Thieving Changes Live On Test.

News and Announcements
Hyder

Re: Thieving Changes Live On Test.

Post by Hyder »

Eh, I wasnt stealing to get a few items... I would steal to go grey and fight... Got way more encounters this way.. Everyone wants to fight the guy who just stoled from him... Even warring everyone I can think of, and going chaos I was fighting about 4x more a day on my thief. That is what im going to miss... now after trying it out... a pure thief would be ok I guess but that was not why I was doing it.. It killed 75% of my fun on the shard. I Sucked so dont think I was griefing.. trust me I didnt win alot.. about 50/50 win loss. I was no Chumbucket. Now I guess im going to have to make a PK to get any excitment.

Oh and did you guys find it fun chasing down the punk who just stoled your stuff and kicking his arse. Now they cant fight back all they do now is run and hide. I feel this killed alot of interaction on the game.. Just my opinion. I know lots hated the thiefs, but you could aways go to the 2nd brit bank and avoid most encounters. I still think it was a bad change. both ways were in this era, so its still T2A. I feel this patch was the start of UOR back in the day. Remember (UOR) the reason most of us stopped playing. Don't mess with a good system. I still love the admins and devs, still the best ever, but they really dropped the ball on this one.

But guess what? I still play everyday cuz this is still the best place to be. Anyways not like anything I say will change it back so time to just move on and make a PK like everyone else.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I really haven't seen a decrease in combat thieves since this patch. It is still a viable template, but it comes in moderation now. If you receive a true success you can kill your victim if they attack you, but if you fail you cannot and will have to wait out the two minute agression timer. If they attack you in your perma grey status you are able to kill them without receiving a count after that timer.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

To a very small extent this was prioritized in implementation due to player reports, but this has been on the task list for 4 to 6 months, it had to be put in for consistency. Like we say on the main page of our website, we're trying to bring the era to you as it was, for good or bad. The only other even feasibly consistent option with this would have been to remove the thieves guild, but I really don't think that's the T2A era that people remember, and would be pre-Feb '99 which is completely in conflict with a slug of other changes that came in patches that month.

Hyder

Post by Hyder »

I played my thief for awhile last night. I think I can live with the changes. Just had to change my style around a bit. I know im perma grey.. Anyway to tell if someone else is without attacking and gettting guard wacked??

Faust

Post by Faust »

If I remember correctly there was a bug for this that was later fixed in UOR. I believe if you attempted to steal from someone that was perma grey it would react the same way as stealing from mobs, guild enemies, pks, criminals, etc... Since they are perma grey they are essentially a perma criminal. Anyone could attempt this and it would let you know if you failed. If the person wasn't perma grey it would simply notify you that you weren't in the thieves guild. I could possibly be remembering this whole issue incorrectly though, but I'm pretty sure that was the bug for this. I do know that there was one though.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, that's correct but I believe it was fixed in '99

Faust

Post by Faust »

January 24th, 2000
You will no longer be able to use the stealing skill to determine if someone is "perma-gray".
Players who are not in the Thieves Guild will not be able to steal from other players at all.

http://update.uo.com/design_146.html

This was the same patch that removed pre casting, implemented item decay in houses and boats, land survery tools, etc...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:January 24th, 2000
You will no longer be able to use the stealing skill to determine if someone is "perma-gray".
Players who are not in the Thieves Guild will not be able to steal from other players at all.

http://update.uo.com/design_146.html

This was the same patch that removed pre casting, implemented item decay in houses and boats, land survery tools, etc...
Nice find. Thanks.

Hill Bill

Post by Hill Bill »

quick question:

are you informed of which result comes up after you steal your item?

is there something to give you a clue when it is alright to fight back if you don't want a murder count?

Faust

Post by Faust »

If the person you stole from shows up blue that means you'll receive a count if you kill them. The only time it is safe is if they show up gray to you. I'm positive that is the case for this.

chongli

Post by chongli »

So if I steal from them and go grey (partial success) and they immediately commit suicide, will they be able to give me a murder count? Or do I have to actually attack them first?

chongli

Post by chongli »

Also, if they attack me (and show up blue while doing so) and I manage to stay alive for 2 minutes (so that I go blue) will they then become flagged as attackable (assuming they keep attacking me)?

venox

Post by venox »

seems simple to me.
if they are blue dont retaliate.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

chongli wrote:So if I steal from them and go grey (partial success) and they immediately commit suicide, will they be able to give me a murder count? Or do I have to actually attack them first?
If you don't swing at them, or if you do swing at them, but they are healed to full before they die, you will not be eligible for a murder count.
chongli wrote:Also, if they attack me (and show up blue while doing so) and I manage to stay alive for 2 minutes (so that I go blue) will they then become flagged as attackable (assuming they keep attacking me)?
If they keep the two minute combat timer alive they will not go grey to you.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

From what i'm reading something does not sound right....

If you stole from someone(and turned any form of gray) and the thief-victim attacked you first and you killed them in self-defense you would not receive a murder count. it did not matter if you double clicked on them or auto attacked as they had aggressed you first, therefore you were safe to beat their ass in.

if you stole from someone and attacked them without them first attacking you then you would receive a murder count.

i don't even play here nor have i ever played here but i played around dec 97 to sometime in '00. i saw this post and felt inclined to register.