An open discussion

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
Jupiter

An open discussion

Post by Jupiter »

I have seen it attempted on many different shards and in many different ways. It usually starts with a post like this: "a proposal for the rp community". This topic is usually read just to see if perhaps this person is any different.

What I hope to discuss here are thoughts for organized chaos. First, the most important factor in RP is that no one can tell you how to RP. If you decide to join somebody's ranks you are obligated to abide by their standards. But a guild of gypsies or paladins have no business in the affairs of pirates. By nature pirates are unruly and intentional cheats and liars. To expect them to follow any rule of laws is akin to castrating a bull and not calling it a steer. "look its a pirate... Well kind of..."

However pirates are versed in the concept of parlay, undead are bound by unholy laws. It is on these premise that I think chaos could be organized.

There is one rule that I think applies to all: Your home Your rules. If anyone outside of your ranks dares to cross into your home you do as see fit. If you wish to 5v1 omg gank and dry loot that is your call. If you wish to visit an enemy town with murderous intent that is your call, but do so as you are bound by your proclaimed class. And keep in mind that the undead depart after they have satiated their hunger; pirates leave to find other ways to slake their lusts. What I mean by this is to say if there are some very modest and VERY loose understandings I could see pushing for RP guilds to declare war.

Let me state my reason for hesitation to not just declare war without some modicum of an understanding. By their very nature pk RP guilds attract the more experienced pvpers while guilds of good tend to draw the more passive and innocent. While this is not always the case I think a comparison of ranks would clearly show an overwhelming advantage for the pk guilds in terms of pvp experience. The second reason is that I RP with the intention of avoiding the very common Hally-mage combo PvP. If you want to RP a pirate come at me as one. Before I agree to war you I would want to know if you will engage me with RP or if you are just another pk.

And finally despite any one's best efforts to control ranks there are going to be grievances. I would want to know that in such cases we could resolve such masters amicably out of character (or in character if possible). To have an idea of what I am thinking here is an example

Good example:

A pirate encounters a white harbor warrior and demands "give me all your gold" the white harbor replies "over my dead body!". In this case both parties have consented and neither has any reason to complain regardless what is lost.

Now again I realize that not all members would be as versed in rp ettiquette but if the engagements are initiated with such then it would be the responsibility of the respective guild leaders to put any complainers in their place. Alternatively if members of a consensual warring guild consistently behave in ganks without any kind of interaction or engaging they would face being excluded from such agreements.

Now I have said my piece. Please let me know if this sounds like the same proposal or if any of you are interested. Veterans please chime in

Jupiter

*edited for grammer. originally posted from 'smart' phone
Last edited by Jupiter on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ebonmourne

Re: An open discussion

Post by Abyss Ebonmourne »

I'm not quite sure as to whether or not I follow this post. I for one know that at times some of our guildmembers engage in RP at other times some engage in PK activity. The concept of The Guardians of the Dead is simply to protect the sacred sites across Sosaria that serve as resting places of the dead. Some guild members really enjoy the RP opportunities and others simply operate under the original protocol set forth, to eliminate any mortal interference or trespassing within the areas of our protection. If we encounter an innocent simply walking in a graveyard, they will be approached and asked what business they have in such a place. If they RP the encounter and inform us that they have family or friends buried within and simply wish to pay their respects, they will be allowed to proceed unmolested. If we encounter someone fighting the restless dead or "tomb robbing" they will be asked to pay tribute of 100 gold to clear the area of restless dead, if they pay tribute they may proceed, if not they will be attacked. If, however, that person runs they will be considered a robber and dispatched accordingly. (Anyone one who runs after fighting the restless dead upon our arrival is a "tomb robber", anyone who remains is a well disciplined "tomb robber"). If anyone ever has a grievance regarding any of our guild members activities I can always be reached via PM and I will do my very best to resolve the situation.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Abyss Ebonmourne wrote:I'm not quite sure as to whether or not I follow this post. I for one know that at times some of our guildmembers engage in RP at other times some engage in PK activity. The concept of The Guardians of the Dead is simply to protect the sacred sites across Sosaria that serve as resting places of the dead. Some guild members really enjoy the RP opportunities and others simply operate under the original protocol set forth, to eliminate any mortal interference or trespassing within the areas of our protection. If we encounter an innocent simply walking in a graveyard, they will be approached and asked what business they have in such a place. If they RP the encounter and inform us that they have family or friends buried within and simply wish to pay their respects, they will be allowed to proceed unmolested. If we encounter someone fighting the restless dead or "tomb robbing" they will be asked to pay tribute of 100 gold to clear the area of restless dead, if they pay tribute they may proceed, if not they will be attacked. If, however, that person runs they will be considered a robber and dispatched accordingly. (Anyone one who runs after fighting the restless dead upon our arrival is a "tomb robber", anyone who remains is a well disciplined "tomb robber"). If anyone ever has a grievance regarding any of our guild members activities I can always be reached via PM and I will do my very best to resolve the situation.
The main premise of the discussion is to determine if consensual warring could be accomplished without the introduction of excesive rules. Basically the one rule would only apply when you see an orange and is just that in your own territory (as established by your respective guild) anything goes (ie no rp necessary and you can kill on site any intruder.) Outside your territory some form of rp engagement exactly as you suggested above would be required before initiating battle. This would mean that at places like banks you would not just run up and attack an orange. Now of of course exceptions could be made for planned events. This rule would only be in place as a general standard of ettiquette.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

On Rel Por (where I administrated and developed for a few months until it shut down a month ago) several members of the community did something I thought was pretty neat:

http://relpor.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=958
http://rprp.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx? ... ID=3996047

It was neat to see "enemy" RP guilds coming up with neat interactions with each other by agreeing upon (and I don't know how much was arranged between the guild leaders) various objectives. Staff got involved some for the "abomination" event (which was a lot of fun), but if you look on the guildportal page, for example, under "The Undead..victorious!" post, the staff was not involved whatsoever, and yet they came up with a decent storyline with some solid objectives and what-not.

I'm not a super hard-core role-player or anything, but I was really impressed with what they were able to do. It would seem to me that the leaders of various role-play guilds could certainly come up with some very creative interactions that would be fun for the whole roleplay community. Obviously this could be seriously enhanced with some extra tools provided by the staff, but I think that good role players could go a long way with some planning and collaboration of leaders. In fact, a good role player with a single character who can use disguise kits could easily provide some great story for some interesting happenings, though, as they did on Rel Por, I think there has to be at least some loose collaboration between all the role-players who wish to be involved if more than 1 guild is to be involved.

I think it'd be awesome to see more serious role-play interactions happening regularly. I think it's tough to be a roleplayer on UOSA since, as Jupiter said, a lot of people are just out to PK / PvP / grief (though sometimes that can factor in nicely to a particular event--On Rel Por we ran a big event to open a new dungeon, and the Boulderfist orc guild showed up with about 6 orcs, and it was really neat to see the players (some who were certainly not beig PvPers) combine against them. I thought it made for a really neat experience.), so it's hard to do anything real serious--but like on Rel Por, it seems like the loosely agreed about "RP Ring" has a lot of potential for allowing RP events to happen generally undisturbed while still taking place in the sandbox of Britannia.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Thank you for your inputs. I think what this basically equates to is an extension of trust to form a ring or circle wherein one may expand their stories and roles more freely. But I must emphasize that I personally would only agree to join such a circle if there are limited rules (ie the one rule).

Incentives for this would be the re definition of the color orange. Imagine looking around a sea of red and blue players and seeing the color orange. Orange would not inherentlymean enemy but the thrill of finding a like minded person. Imagine all the time you could save trying to establish motives; when yousee orange you would know you could speak a common language.

A long term incentive would be for established rp guilds. By joining an established rp good you could be grandfathered into this circle. You would just need to find a guild that suits your class or if none exists it would give you a reason to interact with the existing guilds to establish your credibility

In addition I have many easy to implement ideas that could enrich active play with minimal oversight required.
Last edited by Jupiter on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ebonmourne

Post by Abyss Ebonmourne »

I would agree with you that warring guilds could be used more dynamically. It would have to be agreed upon in advance between all the guilds involved that orange means "ROLEPLAYER" and not simply someone you can try to roll, dry loot and justify your actions because your guilds are at "war". G0D is certainly receptive to this and would honor any encounters with orange individuals as a potential RPing scenario.

Nicci

Post by Nicci »

Yarrrr!

It may be possible to reach an accord with you landlubbers!

DwMcAliley

Post by DwMcAliley »

I have seen this done before, with great success. In my experience, it is best to keep general rules to a minimum. I think that the more you allow each individual interaction to develop on its own, the more variety and the more effect you get out of it.

For instance... in one guild I was in, we were warred with a sub-guild that served as our guard. This allowed them to loot us on dungeon runs, "arrest" players within our own guild, when the need arose, and so on.

Another guild we were at war with, we actually fought battles against. We'd meet at a pre-determined location and time, and have pitched battles. It was nuts!

Just goes to show that, given the freedom and the willingness of the participants, these kinds of large scale guild interactions can really become a driving force behind the game for those interested. I know that when I was in Silvervale and Shadowcove, I very rarely went to town. I went to the banks now and then, but most of my activity was carried out totally within the player run towns.

Anyway.... just my two cents. I'm all for it.

shonnie53
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by shonnie53 »

i have never played on any other server but this one. and i am learning how to role play and tell my tales. i would love to do this. i might make mistakes in learning but just let me know what i did wrong and i will try to correct it. i take my char. to heart so to speak and try to make her what i see in my mind and how she should act and react. so sign me up and God help us all....LOL with a teacher like jupiter, Lord Kraw and the rest this should be fun and interesting.
Xandy

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

The only guild C^V has and will war was URK, and only because we had a certain agreement between the parts of what constituted the "rules of engagement" and looting protocol.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Pirul wrote:The only guild C^V has and will war was URK, and only because we had a certain agreement between the parts of what constituted the "rules of engagement" and looting protocol.
Agreed. However said 'rules of engagement' had to be kept at a very minimum to innoculate this order from any potential tramellization.

This discussion has led to UOSA RPean Creed

Those who have a strong RP theme in their guild and who can adhere to this modest creedo should be welcomed to try out this new venture.

Something I hope we can support to help RP thrive on this shard with minimal 'rules' required and provide a new way to expand innovative interactions. So far the only real rules are that in such places as NPC towns, Guild towns, and random outdoors areas, RP engagement should be done prior to any fights (if fighting is what you want) basically this rule will allow any who do not wish to fight an option remove themselves from the situation so long as they are not in a warring guild's town or in a commonly understood farming/PvP area. And we are trying to re-define orange = RP-minded person; neither enemy nor foe unless they choose to be.