Proposed changes to spellcasting on test center

News and Announcements
Derrick

Proposed changes to spellcasting on test center

Post by Derrick »

Currently active on test center:
  • All short damage delays are 1.0 seconds, applies to all delayed damage spells except Explosion
  • Spell disruption formula changed and now accounts for the circle of the spell being interrupted. Based on (copy of) the OSI code for disruption.
  • Severely dumbed down monster pathfinding.
  • All NPC's/Monsters can now flee. (We know they didn't all flee, we're working on that part still)
  • Stealing is an aggressive act for the purpose of determining murder.
  • Getting caught and difficulty when Stealing now considers the difficulty of the steal (item weight) And the number of humans that are in your view.
  • You will no longer gain stealing skill on success, only on full or partial failure.
  • Players in the vicinity of an attack will now receive the message "You see X attacking Y"
We have verified that the 1.0 damage delay is correct. It has been verified both on the T2A demo, and on the current Live UO servers.
The spell disruption formula was interpolated from OSI code and we're very much looking forward to feedback on this change.

If you are interested in these proposed changes and would like to provide feedback on them, please log into our test center at:
Server: test.uosecondage.com
Port: 2593

Thanks!

alatar

Re: Proposed changes to spellcasting on test center

Post by alatar »

test.uosecondage.com is loading a very out-dated version of T2A when I load it through razor.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

i played with it this morning. harm doesnt fully disrupt, so is it still damage based?
also theres a huge problem with fizzing 6th circle spells. even when i dont use pots. i literally fized just trying to cast xplosion.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

nm i found why i was fizzing, its set up from a long time ago.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The formula for the spell disruption was changed to be 100% accurate to the formula that was used during t2a. The previous formula was off and didn't take into account on the circle or skill level of the mage that was casting the spell. With this new formula harm has received an increase to it's capacity to disrupt a spell, however it still doesn't disrupt 100% of the time on a 4th circle spell. The lower the circle the lesser chance you have to disrupt the target and the opposite case for the higher of course. Damage is still a factor in the formula.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

sounds great. my magery wasnt gm at the time, and i didnt realize it. maybe i would have disrupted more. also, now the autotab mechanics are set to autodefend whenever damage is dealt right? i see myself tabbing out and as soon as the hally hit swings and hits, i autodefend after damage was dealt right?

Faust

Post by Faust »

That part of auto defending is currently still being worked on. Auto defend isn't suppose to be triggered upon swinging at someone, but only when an aggressive action is performed. Some examples of that is attacking someone, casting an aggressive spell on your opponent, explosion potions, provoking, poison ticks, etc...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The big difference in the interrupts is taking the circle of the spell being interrupted into account. Magery was and will still be a factor, but circle was not. This I believe will account for the discrepancies that have been reported between the system that is currently Liv of UOSA and the player memories of the era.

Circles 6+ are very highly disruptable now. 7th and 8th is virtually always disruptable even at gm magery.

The code is straight from OSI and we're positive at this point it's correct.

I'm really glad that people are getting onto test to play with this. I'd like to get this live as soon as the auto-defend as mentioned above is corrected.

platy

Post by platy »

did some testing, much-MUCH better imho
Any way you could post link to the spells which have 1sec delays? I beleive ebolt and lightning are two of them?
also i've been lagging alot on the TC, and now I can't login at all.. its NBD just wondering if you were aware

Faust

Post by Faust »

Magic arrow, fireball, lightning, mind blast, energy bolt, flamestrike, meteor swarm, chain lightning, and earthquake all has damage delays.

Explosion's damage delay was removed early in '99 because it already had a 2 second delay after it was casted. Harm is the only other spell with no damage delay.

I think you're lagging on TC because it was moved back to Derrick's home network.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, sorry about the lag, that server is a true POS.
I'll bring it up on another PC tonight.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Derrick wrote:The big difference in the interrupts is taking the circle of the spell being interrupted into account. Magery was and will still be a factor, but circle was not. This I believe will account for the discrepancies that have been reported between the system that is currently Liv of UOSA and the player memories of the era.

Circles 6+ are very highly disruptable now. 7th and 8th is virtually always disruptable even at gm magery.

The code is straight from OSI and we're positive at this point it's correct.

I'm really glad that people are getting onto test to play with this. I'd like to get this live as soon as the auto-defend as mentioned above is corrected.
Sweet, that'll make some of us dexxers happy since most of us remember a mage being a moron if he tried to cast ebolt while being hammered on by a kryss ^_^

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The problems with swings causing Auto-Defend have been fixed. What is now live on test center is the final proposed changes.

The following has been added:
  • Getting caught and difficulty when Stealing now considers the difficulty of the steal (item weight) And the number of humans that are in your view.
  • You will no longer gain stealing skill on success, only on full or partial failure.
  • Players in the vicinity of an attack will now receive the message "You see X attacking Y"

Slade

Post by Slade »

Derrick wrote:The problems with swings causing Auto-Defend have been fixed. What is now live on test center is the final proposed changes.

So if I steal from someone, they attack me, and I kill them, I get a murder count? This is pretty retarded imo.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Derrick wrote:The problems with swings causing Auto-Defend have been fixed. What is now live on test center is the final proposed changes.

Seems like we just made it even more difficult for the dwindling thief population. So long to the towny.