Server Upgrade

News and Announcements
Derrick

Server Upgrade

Post by Derrick »

A new server is currently being built for Second Age. The decision to upgrade immediately was made yesterday due to memory constraints imposed by an upcoming core upgrade which was patched on to Second Age yesterday morning, and reverted late last night; partially due to lack of memory which is already at the maximum amount installable on our current server.

A new server is really called for outside of this patch due to the growth of memory and increasing save times. We have ordered hardware which we expect will dramatically cut save times, and provide space to grow for some time into the future.

With this upgrade does come cost, Second Age is primarily supported by selfless player donations from those who can afford to do so. A subscription of as little as $5/month does make a difference. If you have considered donating or subscribing to Second Age you can do so at http://www.uosecondage.com/Donate Everything is very appreciated. There is no in game reward for financial contributions but please include your forum name if you do make a contribution, as we disable the in-message advertisements on these forums for donors and subscribers.

Whether you make a financial donation or not, everyone who participates in this community are valued contributors to Second Age. Thanks to everyone for their support.

We expect to have the new server provisioned by tonight and will begin transition over the weekend with a switch over on maybe Monday. Again, the patch that was causing troubles and increased hardware requirements was reverted last night so Second Age is as stable is it's ever been at this time.

For more info on last nights troubles: Subject: Shard Issues today
And other comments on what this patch has entailed: Subject: Info on this mornings Patch -> Revert
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

PHLiNX
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Server Upgrade

Post by PHLiNX »

Awesome, thanks a lot for the effords you're putting into this, again!

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Lump sum of dough commin' your way soon D man. Keep up the awesome work, and thanks for supporting our UO addictions. :D

avpr87

Post by avpr87 »

good work derrick hopefully my financial constraints will be lifted soon enough and i will donate asap

BenBrawl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BenBrawl »

Thanks for all the hardwork to fill our addiction!!

Donation sent!

Seth001
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Seth001 »

Thank you for bringing UO back into my life. I have missed it greatly :) Donation sent!.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks everyone, there's been a great reponse since this post.
I'm currently in the process of configuring the new server.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Kander
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kander »

keep up the good work boss!

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Derrick, safe to say I think you should probably put a "UOSA Subscriber!" badge under your forum name. And the gold pile should be about 117 times the size of everyone else's.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Derrick must be rich in rl.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm hesitant to make comments on how much this has cost me over the years. My wife might read this.

We are really blessed to have such a supportive group here. Generally the donations and other revenue do cover shard expenses, but when there are unexpected expenses like a server upgrade it's not usually funded. I try not to mention donations too much, and usually only do when there is a shortfall or something unexpected. In addition to the increase in monthly costs, we currently have an additional server online which will double our hosting costs this month. Again, thanks to everyone who has responded to this, and to all the past donors and subscribers.

Another way to support the shard and help me clean up the office a little bit at the same time would be to buy a shirt. We don't bring in much on these, and have only ever sold two, and to the same person: http://www.uosecondage.com/Shop shipping is included :)

Real news:
I'm currently planning on switching over to the new server in the morning. The old server should forward to the new so there shouldn't be any DNS issues like there has been in the past.

There may be some additional downtime in the morning after restart.

This will be both a server switch and a patch, so please report any unusual issues immediately, preferably via in-game page or IRC.

Thanks!

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

Derrick wrote:Another way to support the shard and help me clean up the office a little bit at the same time would be to buy a shirt. We don't bring in much on these, and have only ever sold two, and to the same person:
Hahahaa great action shot of Pristiq!

When we're not on the verge of bankruptcy, I'm planning on sending a large check your way. Also, I am trying my damndest to spit out a kid for the sole purpose of putting it in one of the "I R NEW" onesies.

Seth001
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Seth001 »

SJane3384 wrote:
Derrick wrote:Another way to support the shard and help me clean up the office a little bit at the same time would be to buy a shirt. We don't bring in much on these, and have only ever sold two, and to the same person:
Hahahaa great action shot of Pristiq!

When we're not on the verge of bankruptcy, I'm planning on sending a large check your way. Also, I am trying my damndest to spit out a kid for the sole purpose of putting it in one of the "I R NEW" onesies.
I need to buy one of those shirts for my son.

RyleyGrey

Post by RyleyGrey »

On the 25th, when we get paid, my husband and I will both contribute and buy some shirts! That way you get help in 2 ways. We love what you are doing for all of us! Thanks so much!!!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I just ordered the felix I'M SO FRUSTRATED mug. I also have a subscription, but my icon says I'm a donor :P