the staff.

Berginyon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Berginyon »

Well said, Blackfoot!

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

BlackFoot wrote:i think a reason this server has done so well and is doing so well is that it actually does have a goal - accuracy. i dont think ive ever been on a server that has had a goal tha tthey can state, which means the server just ends up bending to the will of the loudest most obnoxious people and ultimately loses any credibility or trust players had in the staff and the server falls apart. knowing that the staff isnt going to bend to peoples own person 'wants' because they have that goal does a lot to establish credibility and trust in the staff.
off topic?

staff here has never bent over for anyone, not even being questioned...

anyways derrick you said this was the last patch for pvp, does this mean your not considering
the spell delay changes? or was that part of this patch?

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re:Swing TImer - DOUBLE HALLY HIT + two timers

Post by malice-tg »

I finally was able to test this out.

This patch is accurate BUT it is missing a whole aspect / bug that made it so the timer really only affected dexers. The bug was one of the main reasons OSI patched out precasting but it is what made the era so fun!

Anyone remember "double" weapon hits and specifically "double" hally hits?

This was made possible because there was a "bug" in game for a long time ( called precasting) which enabled you to reset weapon timer virtually infinitely by casting.

while at the SAME TIME there was the resetting timer we have on the test center now that only advanced while standing still.

so what does this mean?

You could cast harm > hally swing > harm > hally swing >weaken> hally swing > during a fight with no delays.

It also meant that if you were patient and held a swing tabbing and other difficult methods you could hit twice with your halberd with one animation. This was a deadly attack, difficult to predict and slow. Usually it was an accidental and fortunate occurance.

This bug was NOT in the patch notes because OSI had a policy to not specifically spell out bugs in patch notes for some fear of abuse. It however is proof that there was in fact two weapon timers at play simultaneously.

currently I have only anecdotal evidence but maybe someone can reply with a supporting statement?

One of the main reasons PVP'ers had to get UOA was because UOA arm/disarm was much faster than UO clients slow addition for arm /disarm. you needed the fast disarm / arm to effectively PVP in the field and duels because of the fast reset swing from spells. One of the first things I noticed when I cam here was the hally didnt reset during some of my combos i had macros for from OSI server.

I think while we have an opportunity to test the patch we should put in this wrinkle and see how people like it!