Post by pskarren »

i will not publicize shard till my simple problem is fixed

Chaknor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Publicizing the Server and helping players find us

Post by Chaknor »

Kogane wrote:Its very easy to attract players, simply stream on twitch.tv

If 10 of us stream, people will see it and be interested.
^^ - Definitely a great idea, we should have people streaming each of the non-PvP related player run events, (if we don't already). Reason for this, is PvP to a newbie is quite daunting until they get a handle for Razor and the necessary setups.

Mr.Kizzle

Post by Mr.Kizzle »

See this thread: http://www.forums.uosecondage.com/viewt ... 11&t=56663

Derrick, the time is now... swallow your pride about being "era-accurate" and get the population back, banner ads and voting are not going to solve the issue anymore, if you care to fix this problem look at what UOF is doing, they literally have 1000 unique users on at almost any given time... and if you think that it's because people like UOR play better, you're wrong... It's not too late and I would RATHER play here, as would many of my friends, but theres no point with 30 users on 3 accounts each... If the problem doesn't get solved, then all of our time will soon be for not.

Business Management 101, even if its a non-profit.

stereopony

Post by stereopony »

One other thing i'd like to add ... is how the communities treat new comers.

I very often find new comers get bullied in britain grave yard, someone either lead mob into him or do some dumb things to him/her...

This is usually where new comers go to, so that first impression of this communities certainly doesn't help.

I suggest that people that care about population decline do a regular patrol of britain graveyard, (maybe like once per hour you're on), give them a heal, some armor/silver weapon, and maybe introduce them to NEW.

JessieKJepsen
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by JessieKJepsen »

It seems things keep getting slower,. :(

Well, I have brought 6 new people to the server since Christmas but they lost interest after loosing everything while getting started to PKs several times a day. I understand that's how things are but meh, hard to explain that to some people and not have them frustrated about it.

Well, Lets keep thinking of what we can do to get them back or new people cause its making me sad :( 180 ip's :( :( :(

Denis the Menace

Post by Denis the Menace »

Hi @ll,

after 14 years of abstinent (played on Drachenfels) I've started on UOSA a week ago.

I choose the shard mainly because I ping around 100ms to it from the EU,
which is compared to the other shards I tested around 40ms faster.

In this week I managed to buy a small house deed with lumberjacking all
day long, quite boring but that's the way to go. (Now there is missing just
two / three month of macroing to get my chars to your level...)

In this week I noticed that there are around 150 Accounts logged in on a daily base.
-To me- it looks like there are no rivalry guilds, not even chaos is fighting order but instead a bunch of veteran guilds/PVP/PK's
which are happy to "play" with each other ^^. Few new players,
which means I'am out with my newbie char for the next couple of months.

Î also realized after 8 hours of searching a valuable spot for my small house,
that this must be a dieing shard full of ghost accounts.

I ended up placing my small house in the middle of nowhere, which means I wont
meet other players, and they wont meet me. So I took a look at the forum to buy a house near to anything, and -boom-
up to 100 billion gps for a small house in a frequented area. I cant afford that.

Both points makes me think that it's probably not worth the efford to level up on UOSA and better switching to another shard. Proof me wrong.

Greetings from Berlin

Denis

killaboy

Post by killaboy »

There are many players who love helping new players. Take a look at this thread helping new/old vets with housing.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59093

If you see people with the tag above their head saying "NEW" its a guild specifically for newer players. They are glad to help you guys get on your feet.

Accastionally you will find a "mean" person here or there but im sure thats on all shards. It's well worth the time to put in this shard I think and im sure many other people agree with me you just got to meet them.

Ill be glad to help you with some cash if you need more to help macro PM me if so and dont go! Find some nice people and join a guild!

Hope you make the right choice.

-Ursula

[11:31] <@Vintirex-droid> Cause he wants to flirt like a 7 year old I'm out silver

[18:55] <Soma_> I would definitely go transginger for millions of doll hairs

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

Streaming PvP on Twitch.TV with commentary like player runned events like a duel tournament or any large scale PvP may or may not make a difference.

This shard is the most rewarding and is the only one I know of (or worth mentioning?) That has 0 micro transactions.

Then their is GTA Online.. Its awesome..
Baalx in IRC
https://www.twitch.tv/adrenalinepvptwitch

"<Vega> he needs some refresh mount kegs"
"<Vega> for the incessant trammel-a-thons he goes on"

WarmApplepie

Post by WarmApplepie »

Denis the Menace wrote:Hi @ll,

after 14 years of abstinent (played on Drachenfels) I've started on UOSA a week ago.

I choose the shard mainly because I ping around 100ms to it from the EU,
which is compared to the other shards I tested around 40ms faster.

In this week I managed to buy a small house deed with lumberjacking all
day long, quite boring but that's the way to go. (Now there is missing just
two / three month of macroing to get my chars to your level...)

In this week I noticed that there are around 150 Accounts logged in on a daily base.
-To me- it looks like there are no rivalry guilds, not even chaos is fighting order but instead a bunch of veteran guilds/PVP/PK's
which are happy to "play" with each other ^^. Few new players,
which means I'am out with my newbie char for the next couple of months.

Î also realized after 8 hours of searching a valuable spot for my small house,
that this must be a dieing shard full of ghost accounts.

I ended up placing my small house in the middle of nowhere, which means I wont
meet other players, and they wont meet me. So I took a look at the forum to buy a house near to anything, and -boom-
up to 100 billion gps for a small house in a frequented area. I cant afford that.

Both points makes me think that it's probably not worth the efford to level up on UOSA and better switching to another shard. Proof me wrong.

Greetings from Berlin

Denis
there are Plenty of cheap houses. Hell there was an L shape for Deed +25k ....that's ridiculously cheap. In fact many houses are going for just the deed, people looking to get rid of em. Plenty of people doing loan/housing programs to help new players. Plenty of guilding giving regs/cash/lots of help to get people rocking and rolling. A small is plenty to start with, and work your way from there. Cash and regs are another. The LONG process of success is what makes this game so much fun. Go on IRC and ask for stuff you need, within reason and most will be glad to help. Im 86 days into this shard and love it, and spend way to much time here :(
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

Skorp

Re: Thoughts from a new player

Post by Skorp »

Hi All,

I played ultima on Imagine Nation on and off since 2003. Currently they don't have a server up and I've had an ultima itch with all the talk of Shroud of the Avatar. I created an account here on Thursday and have been playing and macroing 3 accounts since then. Personally I prefer the UOR age with paladins and necros but not the other stuff after that. Imagine Nation 2 was my favorite shard ever. It was the only UOR one though and all others were similar to UO Second Age in a lot of ways.

Ultima is an old game and I think the staff here has done a great job upholding "era accuracy". This seems to be a large driving force around here and I understand the desire to have a template you follow to avoid discussion and arguments. Honestly second age feels outdated and stuck to old ways for no reason other than that's how its been done or that's how it was. I think the largest benefit of running a free shard (I have staffed on Imagine Nation), is the ability to customize things and fix things that were implemented poorly long ago. When I walk around second age the world is bland and boring from what I've seen so far (to be fair not a whole lot). It seems like players have millions and starting out I feel I have a very long way to go and a lot of work involved to get anywhere meaningful. I find myself asking whether I should continue here or try a UOR type shard.

What benefit is there to training and sticking around here? People talk about how second age is very rewarding if you stick around. I'm sure that is the case on a lot of shards. I always played Imagine Nation for the people because UO is an old game and there are better games these days. So far the people here have been a mixed bag. My first few days I stuck around Britain and was rather put off by the contingent of players that frequent Britain bank. That said I still had a couple people offer me some starting gold. Macroing in Britain I was griefed for training afk. This is UO and it was expected but still says something about the server. Eventually I stopped by Skara Brae bank and met someone who gave me a house to macro in and set me up with a hunting spot. One of my characters joined NEW and I am taken aback by how much players here want to help newcomers get started. Leaving Britain was a great move. Still the question remains, do I want to continue making second age my home? What do I have to look forward to when trained? Grinding for gold for a house and for regs to train magery? PVP? I don't have a clear goal in mind of why I'm here and what I want out of the server honestly. But for an old game like ultima a free server should be screaming in my face what is offered and why I should stay here instead of somewhere else. Nothing has yet caught my attention. It is nice to be able to run three clients at once I will say. But it feels like I'm cheating, and cheating always ruins a game.

My biggest gripe is that new characters start with 100gp. This is silly when characters in the world have millions of gold. Start a character off with 1000gp and it would make things a million times easier for newcomers. I'd also recommend making horses 300gp instead of the 700gp they are currently. I don't understand the stamina requirements for mounts. It is really annoying to spend 700gp on a horse when you are starting out, only to find the horse is a weak POS who can barely run. Anyway, there's a lot that can be done to make it easier for new players. As it stands as an ultima vet I spent days on multiple characters trying to make some money to train skills up to 30. The barriers to entry are HUGE and if you want to climb them, there's no indication of why and what's on the other side.

Lastly, I just want to say staff are always under appreciated and I will say the ease of joining the community and the tools available like the wiki and such were very refreshing. It's clear the staff work hard, I just get the sense from what little I know about the shard now, that they are a bit stubborn about change. I only wish to say that change is good and necessary and nothing will improve here without change. You cannot ride the success of the past forever, sustained success requires evolution.

Capitalist

Re: Thoughts from a new player

Post by Capitalist »

Skorp wrote:Hi All,

I played ultima on Imagine Nation on and off since 2003. Currently they don't have a server up and I've had an ultima itch with all the talk of Shroud of the Avatar. I created an account here on Thursday and have been playing and macroing 3 accounts since then. Personally I prefer the UOR age with paladins and necros but not the other stuff after that. Imagine Nation 2 was my favorite shard ever. It was the only UOR one though and all others were similar to UO Second Age in a lot of ways.

Ultima is an old game and I think the staff here has done a great job upholding "era accuracy". This seems to be a large driving force around here and I understand the desire to have a template you follow to avoid discussion and arguments. Honestly second age feels outdated and stuck to old ways for no reason other than that's how its been done or that's how it was. I think the largest benefit of running a free shard (I have staffed on Imagine Nation), is the ability to customize things and fix things that were implemented poorly long ago. When I walk around second age the world is bland and boring from what I've seen so far (to be fair not a whole lot). It seems like players have millions and starting out I feel I have a very long way to go and a lot of work involved to get anywhere meaningful. I find myself asking whether I should continue here or try a UOR type shard.

What benefit is there to training and sticking around here? People talk about how second age is very rewarding if you stick around. I'm sure that is the case on a lot of shards. I always played Imagine Nation for the people because UO is an old game and there are better games these days. So far the people here have been a mixed bag. My first few days I stuck around Britain and was rather put off by the contingent of players that frequent Britain bank. That said I still had a couple people offer me some starting gold. Macroing in Britain I was griefed for training afk. This is UO and it was expected but still says something about the server. Eventually I stopped by Skara Brae bank and met someone who gave me a house to macro in and set me up with a hunting spot. One of my characters joined NEW and I am taken aback by how much players here want to help newcomers get started. Leaving Britain was a great move. Still the question remains, do I want to continue making second age my home? What do I have to look forward to when trained? Grinding for gold for a house and for regs to train magery? PVP? I don't have a clear goal in mind of why I'm here and what I want out of the server honestly. But for an old game like ultima a free server should be screaming in my face what is offered and why I should stay here instead of somewhere else. Nothing has yet caught my attention. It is nice to be able to run three clients at once I will say. But it feels like I'm cheating, and cheating always ruins a game.

My biggest gripe is that new characters start with 100gp. This is silly when characters in the world have millions of gold. Start a character off with 1000gp and it would make things a million times easier for newcomers. I'd also recommend making horses 300gp instead of the 700gp they are currently. I don't understand the stamina requirements for mounts. It is really annoying to spend 700gp on a horse when you are starting out, only to find the horse is a weak POS who can barely run. Anyway, there's a lot that can be done to make it easier for new players. As it stands as an ultima vet I spent days on multiple characters trying to make some money to train skills up to 30. The barriers to entry are HUGE and if you want to climb them, there's no indication of why and what's on the other side.

Lastly, I just want to say staff are always under appreciated and I will say the ease of joining the community and the tools available like the wiki and such were very refreshing. It's clear the staff work hard, I just get the sense from what little I know about the shard now, that they are a bit stubborn about change. I only wish to say that change is good and necessary and nothing will improve here without change. You cannot ride the success of the past forever, sustained success requires evolution.
"I don't like this era. *Insert complaint about why this server sucks* Why am I not given free stuff? *2 paragraphs about why I should start with stuff and not earn it*"

You're welcome for the tl;dr.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Skorp

Post by Skorp »

Capitalist wrote: "I don't like this era. *Insert complaint about why this server sucks* Why am I not given free stuff? *2 paragraphs about why I should start with stuff and not earn it*"

Are you Vega? It's nice to see vets catering to vets. Quite a closed community on the forums?

Majority of the shards I played were this era. I honestly think this server is solid in a lot of ways. If you consider 1000gp to someone playing ultima for the first time or the first time in a long time free stuff that is unacceptable to mention then the point I was trying to make was certainly lost.

I regret that my tone may have been seen as hostile to someone who has spent a lot of time here. I was only trying to introduce myself somewhat and convey that I see a lot I like but still have a lot of concerns. If I am to continue investing a lot of time here I was hoping to get some of those concerns addressed and general thoughts from people who play here and have for a while. It seems reading the forums that some are concerned about the trajectory the shard is taking. I only wished to convey the viewpoint and thoughts of someone new to the landscape.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I hear that there is a weak spot that you can hit to kill Smaug.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Skorp

Post by Skorp »

GuardianKnight wrote:I hear that there is a weak spot that you can hit to kill Smaug.
It didn't always exist.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Skorp wrote:
Capitalist wrote: "I don't like this era. *Insert complaint about why this server sucks* Why am I not given free stuff? *2 paragraphs about why I should start with stuff and not earn it*"

Are you Vega? It's nice to see vets catering to vets. Quite a closed community on the forums?

Majority of the shards I played were this era. I honestly think this server is solid in a lot of ways. If you consider 1000gp to someone playing ultima for the first time or the first time in a long time free stuff that is unacceptable to mention then the point I was trying to make was certainly lost.

I regret that my tone may have been seen as hostile to someone who has spent a lot of time here. I was only trying to introduce myself somewhat and convey that I see a lot I like but still have a lot of concerns. If I am to continue investing a lot of time here I was hoping to get some of those concerns addressed and general thoughts from people who play here and have for a while. It seems reading the forums that some are concerned about the trajectory the shard is taking. I only wished to convey the viewpoint and thoughts of someone new to the landscape.
I'm not a vet and I've stopped reading your posts. They're grammatically correct, which I do appreciate.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Return to “Shard News”