Network Maintenance alert for May 30-31.

News and Announcements
Derrick

Network Maintenance alert for May 30-31.

Post by Derrick »

There is a scheduled brief network interruption at our data-center on May 31 between the hours of midnight and 5am ET (Late Monday night/Early Tuesday morning)
Please be advised that on May 31st, 2011 at 00:00-05:00 EST, we will be completing our planned ServerBeach Network Upgrades that will provide you with a more robust and scalable network and enable us to better serve your needs.

This maintenance will last approximately 5 hours, during which your server will experience up to 5 minutes of network downtime as your gateway is moved to the alternate distribution routers. Once this is done, we will be configuring the newer routers and you will see brief periods of latency/packet loss as we redirect traffic to the newer systems. This maintenance will ensure that the networking systems are standardized and will allow us to use more supported commands for configuring and investigating issues at the networking level.
I'll bump this again sooner to the date.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Network Maintenance alert for May 30-31.

Post by Chaos »

Thank You Derrick we love you!!!

Chaos
UOSA

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

awesome, does this mean less lagg/packet loss for everyone? lol

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Bump. This is scheduled for Monday night/Tuesday morn.
Psilo wrote:awesome, does this mean less lagg/packet loss for everyone? lol
I'm not sure if this will help with this or not; very few (even worldwide) experience unexpected packet loss or lag to the best of my knowledge; and most of the troubles that are reported are usually a local issue, for example using a wireless network, or other household members downloading torrents or watching netflix.

I read this as more of an infrastructure upgrade at the data center; likely related to IP addressing, DDOS protection, and provisioning. There have been some limitations at Server Beach on how additional IP addresses for a server are provided and routed, so I am happy to hear of this upgrade, although it won't likely improve what has honestly been incredible connectivity at the datacenter itself.

If you or anyone else is having bad packetloss, drop me a line in IRC and I'll try to help.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

bump!

Return to “Shard News”