The Roleplaying Encyclopedia

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
chainsoar

The Roleplaying Encyclopedia

Post by chainsoar »

Call me overly optimistic (and many people already have) but I wonder if the 'lack of RP' I often hear people complaining about on this shard is simply due to a lack of fresh ideas. It's certainly understandable, UO is a very old game and it often feels like everything has been done before.

But have I not personally proven that this is not the case? I feel confident in declaring myself the only combat beggar chef on the server - was that not something new? And yes, I've had a lot of fun playing that character.

So perhaps, with this post, someone will be inspired to try something new. Perhaps not. If one person does something fun and interesting because my suggestions helped to put an idea into their head that they decided to realise ingame, I have succeeded. If not, I've lost nothing but the time it took me to type this. For me, that's a no-brainer.

So here it is. This thread will be composed of suggestions for things you can do as a roleplayer. I almost always end up playing the bad guy in any RP situation, but I still have plenty of ideas for who I would like my enemies to be. And of course, anyone who feels they have something to add is more than welcome to post.

Let this be a compendium of ideas, compiled by the roleplaying community of UOSA.

To start, let's go over some classics that have had, or currently have, a presence on our server.

ORCS[+]
SAVAGES[+]
UNDEAD[+]
PIRATES[+]
HOBOS![+]
AUTOMATONS[+]
Thus concludes the 'rehashing stuff we already did' portion of the class. If there is anything that appears to be missing, let it be known that it was unintentional and the above was not meant to be an exhaustive list of all the RP activities on the shard. No disrespect is intended to anyone who feels they were left out.

And now -

Because nice guys finish last! Let's do the badboys first.

VILLAINS

I have SO many ideas for different ways to play the badguy. There are literally thousands of different methods of being a bastard, the scope is huge. You can even play the borderline scoundrel, the bad guy who's not really all that bad, the thief who's actually a pretty honourable fellow. But let's be frank. Bloodlust is good. Murder is fun.
BANDITS[+]
ASSASSINS[+]
GOOD GUYS
TEMPLARS[+]
WIZARDS[+]

NEUTRAL

Roleplaying a 'neutral' alignment can be an interesting choice. You have the option to absolutely refuse any involvement in activities on either side of the fence, or you may prefer to dabble in both. Ironically, it often seems that neutral characters are mostly played by only the most serious, dedicated roleplayers. Almost every choice you make as the neutral party requires a great deal of consideration, lest you lose your 'neutral' reputation and become known as a supporter of one side or the other. This is where a lot of people come to realise that other players, as much as yourself, decide your character's place in society.
BARBARIANS[+]
RANGERS[+]
BOUNTY HUNTERS[+]
MISC. NOTES AND IDEAS

Often, a roleplaying concept can't be given a specific label, or doesn't fit into a purpose-built guild. It may even be designed with the intention of being played solo, without guildmates, interacting with other players as and when you find them. Honestly, when I created my beggar, I never really intended to make a guild out of it. When I finally did place a guildstone, I didn't expect to do any sort of recruitment.

It's important to remember that the experienced player doesn't always need a guild for every character. I wandered around the land on a GM stealth/spirit speak character for a while a year or so back, unguilded, roleplaying a witchdoctor and talking to ghosts.

What about a nomadic gypsy, who carries a bedroll or even a small house deed in his pack, picking up and moving on at random whenever the urge takes him? I could even see him creating a small player event every time he moves on, dropping his house and leaving behind some of the loot he's gathered for new players to grab.

Or perhaps something like the wandering priest I mentioned briefly in the description under 'templars', who roams around the world healing and resurrecting players in trouble?

Every one of us here on this server has imagination. We play a fantasy game about wizards, warriors and fearsome, mighty dragons. All of us, without exception, have at some point conjured up in our minds an image of a sorcerer striking a pose, a savage barbarian terrifying his enemies with his horrific warcry, a cunning rogue striking opponents dead from afar before melting into the shadows.

It only remains to create the right template, choose the right name, dress them in the right outfit and type the right phrases, and that image can come to life. Roleplaying can just be you being yourself. What character would you want to be if Britannia was real? Create that character. You don't have to speak Hollywood medieval to be a roleplayer - you can just be you. I even encountered a couple of people recently, roleplaying order guards with archers and swordsmen in full plate, who used pretty foul language. How is this acceptable? Because they were talking to orcs and savages - their mortal enemies. It made sense that a man who loathes 'evil' characters would talk to my red savage as if he'd just wiped her off the sole of his boot.

Perhaps the most important thing to consider, especially at a time when the RP community here on UOSA seems a little quiet, is to always, always always, deliberately seek out other roleplayers. If at all possible, set yourself up close to where other roleplayers live. If this isn't practical, or it doesn't fit your character/guild, you should at least make an effort to mark their general location and visit them often. Nothing will strengthen the roleplaying community more than being able to interact with one another. It's an obvious general rule of thumb - roleplayers like playing with other roleplayers.

And last but by no means least, come visit me in Compassion desert some time...bryng chukka an koyn! har har :D
Last edited by chainsoar on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Jupiter

Re: The Roleplaying Encyclopedia

Post by Jupiter »

My friend, please add Wizards to this great encyclopedia.

And by wizards I do not mean the typically Halberd wielding 'tank-mages' with insatiable lusts for fighting only with other players.

Here is a general description for a wizard lifestyle that I have been working on as Jupiter:

When Jupiter roams the land he is primarily interested in collecting scrolls of any kind, assisting travelers pass through treacherous lands (like the Savages), or just plain studying at the the Mage Tower and libraries around the land. I encourage telling of tales at taverns with any who have semi-decent story telling skills. Impromptu Wizard contests such as Summon battles are also frequent. When there is a large enough party, I try to initiate 'mini' quests such as running through Hythloth on foot with only scrolls for spell circles 6-8. I also experimented with a possible quest of 'camping' near known Role Playing towns (like Savages) and just letting what ever happens happen. I will engage in fights, but I tend to avoid vindictive or petty battles and I try to play a more 'supportive' role like healing or running interference.

These are just some of the things I do to try and stay in some kind of character, like the Savages and Urks always seeking gold or 'shinies' or seeking feats of strength.

I think the biggest banes to an enjoyable Role Playing experience are 1). irrationally clinging to virtual items that aren't even real (not being able to deal with losing items) and 2). the tendency to just mechanically 'gold farm.'

I think that you can enjoy the wizard template quite a bit and the Mage Tower would always accept any who seek to study within it's halls.

Kander
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kander »

Some day I hope to sail the seas again and this time it will be more RPish with a nice amount of blood lust. But it will be a easy month before I can get on ( Sad face ).

[08:52] <Spitfire|work> chain knows, he's cleaned more houses than that erotic maid service

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

Jupiter, I'll certainly add your suggestion soon. First of all I plan to flesh out the two 'reserved' posts with some good guy and bad guy ideas I've had. Watch this space.
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

Two each for good & evil. I'll be adding more later as I recall past ideas and think up new ones. Basically I'm going to start dumping all my ideas here and hope something sticks. I'll also most likely add a 'neutral' category at some point.

Jupiter, thanks for the suggestion. I've often considered the pure mage playstyle before.

Another thing that occurs to me is that some roleplayers often feel their characters are 'outclassed' by non-RP players who build their characters with the intention of maximising their damage output and survivability. Please, don't be discouraged if you are one of these people. RP isn't about always winning every fight and being the best competitive player ever. Honestly, in-character, we often sacrifice that privilege - this is a cold, hard fact. But the reason we do it is because RP is about much more than winning. UOSA's best known RP guild, the bloodrock clan, don't get upset when they lose because what's fun for them is simply being there and being in character.

I know who my character is, I picture them in my imagination while I play and making them come to life ingame is intensely satisfying. I love making my character Niha (the first savage) become a reality on my screen. Beyond that, dying or losing a fight is nothing. What matters is that Sosaria has met my character.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I effing <3 you guys and this shard.
I will actually be building a pure healer mage somewhat soon. :) I was thinking Magery/Med/Anat/Heal/Hide/Stealth/Wrestle. The ability to stay concealed whilst providing support to weary and battered adventurers.

Forcing yourself into a specific character for challenge and entertainment value is one of the greatest things about RP to me. I didn't build Sturm to be the cookie-cutter PvP template, as you know. I built him according to the character I had in mind when I made him (hence the name). Playing him is a challenge always simply because I don't use magery out of character principle. The challenge is what I seek and the 'hard times' I might face should I actually BE that character....

I know this is hardly news to you all posting here, but to those lurking the forums, RP is here, it just needs you to take part. ;)
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Kander wrote:Some day I hope to sail the seas again and this time it will be more RPish with a nice amount of blood lust. But it will be a easy month before I can get on ( Sad face ).
I'm with yee Cap'n!

Harr!

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Excellent material... but don't forget the Automatons in your list! :D (Alignment = Chaotic Neutral)
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

Seeing as I intend to do some Ranger RP, I'd throw Rangers in there somewhere. Here's a little something I've written up in the past, feel free to use all or some of it if you like.

According to http://codex.ultimaaiera.com/wiki/Ranger, Sosarian Rangers are very diverse individuals. They are well-versed in woods lore, skilled in the use of most kinds of weapons and proficient magic users. Thus, there are no skill limitations for a Ranger. A Ranger is known by his actions and ideals, not by his skills in battle.

A Ranger's alignment tends to be neutral with a slant towards good, although evil Rangers do exist. A typical Ranger follows a philosophy of balance in his day-to-day dealings. Rangers dislike waste, especially when dealing with local wildlife and resources. Rangers are fiercely territorial and will protect their home at all cost.

Disturbedjake

Post by Disturbedjake »

Speaking of Rangers, I was actually thinking of re-starting my dads old OSI guild, The Skara Brae Rangers. Does anyone know of or remember this guild?

Brymstone666

Post by Brymstone666 »

Disturbedjake wrote:Speaking of Rangers, I was actually thinking of re-starting my dads old OSI guild, The Skara Brae Rangers. Does anyone know of or remember this guild?
Yes, in fact I remember there were Skara Brae Ranger guilds on both Lake Superior and Great Lakes. I also remember Yew Militia on Lake Superior having a large number of members.

I really like this thread, RP on UOSA is something that needs to be pursued and nurtured, kudos to all of those that are making a go at it. I think there is a great potential for RP on this shard and with some creative leadership and perserverance I know we could see some awesome RP guilds take root here.

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

I just converted my inactive BUM guildstone to a Chaos stone with a long war list. If anyone is interested in taking the reins of a bandit/highwayman guild along the lines of the one I described in my first post, the stone can be yours.

I don't wish to be the GM of 2 RP guilds at once, as dividing yourself as a leader in this way generally leads to the downfall of both. I would enjoy having a bandit alt, but leadership is up to someone else. If no one is interested, I'll simply maintain it as my way of fighting orange armies solo :D

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

Disturbedjake wrote:Speaking of Rangers, I was actually thinking of re-starting my dads old OSI guild, The Skara Brae Rangers. Does anyone know of or remember this guild?
We've talked a little in PM, but I'll rehash and add to the discussion here in case anyone else is curious. I currently hold a guildstone with the Skara Brae Rangers name and the SBR abbreviation. It also happens to be just behind the Ranger Guild Hall on the mainland across from Skara Brae, just like Puck's old house on LS.

I hope to do some RP with this guild, although it won't be a requirement to join. The guild is mine and my friend's guild (who was also in the old SBR) and it is not meant to BE SBR, it is only an homage to SBR. If you, or anyone else, would like to take the stone in order to emulate SBR's ideals from back in the day I will gladly hand it over.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

BUMP - With a TIP

Remember that the most routine tasks can be an excellent idea for a short Role Play. In my opinion they are the best sources of ideas for short Role Plays.

- Jupiter

Greenmoon

Post by Greenmoon »

hohohoho! Uu ummiez ull blah en nub klomp!