Reputation system for forums

News and Announcements
Desdemona
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Karma/Reputation system for forums

Post by Desdemona »

Derrick, can you read your own karma comments?

Sir Trammelite

Post by Sir Trammelite »

Hi, I want to give everyone in here a thumbs down. However, I don't see that option. Please advise, thanks!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Desdemona wrote:Derrick, can you read your own karma comments?
If so, it's on your profile page.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

UsualSuspect

Post by UsualSuspect »

This is stupid, has this game become so boring that we need to make a game out of the forum?

Sir Trammelite

Post by Sir Trammelite »

UsualSuspect wrote:This is stupid, has this game become so boring that we need to make a game out of the forum?
It would appear so. I can only stress that automated events be put into priority.

However, I still can't see the plus or minus sign to give people negative karma.

Edit, I usually don't do this, but I read the other post and found out that I have negative karma, which in turn, doesn't give me the option to rate.
Last edited by Sir Trammelite on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

I think this should be morphed into something like seller reputation, kinda like e-bay ans such.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Kabal wrote:I think this should be morphed into something like seller reputation, kinda like e-bay ans such.
It would be nice to enable it only for certain forums, such as help, trade, suggestions. Having in a forum like trash talk doesn't make a lot of sense.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

UsualSuspect

Post by UsualSuspect »

Is that what this has become? The UO form of ebay? dumb. People are whiny little cry baby C.U next Tuesday's on here. A rating system will only make it worse.

UsualSuspect

Post by UsualSuspect »

AND.. if you are going to do this stupid crap, at least make it uo terms, not a number. the unsavory usualsuspect is much better than Karma: -1

Border Patrol

Post by Border Patrol »

Derrick wrote:
Kabal wrote:I think this should be morphed into something like seller reputation, kinda like e-bay ans such.
It would be nice to enable it only for certain forums, such as help, trade, suggestions. Having in a forum like trash talk doesn't make a lot of sense.
I gave you good karma along with a lovely message. Give me good karma please! I am nice guy!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

UsualSuspect wrote:[snip offensive commentary] at least make it uo terms, not a number. the unsavory usualsuspect is much better than Karma: -1
That's a nice suggestion.

Sir Trammelite

Post by Sir Trammelite »

Desdemona wrote:Derrick, can you read your own karma comments?
I don't think you can, or at least I haven't been able to yet.

Edit: Is there a floor or ceiling on how low or high karma can go?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Sir Trammelite wrote:Edit: Is there a floor or ceiling on how low or high karma can go?
No, but I do plan to try to set up ranks. There is an option to ban players who reach a certain level of karma; but we'll have to see how the system plays out.

To give some background on why we implemented this system: It's been desired by traders for some time, but there has never been a stable reputation system for phpBB; I've been looking for one for years. This one finally seems to fit the bill in terms of being production ready.

There's also an excessive amount of trolling in these forums, and the level at which staff will take action is pretty well known and skirted. I feel that a peer review system will help with this, and reduce some of the frustration that board admins and moderators feel about some of the postings in these forums.

It may work, it may not; but we're going to try it regardless. I do expect that it'll take a couple months to make any determination at all on whether this was a good idea.

We can continue to take good ideas on modifications to the system, but spitting on it is not going to be helpful at this time.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I think this is a great idea. Also implementing the karma titles from UO would be awesome.

Already Fede (sir trammelite) has -15 karma, I love it.

It's fun, and adds a lil something extra to the forums. Thank you Derrick.

Sir Trammelite

Post by Sir Trammelite »

Rose wrote:Already Fede (sir trammelite) has -15 karma, I love it.
I bet you do ol' chap!
Derrick wrote:No, but I do plan to try to set up ranks. There is an option to ban players who reach a certain level of karma; but we'll have to see how the system plays out.
Obviously there are problems with that.

Edit: However, if a moderator gathers up enough negative karma, he is also subject for ban?

As always, thanks!