Oaths and Scars -- White Harbor

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
DwMcAliley

Oaths and Scars -- White Harbor

Post by DwMcAliley »

“M’lord Kraw a moment of your time?”

Looking down, Ascher spoke concisely, almost as if he had already deciphered Turbo’s intentions. “I've no time for men of moments. I need men who can contend with the ages. There is an evil afoot that is far greater than any one generation could pretend hold at bay, let alone defeat. Are you such a man? Can you face an enemy that you have no hope of defeating in your lifetime?”

The man blinked, and seemed to relax for the first time in a long while. It was a strange reaction to see, given the question. Ascher's eyes narrowed, but the man began nodding, "Yes, M'lord, I am. I have been. There is something you need to see. Come."

The man turned and walked away, his steps suddenly purposeful and confident. He didn't look back to see if Ascher was following or not, he simply weaved his way through the crowd, managing to move around and among the departing petitioners without really being noticed by any of them. It was an impressive thing to watch.

Ascher followed, intrigued, and soon the two stood beside a magic shop in the eastern quarter of Britain. The man dismounted from his horse, and tied it to a hitching post to the side of the door. Ascher followed suit, and patted Stepper's neck reassuringly. The war horse whinnied softly and tossed his mane.

Something wasn't right.

"My name is Turbo," The man said, bowing his head, "And I have heard of your efforts to keep the Village of Paws safe for the villagers. I salute you, sir."

Ascher ground his teeth, "That's a phrase I seem to be hearing a lot these days. 'I have heard of you...' Shadow among the trees, indeed."

Turbo frowned, but Ascher held up his hand and shook his head, "No, that's not directed at you. I just fancy myself to be much more sneaky than it appears I am. I'm entitled to grumble about it if I please."

Turbo coughed to cover a grin, and motioned for Ascher to follow him. Inside the Magic shop, Turbo led Ascher to a back room, and closed the door behind them, being careful to make sure the Mages didn't take too much notice.

"M'lord," Turbo said, "I have been patrolling the streets of Britain. I know the streats are supposed to be safe, but some things have happened lately. Strange things....dark things.... and I was concerned. That's when I came by here."

Turbo motioned out the window.

"I was riding by, and I noticed one of the King's Guard walking into this magic shop, weapon drawn. Concerned, I followed, but inside I found only darkness. No Mages, no herbalists, nothing. I checked every room, and in this I found something that bothered me greatly. Watch closely."

Ascher nodded, and Turbo turned. Took three careful steps forward, and vanished.

Instantly, Ascher's blade was in his hand, and he crouched, ready for an attack. This wasn't the normal teleportation. There had been no words of power, no sizzle and swoosh of displaced air as the person vanished. Turbo had been there, and then he'd been gone. It was like he'd stepped through a door.

Ascher was just beginning to get very concerned when Turbo stepped out of nothingness and into the room. Ascher took three quick steps forward, and had the point of his Kryss at Turbo's throat.

"What manner of witchcraft is this?" Ascher asked.

Turbo never flinched, simply met his gaze, "That's what I need your help finding out, M'lord."

His calm confidence stopped Ascher. He nodded, and resheathed his sword.

"Come with me," Turbo said, turning, "Watch exactly where I step."

Ascher watched intently, and shuddered when Turbo's feet disappeared. He took a deep breath, and followed, step by step by........

Ascher shook his head, and dismissed the lingering questions. He watched as Turbo walked away with Emperor Necromancer. The Lord Captain of the Imperial Guard was not a man often surprised, but it had happened more than once tonight. He was unsettled.

Xandy came up and stood beside him, silent for a moment. Ascher did his best not to jump, "I didn't know you were here, Xandy."

"I'm not," She replied, with a somewhat mystical smile.

"Who are you?" Ascher asked suddenly, turning to face the shimmering apparition that was, and yet wasn't, quite all there, "Are you a Lady? A goddess? A demon? Or a farm girl run off from home and scared out of her wits?"

Xandy simply regarded him, her calm eyes unperturbed, "I am myself," Xandy asked, "And that is enough."

There wasn't much Ascher could say to that, so he turned and watched as Turbo walked through the doors of the Guild Hall, closing them behind him.

"He will do well," Xandy said.

"I know," Ascher agreed, "I hate leading men like him into battle."

"WHy?" Xandy asked, her voice then and her form fading.

"Because sometimes they die," Ascher replied, but when he turned, she was gone.

Ascher took a deep breath, and looked down at the scars on the inside of both wrists. He felt the heat from the white hot brands every day. He still remembered the way his skin had sizzled, and the smell of his own burnt flesh. And he remembered the second brand, worse than the first.

The second time around, he'd known how much it hurts.