Tales of a Drifter - I never came this way...

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
VoP Denizen

Tales of a Drifter - I never came this way...

Post by VoP Denizen »

The door to the tavern opens to a man who is clearly a stranger to these parts. “Bah, there’s that drifter again,” the barkeep muttered as he routinely hands a tonic to a local patron. “you know he’s been coming steadily more frequently ever since that Zoltan decided to try and revitalize the deserted village of Paws… there’s a reason it was deserted ya’know” he spoke absently only half addressing the patron whose attention he’d never had to begin with.

“Barkeep,” the drifter spoke amiably, “I noticed the golden pavers leading to your fine establishment are rather worn.” He turns his head about with a smuggish look and continues, “Methinks this means you are either too busy to tend to them, though I doubt that be the case taking into account the cobwebs you have accumulating, or you have not the revenue needed to replace such elaborate walkways.”

“State your business man,” Lucian retorted disdainfully, “do ye seek to contribute to my ledger that I may tend to such matters, or do ye see fit just to point them out? If it be the latter then I invite ye to pass across those pavers a second time and n’er return upon them!”

“Hold now, man, I meant no real malice” the drifter’s speech did not match his appearance. A ragged man, but oddly well spoken, at least when it suited him. “I only meant to accentuate the barren state of your fine establishment. I hear even Skara Brae sees more travelers than ye do. I found myself wishing that this was not the case and so I thought I could indeed contribute to your ledger.” He slapped his hand on the table, and upon lifting it back revealed a few silver coins. “I would like ye to speak as openly as ye have to me this day with all your patrons, but take no thought to ever mention I entered this way.”

Upon seeing the coins Lucian’s scowl had vanished and engrained habits of hospitality returned. “And just what can I serve…” he began offering as he looked up; but he stopped mid-sentence for the man he saw was no longer there.