Player Companion Program

News and Announcements
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Player Companion Program

Post by Hemperor »

Angelsbreath wrote:The companion program, I have to say after nearly is it 10 years now, Omg old age lol, well I hate to say this but totaly NO! for me its about learing as we do in life , its not about the begining or the end , but the jerny we take from A -to -B. ATM we have a very special thing, if its not broke why fix it. Unless its felt we are losing out on new players or the shard is dying.
Perhaps we need to tweek 1 or 2 things to help keep the base we have and invite more players as in (hey no hate mail lol)
1/ bless rune books- why ok becouse players are to scared to lose them via pks looters / not been able to get back to there bodys in time etc, / in short we have a transport problem I.E who uses the under ground trains affter midnight !!!
2/ this will get me banned *joke* ok listen its a good idea- We lack atm a good trading system, I.e put a vendor out and get pk,d or robed ever other day ,i know what your going to say HEY thats the way it was before, ok i know but that was OSI - Mega player base Blue vs red 90%- 10% / this does not apply here we need a safe way or zone to trade (note also hepfull for player with a red char )
In short we now have a transport system Ake we all make more gold/ buy more goods /in a safe enviroment.

note grammer (dislexick)
BE safe gods speed
Lara of Yew
xxx
umm.....

okay well runebooks should never be blessed, that just seems really cheap and retarded to me and I've never played a shard that had blessed runebooks. This system can be good because it is a very complicated game, and for a shard like this to surive and TRULY replicate the era we need new players, ones that are new to UO or ones that maybe haven't played since t2a.

Staff is rarely in game to help, some might be too lazy or whatever to ask on the forums...I think this companion system could be a great thing.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Angelsbreath wrote: Perhaps we need to tweek 1 or 2 things to help keep the base we have and invite more players as in (hey no hate mail lol)
1/ bless rune books- why ok becouse players are to scared to lose them via pks looters / not been able to get back to there bodys in time etc, / in short we have a transport problem I.E who uses the under ground trains affter midnight !!!
2/ this will get me banned *joke* ok listen its a good idea- We lack atm a good trading system, I.e put a vendor out and get pk,d or robed ever other day ,i know what your going to say HEY thats the way it was before, ok i know but that was OSI - Mega player base Blue vs red 90%- 10% / this does not apply here we need a safe way or zone to trade (note also hepfull for player with a red char )
1. If runebooks were blessed you'd have an even bigger "red problem". Runebooks were designed to cut back on item space and provide a sense of organization, not for personal backpack rune libraries. Nothing is stopping anyone from carrying 16 recall runes around or a runebook, in fact many players do. It's about Risk VS Reward. The risk is losing your runebook, the reward is the ability to travel to many places without going to a rune library, your bank, or your house.

2. Player vendors work fine how they are. So many of the good shops are right next to town, and many can be shopped from within guard zone. On top of being "pked at vendors" - if you think that's a common thing here, you've obviously jinxed or just making assumptions, I've spent several hours "AFK" at many vendor hot spots and rune libraries waiting for some devious character to jump me, and it never happened. We have a safe way to trade and a safe zone to train already. What are they called? Guard zones and the Trade Window.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

get this back on topic !

Garthorn

Post by Garthorn »

Eh, this sounds like such a joke. Then again I can't stand all these silly player town add-ons.

What we need (and partly have) are good, active guilds that help new players out, and get them started. Not a bunch of silly ghosts tending to them all the time.

Sauron

Post by Sauron »

During t2a there were volunteers who hung out at the new player spawn points and gave them free starting items and helped them find the bank etc. I don't have my t2a guide here at the moment so I'm not sure what they were called. I believe they were sanctioned by osi in some way.

Garthorn

Post by Garthorn »

Sauron wrote:During t2a there were volunteers who hung out at the new player spawn points and gave them free starting items and helped them find the bank etc. I don't have my t2a guide here at the moment so I'm not sure what they were called. I believe they were sanctioned by osi in some way.
Yea, maybe [NEW] guild could leave books every now and then outside the city Inns? Possibly directing them to their guild city, or players that could get them to the guildstone.

Senses

Post by Senses »

This game really isn't that hard guys. I mean cmon. The amount of effort it takes to find out about an 11 year old seemingly dead game, pick 1 gem out of 100 different free shards, download the client and razor is far more challenging then making a couple 100 gold your first week. These *new* players learn alot faster than most of you seem to think and anyone who is turned off by how hard things are the first week will probably not make it just cause a book in town told them to "go to irc and beg for money, then macro 3 days straight." I'm pretty sure the average person playing this game played back in the day and is not completely new to the concepts.

Garthorn

Post by Garthorn »

Senses wrote:This game really isn't that hard guys. I mean cmon. The amount of effort it takes to find out about an 11 year old seemingly dead game, pick 1 gem out of 100 different free shards, download the client and razor is far more challenging then making a couple 100 gold your first week. These *new* players learn alot faster than most of you seem to think and anyone who is turned off by how hard things are the first week will probably not make it just cause a book in town told them to "go to irc and beg for money, then macro 3 days straight." I'm pretty sure the average person playing this game played back in the day and is not completely new to the concepts.
You're right, and I'm not really a fan of handing chunks of gold out to random new players, but some new players could really get into the game through guild hunts and having people in guild chat that are used to explaining a few things about uo.

I remember when I first started playing uo on divinity. My older brother used to love uo back during t2a, so instead of playing todays osi (which we tried for a day :( ), we started up on div, where I ran around with my noob dexxer killing dogs and birds.

I was really lucky to have someone to show me around and about. We don't need silly "companion" ghosts, but a few players who are willing to befriend those silly noobs who wonder why everyone calls them a dex monkey :)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Senses wrote:This game really isn't that hard guys. I mean cmon. The amount of effort it takes to find out about an 11 year old seemingly dead game, pick 1 gem out of 100 different free shards, download the client and razor is far more challenging then making a couple 100 gold your first week. These *new* players learn alot faster than most of you seem to think and anyone who is turned off by how hard things are the first week will probably not make it just cause a book in town told them to "go to irc and beg for money, then macro 3 days straight." I'm pretty sure the average person playing this game played back in the day and is not completely new to the concepts.
We get a lot of new to UO players. The companion system, which has been online for a couple months now is there to provide assistance to players who don't know how to resurrect when they die, how to equip a sword, communinicate with vendors etc.

The companions also take a lot of the general questions pages, "How do I make bandages", "Where'd my horse go"

This program has been great for the shard and has taken a lot of load of me.

Redbeard72

Post by Redbeard72 »

Very Family Friendly Shard, That is one of the reasons i came here and I would let my kid play here. Most everyone i have ran into when i started months ago,PK's also have been very Noble at heart. you can tell between some one grief you and someone that enjoys the hunt of pking,and gating your ghost ie. Rez and give you your stuff . Companion Program Seems to be a great thing for helping true newbies.

Best Shard Ever Thanks for your hard Work and Logical Solutions to growing problems and making changes that don't effect the entire shard and game play. Again Thanks.

Slaine
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Slaine »

Aye its a very friendly shard, however, after letting my 10 year old daughter play at my side and we were in Moonglow, she asked me 'Urgh Dad why does that man keep saying 'I Poop on Girls'. When I pointed out that this was in fact his name! she was even more grossed out. Oh dear hehe. So maybe not young family orientated, but certainly has alot of people making it a friendly atmosphere.

I think the ghost companion thing is a great idea. However I started 6 days ago, and havent seen one yet, are they in game yet? And if so, how do you 'page' them?

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Slaine wrote:Aye its a very friendly shard, however, after letting my 10 year old daughter play at my side and we were in Moonglow, she asked me 'Urgh Dad why does that man keep saying 'I Poop on Girls'. When I pointed out that this was in fact his name! she was even more grossed out. Oh dear hehe. So maybe not young family orientated, but certainly has alot of people making it a friendly atmosphere.

I think the ghost companion thing is a great idea. However I started 6 days ago, and havent seen one yet, are they in game yet? And if so, how do you 'page' them?
We do have a few companions, they are online from time to time, if they are not, staff will also gladly help with any questions. All you need to do to request help is click the help button on your paperdoll and choose the best category for your question/concern.
Welcome to UOSA :)

eniave

Post by eniave »

Milford Cubicle wrote:Wouldn't also adding the era-accurate (young) player status to the shard be helpful as well?
Please no.

Vendus

Post by Vendus »

Yeah This is a great idea to get players involved in to helping each other

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

Remember the old town of Haven where new characters had started out and PVP was unallowed? What age was that?