Bargains and Lost Thoughts -- White Harbor / Mage Tower

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
Jupiter

Bargains and Lost Thoughts -- White Harbor / Mage Tower

Post by Jupiter »

Jupiter had been staring at the manuscripts regarding the ancient rock for hours; memorizing each part of the story until he knew them by heart – as if he had been present at each moment in history when it had appeared for all he knew, he may well have been. Then quite unexpectedly, a yawn escaped his mouth. Had time really flown so quickly? Was this age nearly passed? The time for him to pay his price had come once again.

His knowledge about this price was one of the few memories he’d managed to save. Needless to say, the first two ages after his bargain he had not been so wise with what he now treasured as his greatest possession: his memories.

The Eternities swirled before him in a ferocious vortex.

“As the light of each new age burns dim
So too a slumber you shall seek.
Within these halls you shall rest
and be restored to your full power,
but your memories be ours to keep.”

“But my soul?! Will my Soul will be my own? I shall be free to do as I will?!” His inquiry may well have been shouted into a hurricane as the swirling vortex seemed to swallow his words upon leaving his mouth.

“Yesss. The knowledge that you acquire with each age is all that weeee require…” the voices from beyond the portal seemed to speak in unison and discord all at once. “Buuut we cannot separate that which is sentimental from that which is intellectual. Therefore you must surrender them all to us or none at all.”

“And when I reach you? Will I have a chance to get them back?”

“SILENCE! It is not for you to request more than that which the Eternities have already extended! Your next word shall be Aye or Nay – nothing more shall cross this void!”

What had motivated him to take such a bargain so many ages ago? What had he done for the first two ages? These memories were all lost to him; the only things that remained were echoes of forgotten stories of a man in the mountains or a stranger in the mage courts of old. Fortunately after his second slumber he found the sense to keep record of his comings and goings. And overtime he’d mastered the art of study and with each new age he was able to relearn most of what he had lost while the dawn of the next age was still young. He was always fascinated to read about the events that transpired during his slumbers, but the thing he found most perplexing was the drastic changes in men’s reckoning of time. It was always difficult to be sure precisely just how long he had been resting.

A gentle breeze rustled the pages in his hand and he returned from is lost thoughts. It was only one yawn after all. He would have more time before the light of the great age faded. Plus, he had a visitor!

He welcomed the gentle hand that rested on his shoulder with a soft pat.

“Oh m’lady of White Harbor. It always warms my heart when you arrive. What can this old wizard do for you?”

“He’s returned Jupiter, that Kurse Neverborne. He’s found the path the White Shores and insists that you return that wretched rock to his master.”

“Ah, yes, yes. I was feared this day would come. I had just hoped it would have come a few seasons later,” Jupiter trailed off as he quietly turned the pages face down. “He looked up, you’ve told him the story I gave you yes? You told him I buried the rock and burned it from my own memories?”

“Of course! Exactly as you instructed. But, OH, he is just so terrible. His wrath is being borne by the locals of Trinsic, and their heads are appearing upon the steps to our great hall.”

“Well then, we should give him what he seeks.”

Xandy looked up with shock, “But we swore an oathe to the Guardian that it would never again seen sun’s light. I do not wish to forge two enemies. The White Harbor already has enough to manage with the evil from mens' courts. We do not wish to incur the ire of the undead as well.”

Jupiter clasped her hands in his own, “You sweet honest lady. When dealing with fools you must be foolish. We’ll give him a rock, that’s what all he seeks. By the time he’s discovered it is the wrong one, it will already be in his master’s hand. And his master will not take kindly to Kurse’s betrayal.”

shonnie53
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Bargains and Lost Thoughts -- White Harbor / Mage Tower

Post by shonnie53 »

As you wish my Friend. I will do as you bid. We have been through a lot you and I. *xandy laughs* and I fear this will not be the last. Now Where can we find a "special rock"? I know that you have a place already located. Shall we ride? *xandy jumps up on her bird as she commands her new dragon to follow*
Xandy