Reputation system for forums

News and Announcements
Zyler
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Reputation system for forums

Post by Zyler »

Derrick wrote:
Zyler wrote:you can turn off the AJAX feature in your user control panel if it's not working properly: ucp.php?i=karma&mode=prefs
Worked like a charm... Thanks Derrick!
PM/boards working great now!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Great to hear.

I know some of the screens are still a little messed up, and I'll work on them a bit when I get a chance.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

We were laughing about this today. I will only post my comments during our conversation (things said by others in and around it) so in a way it is out of context but you get the idea.

[22:55] <applejack> backfired shmackfired. i called the whole thing dumb on day one. we turned something dumb into something fun for a few days and it infuriated many. i say win.

[22:59] <applejack> honestly, i would just look for the most replied thread i could find and downvoted every single person in it except us and idiots like archaic. i was not discriminate at all about anyone else.

[23:05] <applejack> too funny. we got people worked up over nothing

As a note, I sorta lied in my above quote. I also voted up all the admins, blackfoot and pirul. Sorry Derrick for not taking this seriously at all and just messing with it!!!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

applejack wrote:Sorry Derrick for not taking this seriously at all and just messing with it!!!
I think it was a good test of how corruptable the system could be, and led us in the right direction. In the end the biggest surprise was that your's was not the only group :P
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Sir Trammelite

Post by Sir Trammelite »

I finally have voting rights!

Thanks Derrick.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Sir Trammelite wrote:I finally have voting rights!

Thanks Derrick.
Endless Suffrage* for all! Woo hoo!
*Jon Stewart reference

Border Patrol

Post by Border Patrol »

Derrick wrote:
applejack wrote:Sorry Derrick for not taking this seriously at all and just messing with it!!!
I think it was a good test of how corruptable the system could be, and led us in the right direction. In the end the biggest surprise was that your's was not the only group :P
I cannot speak on the behalf of others but I can speak on behalf of myself. Being employed under Lord British as part of his Sosarian Security force I took it upon myself to conduct an investigation. I was mainly testing the integrity of the system and exploits that could be used in the new karma system. It was a major success in uncovering various flaws and whatnot with the system's certain features.

Q. Besides being a nosey cop, why did I voluntarily take it upon myslef to perform this daunting task?

A. because when the karma system was first implemented by Grand Master Derrick I had noticed you COULD see who messed with your karma. Shortly after Derrick implemented the system he changed the settings to HIDE who had messed with your karma. Seeing 1st hand that Derrick could modify the settings himself I decided to further test the system.

So, I temporarily employed cA (unknowingly to them) and a number of other individuals to perform this daunting task. We performed a mock forum karma ganking and proved that under UO Forum griefing standards the system could easily be abused once someone could give out more than +1 karma. It was a dry run test of something that could really happen.

In conclusion, it is apparent that the old system is workable in any different forum standard (youtube/ebay/AOL/etc.) but because UO attracts a certain type of user (UO players are a different breed all together than normal forum users) the system had to be tweaked. The changes have been made and the test of the system is now complete. Derrick basically had a bunch of free voluteers test his new system for him without him asking.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

applejack wrote:... downvoted every single person in it except us and idiots like archaic....

...I also voted up all the admins, blackfoot and pirul....
I feel honored to have been bunched up with archaic...I guess

:P

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Can I not give karma to ppl on my friends list?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Triple post FTL, BUT I did confirm that you cannot vote (up or down) for people on your friends list. Need to remove them to be able to vote for them.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Pirul wrote:Triple post FTL, BUT I did confirm that you cannot vote (up or down) for people on your friends list. Need to remove them to be able to vote for them.
Truth. Good investigative work, Pirul. Thumbs Up. :)