Old Wounds -- White Harbor

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
DwMcAliley

Old Wounds -- White Harbor

Post by DwMcAliley »

Ascher sat at the table, sipping his ale slowly. He was alone in the small common room of the inn, and he hadn't seen anyone but the serving girl in an hour. The Wayfarer didn't turn a profit on foot traffic...but it had a reputation for a certain level of discretion that commanded a price. Privacy was, at times, a very lucrative business to be in.

The ale was surprisingly good. It was served in a glass mug, a good sign. If they wanted you to be able to see it, it had to be of some quality. And the thick, earthy, piney notes that went along with the deep reddish brown color revealed just how much quality it had. Ascher smiled and ordered two more when the serving girl came back around. WIth any luck, he might have enough time to finish both.

As he sipped his ale and waited, Ascher looked around the inn. It was surprising, at times, how little had changed....and yet how much would never be the same. He thought of the faces, the voices, the laughs he always half expected to be there. He thought about how long it had taken him to accept that they were gone....and how liberating it had been when he finally did.

The serving girl, her eyes bright and a deep hazel color, brought the two foaming pints out to him, and set them on the table. Ascher fished a few fat golden coins out of his pouch, but the serving girl held up her hand.

"The owner said these are on the house," She said, her voice low, "You've paid more than enough for your ale over the years. Her exact words."

Ascher smiled, and handed the serving girl the coins anyway, "If she told you all that, then she probably told you insisting wouldn't change my mind, but to try anyway... Let's skilp that step, and there's another five gold crowns in it for you, ok?"

The serving girl smiled, and nodded her head. Ascher handed the coins over, and sent her on his way. With any luck Samantha might come down and see him herself. Then the night might really get interesting.

Ascher picked up his pint of ale, and was about to take a sip when the doors to the common room exploded inward....literally. The force of the explosion knocked several tables near the door over, and rattled plaster from the ceilings overhead. Smoldering splinters of wood and iron hinges went whizzing and skidding past Ascer.

This was not a good sign.

Zeddar strode into the room, his eyes glowing a frightening shade of electric blue. The Wizard was furious, and he was on the verge of losing his temper.... not a good combination. Ascher rose, and tried to seem nonchalant as he pulled a poisoned kryss from his side.

"What gives you the right," Zeddar began, his breath coming in shallow rasps, "To interfere in my life? What do I owe you that you're putting me through this?"

Zeddar's fists clenched, and he raised his hands, preparing to call down destruction and death itself. The Wizard's face was a mask of pain and despair.

"Nothing," Ascher said, sheething his kryss, and facing the full fury of the Wizard head on, "You don't owe me a thing. Kill me if you wish."

Zeddar paused, and blinked in confusion. His left hand fell, forgotten, by his side, as he tilted his head to one side, regarding Ascher with a dumbfounded look. Ascher waited several moments, but Zeddar seemed at a loss for words, so he continued.

"You don't owe me anything," Ascher said again, "I swore an oath to you. Fealty and service so long as I draw breath, remember? I'm still breathing, M'lord. And so are you, despite your best efforts. I'm trying to fulfill my oath to you."

Zeddar blinked several times, a tear trickling down one of his cheeks.

"Why?" He asked at last, his voice soft and quiet, "Why fulfill an oath to me? I am nothing."

Ascher shook his head, "No. You are an honorable man. I have known you for as long as I can remember, and I know that. You are true to your word, you stand up for those weaker than yourself, and you defend the virtues. You are an honorable man. And because I know you. I know how good you are, even if you've forgotten it."

Zeddar turned his back, but Ascher kept on.

"I vouched for you tonight," Ascher said, his voice calm, but firm, "I staked my own reputation on you. I know who you are, Zeddar, and I know what you are capable of becoming, if you simply let yourself. I swore an oath to you not because I was required to.....but because I believed in you. I still do."

"That drifter," Zeddar said, "He said it would only work with a man who had a truly honorable heart. It worked for me. I'd been sure it wouldn't, but it did. And he actually seemed relieved."

Ascher looked confused, "What are you talking about?" He asked.

Zeddar looked at him, one eyebrow raised, "You don't know?" When Ascher shook his head, Zeddar continued, "Then maybe I shouldn't say just yet... Then what did you vouch for me for?"

Ascher smiled, "The man I was introduced to asked me if I knew any men of pure honor and trustworthy heart, men of fortitude and principle. He asked if I knew anyone I would trust with my life and the life of my closest kin."

Zeddar waited for Ascher to continue, but the silence stretched. Finally, unable to contain it any longer, Zeddar asked, "Well, what did you say?"

Ascher smiled again, and bowed his head, "I told the man that I knew you, M'lord."

Zeddar swallowed hard, trying to get past the lump in his throat. He strode over to Ascher, and put his hand on the man's shoulder, looking him in the eye.

"I release you of all oaths and obligations to me," Zeddar said, "You have fulfilled your oathes with honor and distinction. I am no longer worthy to hold you bound in any way."

Ascher began to shake his head, but Zeddar held up his hand, "Your oath to me was not mine to take, but yours to give. You have fulfilled that oath to me a thousand fold. My releasing you from that oath is mine to give, and it is not yours to refuse it."

Only when Ascher had nodded did Zeddar continue, "Very well, M'lord," Zeddar said, "With that done, I would like to offer my petition to join White Harbor."

Ascher grinned, "I'll be glad to bring your petition to the Emperor and the rest of the Council. I'm sure it will be approved in no time."

Ascher started to turn and go, but Zeddar held up a hand, forestalling him.

"I told the man I met, and I'm telling you," Zeddar said after a moment, "I recognize what you've done for me today. And it is a debt I feel I may never be able to fully repay. But that won't stop me from trying. I am in your debt."

Ascher smiled, and raised his glass to Zeddar. Zeddar took the other pint ont he table and raised it. After a long, hearty drink, Zeddar smiled in appreciation, surprised at how good the ale was....

Jupiter

Re: Old Wounds -- White Harbor

Post by Jupiter »