PvP, the way it was in June 1998...?

News and Announcements
xantier

Re: PvP, the way it was in June 1998...?

Post by xantier »

actually , i didnt understand what it is.. Can u explain me ? What is uodemo , what does it do , why did u like it ??
Image Image

Murder

Post by Murder »

Sooo

Does that mean this shard is going back to pre- precasting? :D

<Panthor> your flirting with a dude
lol

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

xantier wrote:actually , i didnt understand what it is.. Can u explain me ? What is uodemo , what does it do , why did u like it ??
It was a demo that was included with the Boxed T2A game. The devs and many people that push for era accuracy believe the demo is very, very accurate.

I think it is a great ground level but personally I believe too much stock is put into this (such as Batlin said "unique names" when most players from era clearly know this was never the case, there were always clones bein made to grief. And many parts of patches weren't included in this either). I have also been declared "ignorant" for this belief.
It was always alot of fun to toy with though when the 'ol 28k blazing high speed AOL was acting up.

Faust

Post by Faust »

If you actually took the time to understand the process involving the demo you would realize that you are wrong.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Not really looking to start an argument here Faust, and this is why I used "personally I believe". Between not being overly computer saavy and having no time I can't get the demo going. Batlin says demo uses unique names, this wasn't the case on UO. Batlin says there are missing pieces of the June patch, I also believe there are missing pieces of the April patch (poisoning (i know i know), being able to teleport with jewelry while invised, and I'm sure there maybe be another one or two). If in the spring when I'm not busting my hump in RL, things haven't changed, I'll figure out how to get this up and running and attempt to contribute what evidence I can find.

virtue

Post by virtue »

If you believe the UO demo is "extremely accurate" then you're quite wrong.

I remember playing the demo for kicks back in 1998 and it is EXTREMELY different in terms of pvp mechanics.

You couldn't "steal a hit" by tabbing during combat, I am sorry that is so inaccurate.

Please, we need to discuss pvp and not rely on the demo because it is not a good indication.

The closest to t2a combat is a mix between IPY and Divinity. I am not talking about Divinity's current pvp with the fast'ish casting and spelling. What I mean is we need insta hit to work, spell damage modified, take out "tab stealing", take out the 2 seconds u need to stand still to hit someone.

Right now pvp is utterly ridiculous on this server.

Werthers Chewbackas

Post by Werthers Chewbackas »

GREAT JOB BATLIN.
Last edited by Werthers Chewbackas on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And then every single one of my brain cells cried out in joyful unison, that they would be spared further torment at the hands of this %$#$-nut saturated environment."

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

...for allowing someone to connect to your account and possibly uploading viruses on your computer if not at least throttling your connection to help weaken your chances of winning a fight.
Is this even worth my time to respond to? If that were the case I would have been banned a long time ago. The uodemo+ app is not making any outgoing connections, it's not writing back any data anywhere. A listener socket is opened using the functions that were already inside the demo! You can use packet sniffers and file activity loggers to see that. Don't make claims you didn't even try to verify.

The server code inside the demo is reality. Sure, it's from the beginning of the era, lacking meditation etc., but that's what the patch notes are for.
This will help to rid the shard of people you don't like, such as myself.
I do not know you so I cannot dislike you. But making random accusations you can't make hard isn't helping though.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Batlin wrote:
...for allowing someone to connect to your account and possibly uploading viruses on your computer if not at least throttling your connection to help weaken your chances of winning a fight.
Is this even worth my time to respond to? If that were the case I would have been banned a long time ago. The uodemo+ app is not making any outgoing connections, it's not writing back any data anywhere. A listener socket is opened using the functions that were already inside the demo! You can use packet sniffers and file activity loggers to see that. Don't make claims you didn't even try to verify.

The server code inside the demo is reality. Sure, it's from the beginning of the era, lacking meditation etc., but that's what the patch notes are for.
This will help to rid the shard of people you don't like, such as myself.
I do not know you so I cannot dislike you. But making random accusations you can't make hard isn't helping though.
I figured since I'm a proponent against the demo I would like to give you my thanks Batlin for providing the demo, especially from some of the more recent posts in this thread.
I'm fairly sure the demo has provided us with alot of era accurate info we would have otherwise not been able to extrapolate otherwise, and it was a great thing for this commmunity.

With that said I still believe we use it too much as a crutch at times.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Likely the most ridiculous post I've seen on these forums. I try not to criticize, but this is absolutely absurd.

Thanks much Batlin for the countless hours you've put into this project. Agreeing or not with the way the information is implemented, or not implemented on Second Age, the wealth of indisputable information alone that has been obtained alone through this project is invaluable and is being utilized in places that go beyond UOSA.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

haha, you can't help but laugh at people like this Derrick... :wink:

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:haha, you can't help but laugh at people like this Derrick... :wink:
I didn't find this funny at all.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

When someone is this pathetic it's simply ridiculous and simply makes me laugh at their stupidity.

I don't take moronic comments like this serious at all when it's a clear attack out of spite.

Anthrax

Post by Anthrax »

tbh... the swing steal, is something that i think we should look into... i agree 100 percent, tabbing out, worked in t2a

Kiljox

Post by Kiljox »

Anthrax wrote:tbh... the swing steal, is something that i think we should look into... i agree 100 percent, tabbing out, worked in t2a

For the love of god please show that tabbing worked... cause I simply won't play now without it. It's just run around with attack last pinned to the f*cking keyboard