Reputation system for forums

News and Announcements
Derrick

Re: Karma/Reputation system for forums

Post by Derrick »

Sir Trammelite wrote: Edit: However, if a moderator gathers up enough negative karma, he is also subject for ban?
As always, thanks!
I'm not sure that there's really a valid fear of responsible forum users being banned unjustly, but the expectation that we have time to sit around babysitting the forums for trolls is misguided, I would find it useful to find some way to moderate the bickering without the "Report Post" option.

Yes, though I wouldn't expect that we would consider this system valid enough to ban regular users but not moderators (or myself for that matter). Of course the usefulness and accuracy of this peer-review system is still yet to be determined.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Sir Trammelite

Post by Sir Trammelite »

You're the man Derrick, thanks for answering the questions.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Sir Trammelite wrote:You're the man Derrick, thanks for answering the questions.
My faith in humanity is boundless.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Derrick wrote:PS: Grats to nightshark for getting the first thumbs up:
karmashark.JPG
lol i haven't even posted since the change and i already have -3

problem with UO is people don't care if you're helpful, they just care whether or not they personally like you

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

Hmm...

Am I the only one that thinks using a forum feature that is completely "Trollable" as a method to try to combat trolls is... ..... ...... silly? Does that really need to be tested? (No)

problem with UO is people don't care if you're helpful, they just care whether or not they personally like you
Nightshark nailed it.

Someone posts up a "Tale of Adventure" that may contain some game play that isn't "unicorns and rainbows"?

ZOMG NEG REP. I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE THAT DON'T PLAY 100% NICE 100% OF THE TIME.

You might as well see if you can disable the "Karma" feature in the trash talk forum. Thumbs down button is going to break in that sub-forum. "QQ QQ I GOT OUT PLAYED QQ QQ NEG REP QQ"

As the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

Border Patrol

Post by Border Patrol »

Vhyx wrote:Hmm...

Am I the only one that thinks using a forum feature that is completely "Trollable" as a method to try to combat trolls is... ..... ...... silly? Does that really need to be tested? (No)

Nightshark nailed it.

Someone posts up a "Tale of Adventure" that may contain some game play that isn't "unicorns and rainbows"?

ZOMG NEG REP. I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE THAT DON'T PLAY 100% NICE 100% OF THE TIME.

You might as well see if you can disable the "Karma" feature in the trash talk forum. Thumbs down button is going to break in that sub-forum. "QQ QQ I GOT OUT PLAYED QQ QQ NEG REP QQ"

As the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

What is wrong with Neg karma if you are playing as a "bad guy" in game and posting as a heel in Adventure Tales? It actually makes sense.

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

Border, if you'd actually read what I wrote you'd of realized that my point was that people are going to use this silly rep thing as a means to carry out personal vendettas. Basically I was agreeing with Nightshark that UO players can be pretty damn petty. In the future I'll refrain from typing out the quickest example that comes to mind in order to illustrate a point.

The real take away is that I find it silly to use a troll friendly system as an experiment to try to weed out trolls.

Anywho, I've given my feedback. I'm out.

Border Patrol

Post by Border Patrol »

Banning individuals based upon the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" system alone seems quite silly anyways. Hopefully it will not be taken too seriously by the staff. All it is going to turn out to be is some sort of popularity contest or a collection of people's opinions of other people and whether or not they seem like a nice person.

The staff already does a good job of handling inappropriate posts as is and many of the forums also have moderators to top it off.

Kind of a cute feature as far as making the forums more interactive but should not be taken too seriously. If you are "worried" about personal vendettas then why even play UO or any multiplayer video games in general? I assume you have never had a pm box full of hatemail or had a guild camp out your house with tons of archer bots before.

Ever heard of Operation Hemperor?

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

I prefer vendettas to be handled in game.

Speaking of PM's...

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

I'm guessing PK's will have the lowest karma, regardless of how good their posting is hehe

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Look at all the children getting butthurt over a thumps up/down button, and a simple karma system on the forums.

Great addition to the forums, for the people who'll actually use it/care.

Everyone else who is butthurt, gtfo.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

i want to be the first dread lord

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Vhyx wrote:Border, if you'd actually read what I wrote you'd of realized that my point was that people are going to use this silly rep thing as a means to carry out personal vendettas. Basically I was agreeing with Nightshark that UO players can be pretty damn petty. In the future I'll refrain from typing out the quickest example that comes to mind in order to illustrate a point.

The real take away is that I find it silly to use a troll friendly system as an experiment to try to weed out trolls.

Anywho, I've given my feedback. I'm out.
lmao i laughed hard and btw i found it amusing someone voted me down already despite all my helpful responses to new players/bugs/client issues and whatever else i have posted so just goes to show its just going to be become a little forum game to vote people down

rwuser

Post by rwuser »

You will get whatever karma ups and down you "deserve". That is the is the beauty of this system.

If you *think* you deserve something, you will most likely not get it because you will be the only person convinced of that.

Karma is simply an expression of the collective mindset of humanity and those who partake in its transference.

If you mess with those who are most connected in society, the society will judge you taking whatever those actions were into account towards your name. That is what a living world is, UO is like that; and now the forums are too. You can hide behind multiple names/accounts to cover your actions but you will be known and you can't hide forever.

If the collective seems to be overly judging or harsh it is your part to learn how to gently change it towards lieniancy and help it grow into what it needs to be to account for such responses.

In the end, the collective is not your enemy; it is your friend and guide. If you can not grow and overcome its hooks and mechanisms of control, you won't become the person you were made to be; and thus is the crux of its purpose. Welcome the world of Virtual Eugenics/Evolution: You are now staring into a mirror of reality and the world around you.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I too logged in to discover this system and find I already had negative karma! No doubt, this system will be.used by the Telamons and Wises of the world to smear the reputation of this humble bard and his associates.

But it is still a good system!