The Salty Dog -- White Harbor (The Missing)

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
DwMcAliley

The Salty Dog -- White Harbor (The Missing)

Post by DwMcAliley »

Ascher looped his horse's reins aound a rough hitching post in front of the tavern. A faded sign swung over the door, shoing a shaggy white dog with a Captain's tricorner hat on, standing on two legs behind the wheel of a sailing vessel.

This was the place.

Two days before, hed found a small, tightly rolled piece of parchment slipped into his bags as he was depositing funds in the Bank of Moonglow. He knew he hadn't put the parchment in the small pouch he kept for any stray gemstones he might stumble across. Someone else, someone with very nimble fingers, had put it there for him.

Ascher had unrolled the parchment and the message there was simple and straight forward: Salty Dog. Two days. Come alone. V

Ascher stood now outside the salty dog, debating on whether or not to go in. He pulled the rolled parchment from his pocket and looked at it once more. His eyes gravitating to the stylized "V" that served as a signature. He knew what that signature meant, and he didn't like...but he knew he couldn't ignore it, either.

With a deep breath, Ascher pushed open the door and ducked into the tavern.

Inside the common room was spacious, but with low ceilings of rough hewn beams of dark, ancient wood. The beams were stained from centuries of thick pipesmoke, and the air was a bit hazy. Fires crackled in the huge stone hearths along one wall, and serving wenches moved in and out of a large set of doors on the other side of the common room; empty trays went in one massive door, and full ones came out the other.

Many of the tables still had guests at them, and several were even full, despite the late hour. There was a raucous dice game going in the corner by the stairs, but Ascher steered clear of it. This late in the evening, if he bought in and started winning, it would look suspicious. And suspicion could turn to anger very quickly with those kinds of men to be dicing at this hour.

Ascher looked around as he moved through the common room, looking for a familiar face or a familiar garment. He knew the man he was seeking, knew him well, and he should be easy to recognize. On the other hand, because he knew Vantick, Ascher also knew that nothing could ever be that simple with him.

Finally, Ascher reached a table at the back of the tavern, and he sat down. A couple of well spaced lamps in alcoves along the walls gave enough light to see by without giving off enough to really see anything clearly. Guests in taverns like these often valued their privacy...and their anonymity.

A very attractive waitress with a thick blonde braide and bright hazel eyes took his drink order, and left. When she returned, she put the bottle of aged oak ale and a mug down, then set down a steaming loaf of bread that smelled like fresh rosemary and garlic, with just a hint of olive.

"On the house," The waitress said with a wink, then she glided away.

Ascher poured himself a mug of ale, cut a slice of bread, and scanned the room, but still didn't spot Vantick, or even anyone who looked like they might be Vantick in disguise. With a shrug, Ascher took a bite of the bread and moaned his approval. It was warm, flaky, and delicious. He took a sip of his oak ale.

"G'devening, M'Lord," A voice suddenly said, and Vantick suddenly appeared in the seat across from Ascher, materializing as if out of shadow itself. Ascher, startled, coughed and choked on his ale. Thankfully, there was enough noise coming from the dice game to make his coughing unnoticeable.

"You scared the wits out of me!" Ascher growled after he regained his breath, "How long have you been hiding there?"

Vantick grinned a toothy, malelovent grin, "Long enough to know that you are acareful and observant man," Vantick chuckled, "And long enough to know that waitress was interested in more than a smiling customer and a good tip."

Ascher felt his face heat, and he ground his teeth, biting down on his anger, "Why did you want to see me, Vantick? I thought we were done."

Suddenly the man's grin was gone, and his stare hard an icy, dangerous quality. Vantick leaned in close and whispered in an intense voice, "You think you're so high and mighty... Mr. Honorable. Mr. Lord Captain. What do they know of your past? I've seen you, M'Lord when the blood lust was on you. I saw you rampage through that tribe of Brigands when they took Cage hostage all those years ago.... I saw you when you tracked down the man who killed your parents.... I saw who you really are, Kraw."

Vantick sat back again, his face a stony mask, "You act like you hate me. Like you can't stand what I am and what I've done....who I've chosen to be. You took your grief and you swallowed it until you beat it.... Mine beat me..... You act like you hate me, Kraw, but you need me. You need me to go the places you can't.... you need me to do the things your precious honor won't allow. You need me, and you know it..... and what's worse.... I know it."

Ascher tried not to hear his words, but the truth cuts deep. He stared at the table a long time, fighting back demons from his past he thought he'd buried long ago. Finally, he took a long drink of his ale, and raised his eyes to Vantick's.

"So why did you call me here, Vantick?" Ascher asked, his voice thick with pain, "Was it to torment me? To make me hurt? You knew I'd come... we were brothers once... Keepers, both of us. You knew I'd come. Was it just to spit hate in my face?"

Vantick leaned back in his chair, his cold, hard eyes never changed, "A man who travels hears things from time to time. Things that others might not hear. I've heard some things recently that you might like to know.... things about a pirate's camp destroyed..... things about a woman named Lea....things about a man who's not quite a man that's missing.... A traveling man hears things, from time to time."

Ascher nodded, and swallowed hard, "What's your price?"

Vantick chuckled softly to himself, the toothy malicious grin back on his face, "All in good time M'Lord. All in good time."

Vantick leaned forward and began speaking, his voice low so that it wouldn't carry. He knew that whatever price he asked, Ascher would pay it, even if the information had already been divulged....... honor would see to that.....