Not so nice

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
STTrife

Not so nice

Post by STTrife »

Jezus, i've been playing on uo second age for a while now and really... it seems only the annoying sad people who played UO are still playing. I've NEVER been spoken to by anyone without them trying to either steal my items or lure them into their home so they could kill me etc. etc.
Oh and I bought one thing of a vendor: a runebook that was supposed to have runes to dungeons was empty.
Serioursly, is this the only multiplayer left in UO??? Is this really supposed to be fun? Is there not a single person left that decided to be a good guy in this game?

I played UO when it was just released... there were some bad guys then too, but at least they were just normal PK's, and not these 'sociopath' types who pretend to be nice but just try to f*** you over any chance they can get...

Dro'Sakhar

Re: Not so nice

Post by Dro'Sakhar »

Heh, sounds like you've had a rough go of it for your homecoming. Give it a day and try again. I've only been on the shard for a week or two, but in that time I've met a far greater number of helpful folks than not. Yes, there are those who get their kicks from swindling someone. Yes, there are those whose sole joy in life is killing you and taking your beloved junk. Yes, there are even those who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, got kicked in the teeth by Lord British's guards one too many times, and have decided to swipe your hard-earned loot right out of your pack rather than get an honest job and earn their way in society. But that is what makes UO so wonderful. It isn't all bad, and it isn't all carebear-land. It's somewhere in-between. The tomcats may dirty the sandbox once in a while, but there are some great times to be had, as well.

Stick with it... it'll be worth it in the end.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Dro'Sakhar wrote:Heh, sounds like you've had a rough go of it for your homecoming. Give it a day and try again. I've only been on the shard for a week or two, but in that time I've met a far greater number of helpful folks than not. Yes, there are those who get their kicks from swindling someone. Yes, there are those whose sole joy in life is killing you and taking your beloved junk. Yes, there are even those who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, got kicked in the teeth by Lord British's guards one too many times, and have decided to swipe your hard-earned loot right out of your pack rather than get an honest job and earn their way in society. But that is what makes UO so wonderful. It isn't all bad, and it isn't all carebear-land. It's somewhere in-between. The tomcats may dirty the sandbox once in a while, but there are some great times to be had, as well.

Stick with it... it'll be worth it in the end.
Aye stick with it and you'll succeed. I actually try to be helpful in game, and I really dont mean to turn this post against you, but sometimes you have to stand alone for what you believe. And more often than not you'll find your not as alone as you think. Check out the tips on the forums anda lot at first. It will help you in the long run. Most of us "helpful" folks try to post stuff here so new players need not repeat our follies

Jupiter of the Grey Order

Nilly

Post by Nilly »

The best way I've found of getting in with people who aren't psychotic sadists is to find a guild.

:)

For future reference this is the IC only section.

Nergnog

Post by Nergnog »

Awwwww, the psychotic sadists are the best!

Seriously though, go outside Brit, people scam a little less there. And just think, one day you can do this to someone else.

Lucien

Post by Lucien »

Nergnog wrote:And just think, one day you can do this to someone else.
I really don't think this is a good way of seeing things...

This eye for an eye mentality isn't the way to go.

Brymstone666

Post by Brymstone666 »

First let me just say that this isn't UO, this is UOSA. There's a difference, I enjoy the fact that a faithful attempt has been made to re-create the T2A era, however the playerbase is by far the biggest bunch of immature A-holes I have ever come across in a MMORPG. I sympathize with you on that account.

Just find a guild and try to ignore the scammers, griefers and plain f-ing retards that really go out of their way to make your UO experience here a frustrating one.

There are some good people that play here, just have to wade through the cesspool to meet them on the other side, good luck, stick with it.

Lucy the Lich

Post by Lucy the Lich »

STTrife wrote:Jezus, i've been playing on uo second age for a while now and really... it seems only the annoying sad people who played UO are still playing. I've NEVER been spoken to by anyone without them trying to either steal my items or lure them into their home so they could kill me etc. etc.
Oh and I bought one thing of a vendor: a runebook that was supposed to have runes to dungeons was empty.
Serioursly, is this the only multiplayer left in UO??? Is this really supposed to be fun? Is there not a single person left that decided to be a good guy in this game?

I played UO when it was just released... there were some bad guys then too, but at least they were just normal PK's, and not these 'sociopath' types who pretend to be nice but just try to f*** you over any chance they can get...
Thats because your playing with the wrong group of people. You've ran into the kids of all the annoying people who used to play UO. All the old annoying people all OD'd and died or are playing dungeons and dragons right now. Give it another shot, this is a great server.

Dro'Sakhar

Post by Dro'Sakhar »

Now, now. There is nothing wrong with paper-and-pencil gaming. It's not just the annoying folk who enjoy the original rpgs. :D

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Best advise is to find a good guild, DG or WL or UWL and learn how the shard works and who/what to trust.

Grog

Post by Grog »

Dun gib up laddy. T'is ole Dwarf seen al te scurge ob te lands ere'. Eben te uriks hab som humility., but te t'ill tink! Wher's meh ale!! *walks off to find a lass with a pitcher of ale*

decrement

Post by decrement »

Contrasts are a funny thing. I'm a few days into UOSA and I've had a very positive experience as a whole. With nothing to start from, I planned my first character around resource gathering and starting flipping every coin I had into tools to let me keep doing it. I have initiated my contact with other characters from a trade-basis of resources - relatively low-priced commodities. I have met some very helpful people, one going so far as to pay much more than my asking price on a trade, and giving me a free full spell-book when I ran into them later. So far I haven't had anyone try to gank me while out collecting. The few times I had people initiate trying to scam me I made a joke of some sort derailing the conversation, continued about my business, they got bored and moved on. My experience has been smooth sailing up to this point.

That said, I'm keeping my interactions with others on a positive note, but I'm building teeth on my characters. GM'd wrestling overnight and have the funds to begin macroing magery/resist magic on my resource gatherer. I haven't purchased a house yet, just macro'd it out in the wild. I knew an area that tends to be low-traffic and luck was on my side. I never would have got away with that in classic. This game is much more fun knowing that grief might be around the next corner. I look forward to being prepared to flip the tables when it comes around; this is what makes UO so fun.

On rune books in general, just stay away from those on vendors. There are tons of buildings with filled rune books locked down for the public to use. I have simply been buying myself Mark scrolls and piggy-backing off pre-filled rune books to mark a set of runes useful to my activities.

Infantry

Post by Infantry »

Where not all bad, You've just not found the right mates to be around yet.