The Next Patch Info

News and Announcements
Derrick

Re: The Next Patch Info

Post by Derrick »

Barring any problems found on test center, tommorrow morning.

Slade

Post by Slade »

niqeo wrote:
Derrick wrote:This is the proposed final list of changes that will be applied in the "Last Big Combat Patch"
[*]Cap of 5000 gold for bounties
[*]Long Term Murder counts enabled. Long term counts do not count towrds stat loss and only cause you to be red, they will decay per 40 hours of game play.

Why are we messing with this? This just allows the unskilled player to become a greifer for 90% of their day instead of on occasion. This is why I love this server and HATE divinity. Divinity has a bunch of newbie wannabe PKs and they can kill the new players over and over while trying to enjoy and figure out all the good aspects of the server. Besides I thought being a Bad @ss Red PK was a priveledge and there honestly during this era was not a "Majority" thing. I dont recall running around seeing reds on almost every screen everywhere i went during this era (except my brother). I will be leaving along with everyone i play with (only about 10 at the moment) when or if this is implimented.

I don't think you understand the changes.

This will effectively eliminate the douchebag blue PK's. Unless YOU were one of the idiots who cherrypick people as a blue PK, in which case I hope you diagf.

alatar

Post by alatar »

is there going to be a murder count revert, or just current counts convert into long terms & start with 0 short term..?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

alatar wrote:is there going to be a murder count revert, or just current counts convert into long terms & start with 0 short term..?
We haven't come to a decision on this yet, but there's still a few hours left.

Slade

Post by Slade »

Derrick wrote:
alatar wrote:is there going to be a murder count revert, or just current counts convert into long terms & start with 0 short term..?
We haven't come to a decision on this yet, but there's still a few hours left.

I see no reason to give current murderers a pass.

Though perhaps a compromise is in order. Maybe take their current short term count > 5, divide it by 5 and give that many long terms(MINIMUM of 5), but transfer the full current murder count to new short-term counts.

If you have 10 murders... you now have 10 shorts, 5 longs.

If you have 120 murders, you now have 120 shorts and 24 longs.

If you have 5 murders, you get 5 shorts and 5 longs.

If you have 2 murders, you get 2 shorts and 2 longs.

This will keep people currently murderers in statloss right where they were beforehand with no real effect on them. But it will also correctly label the people who were playing the blue/red pingpong game as murderers, which they are.

Everyone who is currently red will stay red, and those who wish to be blue will have to wait minimum 40 hours to do so. Reminding them what is in store if they play the blue PK game without wanting to suffer the consequences of their actions.

As far as the code goes... you'll have to make it so murderer status checks both short and long term counts for now, since they'll be out of whack during the change. Someone with 30 murders today will wind up having 20 short term counts when their long count drops to 4, so you'll need to make sure they are still properly labeled as red with statloss, even though their long term counter would indicate the opposite.

Also remember, adding a new kill to your counters RESETS the timer. If you were 0/5 with only 20 minutes to go before you hit 0/4 and went blue... if you killed someone you'd go to 1/6 with FULL a FULL 40 hour timer again on your long term counts (80 hours to blue).

niqeo

Post by niqeo »

Derrick wrote: This isn't a removal of stat loss, this is the addition of a long term counter. There's no change to the short term 8 hour counter or to stat loss.
So if I slay a red character such as wylan I can GARAUNTEE he will have statloss being he has many kills?

alatar

Post by alatar »

niqeo wrote:
Derrick wrote: This isn't a removal of stat loss, this is the addition of a long term counter. There's no change to the short term 8 hour counter or to stat loss.
So if I slay a red character such as wylan I can GARAUNTEE he will have statloss being he has many kills?
only if they have 5+ short term murder counts..

niqeo

Post by niqeo »

alatar wrote:
niqeo wrote:
only if they have 5+ short term murder counts..
Well there goes the "dread lord' system

Slade

Post by Slade »

niqeo wrote:
Well there goes the "dread lord' system
I think you're just having a hard time comprehending the new rule.

You do realize that this is almost no change over the current system, right? The only difference will be the substantial reduction of blue PK's.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Here is a simple clarification.

- Greater than or 5 short term murder counts gives you statloss and makes you red.
- Greater than or 5 long term murder counts makes you red.

Conclusion, long term murder counts has nothing to do with statloss. The only way you take statloss is if you have 5 or more short term murder counts. This is already active and has been active on this shard. The only difference this patch will add is that you are going to be red for a much longer time.
Stratics '99
The biggest change is that there are two separate murder counters kept on each character now: A short term and a long term counter.

The short term count works exactly like everyone is used to. They decay at one per eight hours, and if you have over 5 of them, you are red and you will have stat loss if you res. This short term murder count works exactly the same way the murder counts always have, and does not even effect the long term murder count. If you say outloud "I must consider my sins" you will receive a message that will tell you the current status of your short term murder count only. The responses you can get is:
If you have no short term murder count, and you are not currently red, you will get "Fear not, thou hast not slain the innocent."
If you have been reported, but currently have no short term murder count, you will get "Fear not, thou hast not slain the innocent in some time." (even if you are red from long term counts)
If you have a short term murder count, but it is not enough to result in stat loss (4 counts or below), you will get "Although thou hast slain the innocent, thy deeds shall not bring retribution upon thy return to the living." (even if you are red from long term counts)
If your short term count is over 4, you are liable for stat loss, you will get "If thou should return to the land of the living, the innocent shall wreak havoc upon thy soul."

The long term murder count accumulates exactly the same way as the short term one (if you get reported for murder the counter goes up one). These counts decay at one per 40 hours instead of one per 8 hours. Once you have 5 long term counts, your character will be red, but this counter has nothing to do with stat loss. It only makes your character red. There is no way to know what your long term counter is at unless you keep track of your kills manually. A Counselor or GM cannot tell you what your murder counts are.

Kid Steeze

Post by Kid Steeze »

Man the stam loss is lame.

niqeo

Post by niqeo »

Faust wrote:Here is a simple clarification.

- Greater than or 5 short term murder counts gives you statloss and makes you red.
- Greater than or 5 long term murder counts makes you red.

Conclusion, long term murder counts has nothing to do with statloss. The only way you take statloss is if you have 5 or more short term murder counts. This is already active and has been active on this shard. The only difference this patch will add is that you are going to be red for a much longer time.
Stratics '99
The biggest change is that there are two separate murder counters kept on each character now: A short term and a long term counter.

The short term count works exactly like everyone is used to. They decay at one per eight hours, and if you have over 5 of them, you are red and you will have stat loss if you res. This short term murder count works exactly the same way the murder counts always have, and does not even effect the long term murder count. If you say outloud "I must consider my sins" you will receive a message that will tell you the current status of your short term murder count only. The responses you can get is:
If you have no short term murder count, and you are not currently red, you will get "Fear not, thou hast not slain the innocent."
If you have been reported, but currently have no short term murder count, you will get "Fear not, thou hast not slain the innocent in some time." (even if you are red from long term counts)
If you have a short term murder count, but it is not enough to result in stat loss (4 counts or below), you will get "Although thou hast slain the innocent, thy deeds shall not bring retribution upon thy return to the living." (even if you are red from long term counts)
If your short term count is over 4, you are liable for stat loss, you will get "If thou should return to the land of the living, the innocent shall wreak havoc upon thy soul."

The long term murder count accumulates exactly the same way as the short term one (if you get reported for murder the counter goes up one). These counts decay at one per 40 hours instead of one per 8 hours. Once you have 5 long term counts, your character will be red, but this counter has nothing to do with stat loss. It only makes your character red. There is no way to know what your long term counter is at unless you keep track of your kills manually. A Counselor or GM cannot tell you what your murder counts are.

Oh, you can read? Excellent! Save your breath and think about it:

1) Being RED, wont mean JACK anymore. If you are truly a B@D@SS and you are man enough to go RED, then go RED. If not, stay blue and hide behind your name. This is a pass for the newbies too lame to go red and like to hide behind the blue name. Now they will be able to sport a red name without the STATLOSS. Go to divinity if you want to be a WANNABE seriously....

2) So Now.... Suppose I get a lucky finishing blow on Lord Deacon or Lord Wylan! WAHLAH HAHA take ur STATLOSS Medicine! Oh wait!.....Having 100 kills doesn't mean squat because I can't turn your head in for 1million gold anymore.. there is a 5k limit... There goes the "bounty system"

What happened to the "If you are a murderer, you will be punished because karma will catch up". Do the math, think about it, you decide...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I do now atleast understand the argument your making, but it's kind of a day late, this the zero hour on a change that has been in discussion for months now.

Here is one of the many many threads that there have been on this topic:
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... w=viewpoll

You make a good point on the bounty system, the current murder system does protect the bounties somewhat. I'm open to recomendations on what can be done about this.

alatar

Post by alatar »

I think there should be no limit on bounties.. Why would you implement this?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Clarification on the bounty limit. 5k will be the max a person can post on a bounty for a single kill. There is no limit on how high a murderers bounty can grow.

This is done because of many instances in which a new player can dumped his entire bank account on a bounty due to a misunderstanding of the system. I doubt this limit will often be reached except by accident.

I quote myself:
Derrick wrote:You make a good point on the bounty system, the current murder system does protect the bounties somewhat. I'm open to recomendations on what can be done about this.
I missed the point being made on the bounty complaint, this was a misunderstanding of the proposed change.