NOTICE: New Server

News and Announcements
Dagon

Re: NOTICE: New Server

Post by Dagon »

This probably doesn't apply to anyone else, heh, but the new server ip was blocked for me today in PeerGuardian as ServerBeach Emule servers|p2p fake files.. I actually thought it was sort of funny, once I figured out that was the problem.

r0b
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by r0b »

I played well into the wee hours this morning. I am seeing a real improvement in save times and general "peppi-ness" to the game. Thanks for all your hard work guys. This really is the best shard.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Dagon wrote:This probably doesn't apply to anyone else, heh, but the new server ip was blocked for me today in PeerGuardian as ServerBeach Emule servers|p2p fake files.. I actually thought it was sort of funny, once I figured out that was the problem.
We had the same problem with an old IP address as well :/
If you are a customer of theirs, can you report that as an error?

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Could report it as an error, yes, but from stuff I've read about people commenting on blocklist accuracy it's unlikely that the ip address would be removed. Bad list administration.

IdleBlade

Post by IdleBlade »

Is there still some bad lag for people or is the new server just causing me problems? I lagged and died last night, and today I'm getting weird rubber-band affects while trying to move around.

don't get me wrong, not complaining about the server/shard here, just wondering if the lag is just me or not :)

Teph

Post by Teph »

IdleBlade wrote:Is there still some bad lag for people or is the new server just causing me problems? I lagged and died last night, and today I'm getting weird rubber-band affects while trying to move around.

don't get me wrong, not complaining about the server/shard here, just wondering if the lag is just me or not :)
like wat exactly, can others move when your frozen?

IdleBlade

Post by IdleBlade »

Teph wrote:
IdleBlade wrote:Is there still some bad lag for people or is the new server just causing me problems? I lagged and died last night, and today I'm getting weird rubber-band affects while trying to move around.

hard to say actually, i logged off. but i remember seeing my horse looking like its running but not going anywhere, then suddenly "popping" into someplace further down the direction I was running. houses wouldn't appear on my screen and would cause me some strange bouncing affect when I ran through them by accident (not seeing them). just strange stuff that I hadn't seen much of on this server until very recently.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

IdleBlade wrote:
Teph wrote:

hard to say actually, i logged off. but i remember seeing my horse looking like its running but not going anywhere, then suddenly "popping" into someplace further down the direction I was running. houses wouldn't appear on my screen and would cause me some strange bouncing affect when I ran through them by accident (not seeing them). just strange stuff that I hadn't seen much of on this server until very recently.
There's nothing about the server move that should cause anything like this.

What is your client version?

Kamos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kamos »

Yeah, save times are really short now. Awesome.

dog1706
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dog1706 »

Still get lag though.

Server def was laggy at all when I first came.
Now lag almost kills me twice a day.

ImDoom

Post by ImDoom »

Myself and a few guildmembers found the lag unbareable this morning around 12:00-2:00 am est. also small lag spikes at times. it was really bad though around 1,2, and 3 am.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

ImDoom wrote:Myself and a few guildmembers found the lag unbareable this morning around 12:00-2:00 am est. also small lag spikes at times. it was really bad though around 1,2, and 3 am.
Thanks for the reports on the early morning lag last night. I think I have found the cause of that issue and am taking steps to prevent it.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

ImDoom wrote:Myself and a few guildmembers found the lag unbareable this morning around 12:00-2:00 am est. also small lag spikes at times. it was really bad though around 1,2, and 3 am.
I logged in at about 09:00 GMT and that lag was still present, and lasted until server down at 12:15 GMT. Server came back up and it was fine.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Update on issues:

Subject: Lag and server status
Derrick wrote:I believe the problem has been found and corrected as of this mornings restart.

We've had a few separate yet somewhat related problems over the last week or so which have contributed to the problems we've been seeing.

Before we moved the server, system resources were getting short pretty fast. The number of items and players in game has been growing at an astonishing rate, up to 2.4 million items now, 23124 active accounts, 67801 mobiles. The memory requirements of the shard exceeded the capacity of the current operating system. On Friday 7/24/2009 at 15:34 ET, the old shard crashed for the last time with an Out Of Memory error when attempting to create some blood splatter (noted only for irony).

We were already in the process of spinning up a new server, and moved over to it somewhat in a hurry. We had problems immediately following which resulted in two shard hangs which are believed to have been network related, and have not reoccurred since some reconfiguration was done.

Due to the improved speed of the new server and additional processor cores, it's able to do more at once than our previous box. This surprisingly led to further problems, which took me some time to find; possible due to severe lack of sleep which I finally got caught up with on Sunday. The three incidents we've seen over the last weekend and yesterday with prolonged periods of unplayable lag were the result of a resource warning being generated and logged to disk. The system was inappropriately flagging certain internal resource consumption as dangerous (pool sizes) . This was corrected last night, and this problem is not likely to reoccur.

At this point, I have an enormous confidence that all the problems we've seen in the last week have been mitigated, and with the new server we should easily be able to support upwards of 1500 connections, likely much more that that.

I want to thank everyone who contributed funds over the last week, as we've grown the shard expense has increased and we've surpassed the point where I could possibly cover this myself. The generous donations that we receive keep the shard off the rocks. Thanks everyone!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

IdleBlade

Post by IdleBlade »

Derrick wrote:
IdleBlade wrote:
There's nothing about the server move that should cause anything like this.

What is your client version?
I'm still getting this more often than not. I'm currently running v. 6.0.13.0 (Patch 91). Should I drop down to a lower version?